Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's rehash disc conversions on 10 bolts 1 more time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Let\'s rehash disc conversions on 10 bolts 1 more time

So I've got the disks, I've got the donor axles and I've searched the archives of CK5 all the way back to the beginning of time...... So here is my first set of questions concerning this swap.......

Placing the disk on the axle, I've seen a lot of people putting them on the inside of the flange, using the lug nuts to keep everything together. I want to go to the outside for ease of removal, I'm using disks off a front 10 bolt. Won't go, so do I want the inside of the rotor machined to fit, or the flange itself? Should I go to a shop to do this, or can the high speed $19 4" grinder from HF handle this task?

Go to the outside of the axle flange, should I be prepared to put spacers on the caliper bracket to get the caliper to line up?

And last, but not least; what other vehicles can I be looking at with e-brake equipped calipers besides the Caddys?

That's it for now. Thank you.

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s rehash disc conversions on 10 bolts 1 more time

Why do you need them easy to remove? The fronts are held on by the wheel lugs as well so why not the rear? I put my disc on the back, and drilled out the axle flange to the size of the lugs, then pressed the lugs into the axle flange from the back. It worked really well, and with the backing plate on the inside of the axle tube flange, the calipers line up exactly where they need to be. If you do machine out the inside of the rotor disc, or the axle flange (which may not be possible due to the hole circle diameter), you will have to space the caliper mounts out equally. I dont think just moving the backing plate to the outside will be enough cause the axle flange isnt as thick as the rotor disc... Keep in mind that my answer is based on using the stock OEM front calipers without the E-brake... I am unsure about the alignment of the other types of calipers. Besides that, there are many cars that use rear discs with an e-brake, my 92 Chevy Lumina Euro sedan has them, but I dont know if they can be made to work. What I do know about them is they are dang expensive... I paid around 250.00 CDN for one of the rear calipers a while ago.

Hope this gave you a bit of a help!

Later
    Mike

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Why not steal a setup off of the new style GMC/Chevy's? They have the disk brakes with the integral parking drum brake inside of the rotor. I just dont know if it all would fit over a 15" wheel cause there pretty big. I believe Grim was gonna try and do that setup and Twiztid has the pictures of it mounted on a truck.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd want to do the axle IMO. More likely to replace the rotor than the axle, so you'd be better off having the rotor easy to procure. Of course, with a 10 bolt, maybe the axle is the more likely loser! : )

Other vehicles with rear disks would be the 79-85 Eldorado "clones", basically the other divisions FWD cars based on the same chassis. Riv, Toro, etc., but those got disks a year or two later than '79 as I recall.

Camaro's of the 90's had better disk setups, there is one in the local yard...no springs and such, no problems with the e-brake. (at least nothing like the 76-85 Eldo stuff) If I could get one of those setups cheap, I'd try it out.

Picked up a 79-85 Eldo setup for $40, but for one thing, even having the rotors re-drilled, they aren't even close to fitting over the axle flange. Backing plates/brackets from the Eldo won't fit over the 10/12 bolt truck axle end either. Thinking the '76-78 Eldo stuff is the way to go, if the Camaro stuff is harder to come across. Still have to come up with 10 bolt disk brackets, as no one but the aftermarket (that I've seen so far) makes them, and they are pretty pricey ($100+?) compared to the 14 bolt brackets you can get from people here for $60.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I used rotors from a 90's 4x4 pickup. They have a much bigger diameter inside the hat. They fit perfectly over my 6-lug axle flanges. I am running a 14SF, so they should also fit a 10-bolt axle flange. There are some disadvantages to running a pad wider than the rotor surface, so you might want to use the calipers/pads from a 90's 4x4. To me that's better than having to use custom machined parts that are prone to wear/breakage.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'm with Blue85 on this one - the 88-up IFS rotors are the easy ticket for rear discs... on aything 6-lug for that matter. Warn even used them (with the centers hogged out) as an option for their full-floater kits for GM's, Toy's and LC's. Lots of disc-brake-conversion-companies are using them.

They're roughly the same diameter as the solid-axle rotors (~12") so the solid-axle caliper brackets can still be easily used.

I say ditch the Eldo/Toro calipers - they aren't known for working very well. Use plain-old front types and save your $$$ for a drum or disc driveshaft brake.

7. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Blue85 and I have the same rear axle. I used the front rotors for 88+ chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. They come in 2 thicknesses, 1" amd 1.25", I used the 1" versions. The bracket I got from TSM and I used calipers, pads, lines for an 84 Monte Carlo. I did have to space the bracket out about 3/8" for everything to clear. The axle flange only needed minor filing to make everything fit. Made more sense to me to modify that than the rotor. I have some pics around somewhere .. I'll see if i can find them.