Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lets see how it goes *PICS ADDED* :D

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Jul 5, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

well after running all over town to 5 different stores, i was only able to come up with 7 cans of flat black spray paint. i could have gotten more if i mixed and matched, but i felt it would be better if i stayed with the same brand. so well see how much of the blazer i get painted with 7 cans..
    also picked up both new drag links and ajusting sleeve..so i'll throw those on in between coats...
    i'll take some pics if anyone is interested

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2005
  2. CkYblaZeRBoY

CkYblaZeRBoY Registered Member

yea take some pics man i love a work in progress thats why i love trucks... but anyways are you gona pant the trim, mirros etc, (all the chrome)?

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

5 different stores ?

Walmart has cases of black most of the time at 99 cents a can it don't come much cheaper :D

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah, well i live in the sticks. and there isn't a walmart around here..i will have the pics up sometime tonight..i'm tired and hungry. so i will rext and eat first.:D

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

You mean to tell me there is actually somewhere left that dosen't have a Walmart ? :what: . I can't believe it seems that everywhere I go there is almost 1 every 10 miles.. :haha:

So did you get any painting done today with the 7 cans you had ? PICS

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ok well first i drove up onto my neighbors yard. then i "preped" the truck i'm sure you all have different methods of doing this, but what i did was "scuff" the entire truck with gray scotchbrite pads. i do that do help ensure the paint sticks. then i washed the entire truck. with a "harsh" "strong" detergent. my detergent was TIDE powder laundry soap..i use a "harsh" detergent so it removes any and all grease and wax. then i let it air dry.

while it was drying i removed the old drag link and replaced it with a new one. then i started to mask off the truck. unfourtunally i forgot to go to my storage room and get my tools..so i had to mask more than i had orginally planned. and since i wasn't sure how much i would get painted with only 7 cans. i worked front to back in sections

it took all afternoon, but i was able to paint almost the entire truck. the only thing i didn't get is about a 1 foot by 1.5 foot spot on the very top..but thats ok..can't see it from the ground, and i'll do it later..soory about the bad pics..will get better ones tomorrow if wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Wow looks like mine back in the day.
    [​IMG]

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah it sure does, i can't wait untill tomorrow, when the sun is back out and all the paint has dried to see what it looks like..i know i will have some touch up to do..it got too dark to see what i was doing

9. 85mudblazin

I liek it and its easy to touch up but it doesnt like grease alot. :D All well $20 is alot better then $500+ :D

10. 85mudblazin

Ow and was the hood a biatch to do?? I had to do a few coats for me to be happy with it. Since its such a big flat piece its hard to hide the streaks from the spray can.

11. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah, the hood comes out bad if you leave it on, because you are pretty much spraying straight down with the rattle can. the cans don't like that angle..so you just have to remove the hood and lean it up against a tree then paint it.

12. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Looks good ! Was it hard to paint the roof? I usually have the same problem as you mentioned with the hood painting the roof and you can´t take the roof off of the car :D

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks good. :waytogo: Post some better pice when you get a chance.

14. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Looks good to me. I was thinking about doing the same. I am not interested in yellow but one of my buddies has a gallon of CAT yellow he is trying to sell me. See what happens.

15. 72k5chicago

72k5chicago Registered Member

you are a madman!

I once spray painted a 82 camaro flat black from cans, and afterwards it helped alot to coat it with a matte finish sealer (also from cans) that way the primer black didnt wash away as fast. actually the flat-black looks real cool, and what i liked the most was that it didnt reflect at all and at night was invisible with the lights off.

16. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Looks good...i am a big fan of the flat black look....When i did my burb i rolled it on with some 4" wide rollers and some flat rustoleum. I like the rolled on better because it leaves a nice heavy coat of paint that doesnt "rub" off on the trees as easy :)

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

some spray paint advice..

I'd stick with the same brand of paint!--too many times I've tried to "cheat" and finish painting something with another can of the same color paint,but a different brand,and the "other" brand acts like PAINT REMOVER instead of PAINT!... :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: --I also have learned that some paints dont like to be "re coated" unless they dry overnight,or it will wrinkle up like cottage cheese..you have to either lay it on all at once,or wait a day or two for the next coat,or you'll get frustrated!... :doah:

I thought your K5 looked good red!--my 82 K20 is the same color or close to it(like a cranberry red metallic)...but like yours it has primer and touch up paint all over it, that does not match very well..I'm tempted to get my roller out after I tiger hair a few holes in,and make it all one color again..I find having a vehicle with lots of patchwork paint tends to increase the amount of attention the cops give it..sometimes "invisible" flat black is a blessing... :crazy: