Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets put our daughter in a cage...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyHuny, Sep 25, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Another abuse case on the news. A woman and her boyfriend put her 7 year old daughter in a cage and starved her for 4 months. When they found the child she weighed all of 20 pounds. Imagine never getting out of a cage for 4 months, with hardly any food?

As I have said before This happens to thousands of kids every single day. I guess when I worked at the shelter I felt like I was doing something and it was easier to take. Things like this now make me even more mad /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Just a reminder if anyone sees anything suspicious call the cops. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Don't be afraid you will make someone angry or get a child taken away from someone who is good to their kid. That will not happen. They investigate before they do anything. So everyone keep an eye out. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

WHAT IS WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif THEY'RE NOT FIT TO BE CALLED HUMAN!!

I really do think that if we made severe and public punishments, alot of this crap would go away. Funny how the fear of harm to ones self keeps people in check. I'd have no problem pulling the trigger, pushing the needled, flipping the switch..whatever it takes to get rid of scum like that!

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On the flip side, how meny parents are afraid to punish thier children becouse they fear someone call them in for child abuce ??? I think it's a major problem that parents can't spank a child when the kid needs it. With out being taught to respect, kids grow up thinking it's okay to steel, to hurt others, ...ect. I agree something needs to be don't about the abuce cases, but I wouldn't want it to get out of hand. It'd be bad if parents couldn't teach thier kids right from wrong out of fear that they'll get arrested for spanking a kid that stold a piece of candy. I got spanked as a child and I'm glad I did. It taught me to respect others and thier property

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There's punishing your kid though for being a punk and then this... I think people who have issues with a parent who swats their kid on the butt when they act up need to stfu.... but locking them in a cage.... then it's time to hang the parent....

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They put the child in the cage for 4 months, I say put them in the cage (jail) for 4 years and see how they like it.

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

**** JAIL! i say put them in a cage and after no food for a few months, put a buffet table just out of reach by thier cage and fil it up with steak, burgers, and good stuff. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif then when they reach out to try to attempt to get some beat them in the head with a BIG STICK /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

7. Leadfoot

I do think your idea has some merrit (and the thought did cross my mind), but some little kid may see/find out you did this and think it is OK. The kid may be slightly hurt by somebody at school, and in turn beat the ever-living-[censored] out of the kid that hurt them (Vigilantyism), or have someone do it for them. That is NOT the message we need to send the kids these days. I say let their ass rot in jail. If we start putting these nut-jobs/assholes behind bars, maybe some will get the point..... The others we will just shoot /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

This may ruffle a few feathers with folks, but if my kid needs a swat on the butt, they're going to get one. I don't care if it's at home or in the grocery store. Heck I've even done it at church! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Usually with my kids, all it takes is a look and for me to say their WHOLE name in a certain tone of voice and then they straighten up real quick! I haven't had to spank my kids in years, but I think that is becasue we taught them from a young age how to be respectful of others, how to express their viewpoint without throwing a temper tantrum, and so forth. But...I see your point. I know of many parents that are afraid to correct their children when they need it (some of the REALLY need it!). The sad part is, when the kid knows you won't take tough action when it is needed, then they own you.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah thats messed up. My parnets spanked me whe ni was bad and I'll spank my kinds when they're bad but a cage is a little extreme

10. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

in certain situations i see nothing wrong with a little vigilante work.My kid gets hurt by someone at school i do want them to retaliate and if the kid takes a good but whoopin (wich his/her parents probrably wont give them)hell leave lots of kids alone.And these people deserve worse than jail.If they only get jail it should be a life sentance thats for sure.I think child abuse/molestation should be punishable by death in this country until people get that its wrong.

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think child abuse/molestation should be punishable by death in this country until people get that its wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some other countries, it is /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . So is adulteratin' and forincatin'! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have taught my kids to never start a fight, but don't be afraid to end it either. The world is much tougher than when I was in school. I think the worst thing we had to deal with was a class bully that made fun of you. Nowadays if you're weak, you'll be hunted/haunted at school. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking they have to take anybody's crap. I have taught them to make a stand for themselves and others when it's right to do so. A perfect example is my buddies kid. He is a sophmore in high school and he won't even go into the cafeteria at lunch because he gets picked on so much. He spends all his time with the teachers so that nobody will mess with him during school hours (well, he is a big time nerd!). Now his younger son is a different story. He is in the 4th grade and he won't take anybody's crap. In fact there are a couple of 8th and 9th graders that are scared of him 'cause they know if the mess with him he'll go gonzo on 'em! I don't advocate violence, but being too passive can be just as damaging if not more so for a kid. We take our lumps as adults right? They have to learn sometime.

13. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I absolutely agree that children need punishment. Some kids need it allot more then other kids. I can only imagine how I would be right now if my mother didn't punish me. All she had to do was give me the look and I knew I was in trouble. A bum paddling was about to commence. I agree with it 100%. Please don't think I am an advocate against punishment just because I worked at a shelter or get mad about these sort of things.

I think there is a line that you can cross. Beating a kid, or hitting a kid out of anger, or torturing them, starving them is just NOT OK. I had kids who wouldn't sleep in their beds because they felt more comfortable sleeping UNDER their beds. Its the only way they were able to feel safe to sleep at home. That is what I'm talking about.

Every child needs punishment for doing wrong. But there is a way to do it. A pop on the bum is fine with me. But when you cross the line to beating, torturing, sexually abusing your child that is NOT OK. Or beating a kid with an object. I still remember once child who had a perfect burn mark from the bottom on a iron on his arm. That is NOT punishment, that is sick /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    (sorry if I get a little rambly, I cant think of anything that makes me more mad then this)

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Please don't think I am an advocate against punishment just because I worked at a shelter or get mad about these sort of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think that at all! I just know that there are those that firmly believe that you never spank your child..period. I happen to disagree with them. I do wholeheartedly agree with you that there is a line you NEVER cross. The minute you smack your kid out of anger puts you a step over that line and makes it easier to degenerate to lower levels.

It all makes me sick too. It makes my stomache turn...makes me want to round up all those kids, take 'em home, and raise 'em right. Show them what a safe and loving home really is. But there is only so much we can do...that's the sucky part... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif...if I could, I'd take 'em all....

15. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

That is so true. If we all did one thing though, it would make a world of difference. Volunteer time at a shelter, or donate things. Become a foster parent to a special needs child (most abused children get that label). Heck even a bumper sticker on your truck reminding people about child abuse. Or one of the most important, keeps your eyes and your heart open. If you see something that doesn't look right, or all of a sudden your neighbors child disappears get involved. Ask questions, investigate or call the cops. Don't think you are being nosy, your just watching out for the kids. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Your so right though, it seems like nothing will ever get rid of it. There are so many kids every day who go through it and never get the help.

It is so nice to see all of the people who get upset about it though. Not everyone in the world feels that way.

16. Leadfoot

I believe in standing up for yourself (as the song goes, you have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything), and teaching your kids to do the same (knowing what is right and what is wrong). I would never tell my kid to retaliate (****initially****), I would ask that they let someone in charge know, and myself. If the tormenting continued with no intervention from the proper authorities, then I would say to them fight back as needed. Using retaliation to start with only causes more problems......A classic case is my brother in law in California (check the news Papers and tv if you don't believe me). My brother-in-law's (Ron Ratto) brother (Robert Ratto) was shot to death in his car in apparent road rage incident. He was cut off in traffic, so he sped up and cut him off, well the guy pulls out a gun and shoots 3 times (one bullet went into the car and seat, one bullet when into Rob's stomach, and the other into his head killing him instantly). They are still trying to find the shooter although several people witnessed the shooting, they have not found the person responsible. I used to be an eye for an eye kind of guy and take matters into my own hands, but after losing my grandmother and now this I have decided that life is too short as it is and that relatiation usually only leads to retaliation that leads to more retaliation, etc. etc. until somebody gets hurt/killed (and it is usually the "innocent" party).

Like I said, I will instill right vs. wrong, and standing up for yourself in my kids, but never retaliation and to let the proper authorities and laws handle them. My biggest problem is that the system is sometimes too lenient when it can and should be harsher (i.e. handing out minimum sentences or suspensed sentences when the book should be thrown at somebody).

Look at Columbine. One of the parents of the kids who was tormented (and shot up the school), knew their kid was unpopular and picked on, and told their kid to "stand up for himself" and retaliate if needed after years of torment (the parent never dreamed that their child would ever do something so destructive). I know that is an extreme case, but there are instances where that happens.

I *think* you are pretty much saying the same thing, but just making sure I clarify myself, as recent events have changed the way I view life. Ask Noangel (Michelle), I never took any shite from anybody, and if you did something to me, you'ld better watch your back as it was coming back twice as bad for you (Too much of being young, dumb, and full of ...). I have matured a little and realized it only made things worse. Now I just have to adjust my roadside manners (as I really get frustrated with other driver's on the road....but definitely more relaxed now) Sorry for the rant and highjack of the post but it is something I feel strong about.

Mandy I will delete this if you wish as this was your post. Thanks, Chris

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You have some excellent arguements, er rather I should say points of view?? I do not advocate retaliation either. I do advocate doing the right thing, even if it hurts me (i.e. business deals, keeping promises, etc.). I try to instill the right values and common sense into my children so that they don't get themselves into a situation they can't get out of. No, fighting should never be the first response. I have taught my kids that. It all boils down to common sense. We as parents need to lead by example. We cannot be a "do as I say not as I do" type of parent. If we are hypocrites, then our kids see us for what we really are. Scary as it may seem, we are the here and now. When we were growing up, our parents told us "you are the future". Well for us, the future is now. It's our world now, it's up to us to do the best we can to fix the things that are broke. Our children are our future. They will be the ones making/passing laws and taking care of the world when we get old. It's a hefty concept, but one that you think about more as you get older. That is why educating our children is SO important. If we don't do that, it'll hurt many generations, not just ours and theirs. A lot of people only see the here and now and have no idea that what their kids see them doing today is going to affect what they do as an adult 30 years from now.

You have some excellent points! Sounds like you have your head on straight. AFA ,mellowing out with road manners, it sounds like yer growin' up in yer old age! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LOL!!

I don't think Mandy'll want you to delete your post. You come across intelligent and respectful. Not derogetory (sp?) or insulting at all.

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Kids do learn very fast that they can and cann't get away with and if you have been constint on the way you treat them they will know when they are getting into trouble. I havent had to spank my daughter in 5 years.... But I have asked her if She wants a spanking and she cools out what ever she is doing.... As far as calling every time you see something that is happening.... Take the time to get all the info you can before you call the police.... I am a single parent and have had to defend my self 3 times against The Department of Child Protective Services.... My Ex has been responsable for 2 of those calls.... The last was from her school in Cal.. They have all made it hard to raise my child, even when you know that youv'e done nothing wrong.... Each time I have to ask myself if it's all worth it.... And YES it is!!!!! but you still feel like something is wrong... Each time they have closed the cases and that their sorry for it all.... When you call the Police make sure you have the license plate number, discription of the people involved and that your willing to go to court over what you see.... An Eye for an Eye is what I believe!!!

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Amen! I believe that fighting isn't going to solve anything. When I was younger I wouldn't fight (except with my sister) until I had enough by the end of the 7th grade. I rode my bike 5 miles to get to the same Jr. High for my 8th grade year.... I didn't let anyone get away with hitting me, was stabed one that year. My parents would go to P.T.A. Meetings and someones parent would say that your sons a bully.... Until I went to some of the meeting and made these kids admit to starting it and also that they had done it for the past 2 years.... I still believe that fighting doesn't solve anything, It just another thing for someone to hold against you.... As a 8th grader I had kids brother that came to kick my a$$ after I did it to their little brother..... I've always been big that most of my classmates.... it's all part of life. I just hope my daughter doesn't have to go thru what I went thru.....

20. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Mandy I will delete this if you wish as this was your post. Thanks, Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I was always taught to stand up for myself too. My mother told me that if someone hits me or hurts me to hit back. But to NEVER hit first, or start things. Always have a level head, unless it gets physical try to let it go. Not all battles should be fought. I'm so glad she did that because when I was little I got picked on by a group of girls. They pushed me around, called me names, etc... I finally couldn't take anymore and when the biggest girl pushed me I clocked her right in the face. After that they never pushed me around again. .
    Chris, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how heartbreaking yet FRUSTRATING at the same time that has to be. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Its amazing the things that people will do for the smallest things. Kill someone and take their life because they upset you on the road? It makes you wonder how people like that managed to stay alive as long as they have. What draws a person to do such a thing? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif