Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets see pics of FORD hi pinion dana 60s installed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Sep 4, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Whell lets see :D

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Here's one.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

What about the passengers side drop dana 60? :D

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you want passenger side drop? you got passenger side drop. :D

p.s. SELLOUT!

10072newgrill.jpg

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pwned

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

PAWNED? :haha:

Lets see up in there now, i did a search, but ,,baaaa

I dont see a writeup on this , sure would be nice. :waytogo:

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Does a 44 count :D

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool :D I dont see a reason anymore having to pay almost 5k for a custom high pinion anymore, after being here and reading about all the other stuff that will be just as strong etc etc,,, so what gives? I know this is yesterdays news, the furd 60 topics and what -not, but, lets see it again? It seems the furds are cheaper as whell. Im just curious as to what degree the ford axles are helping with pinion angle. How much over the standard dana 60 low pinion design?

10. kgblazerfive

I guess if you can live with having Ford parts on your truck its ok I just call axels Dana :D , and my T-case is a New Process :D . I know where a 78 or so extended cab Ford with two 60's, might be a 70 rear and 205 and it runs, for about $1500 so cheap is soo true. I got mine for $300, the whole truck, then parted the rest and make $450 so I got paid for my rears.

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

This is all fine and dandy, but has anyone OFFICIALLY*** done the swap? And made it work? This could again be old news, after the year and a half of being in the lounge , i need to get my arse back in the garadge and face the music :D

12. kgblazerfive

Other then size, the swap that I did can't be any different then a 60, it just bolted in and my only problem is my exhaust and that has more to do with my headers.

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:confused: Hold on , hold on,,,So let me get this straight, they just bolt right in, and thats it? No moving perchs, ? No worries about steering? Just a bolt in High Pinion? No clearance issues? So why not install the High Pinion furd axle from the get-go over the standard pinion setup???????? :confused:

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You have to find a 78-79 axle out of a Ford for it to be a straight bolt in deal. The spring perch width is the same for 78-79 Ford and 73-87(91) GM.

Shock mounts are probably gonna need to be moved, but easy to deal with. brakes you just need to know what fitting is on the caliper. Ford used a bigger dual piston caliper than GM. So that is an upgrade, just doensn't work with 15" rims (GM you can just grind till they fit).

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I would just think this would be something everyone would want, over the reg low pinion 60,,,with the pinion clearance and all, im suprised ,,,lower cost, etc. :confused:

16. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Every Ford HP60 I've seen has been going for more money than a comparable GM or Dodge LP60. Of course there are always exceptions, but this is something I've noticed with the online axle sales arena. From what I've seen, the GM 60 occupies the middle of the price spectrum and the Dodge units go for the cheapest (esp. the external hub versions).

The reason you don't see more of them?
    Could be a few things. As noted above, the 78-79 Ford HP60 axle that bolts into GM trucks is fairly rare. Also, on this topic, the GM D60 is very abundant in comparison, and I'd say even Dodge D60's are more common.

Another thing that was mentioned above is brand loyalty. Personally I think this is one of the most ridiculous topics ever. But some guys would rather have their wife and kids put to death than slap something from a Ford truck onto their Chevy. Personally, I am swapping a Dodge D60 underneath my truck...I've already had a few die-hard GM types roll their eyes and shoot me angry glares for even suggesting this. In reality, these axles were all made by Dana Spicer, and sold under contract to the truck manufacturers.

Basically, while yes HP would be nice, in most cases it isn't necessary. And LP 60's are far more abundant.
    And while some people on the internet will make it sound like LP60's are the devil axles and not spiffy enough, its simply not true. Thousands of GM and Dodge 60's get the piss beat out of them daily.
    This is just my viewpoint.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is nothing wrong with a LP, I just happened to get a deal on a couple HPs at one time so thats what I have now. I paid more for my HP then I did for my LP, but thats just $50 more.

Also, HPs have big dual piston calipers that make them almost impossible to run with 15" rims, so that is a drawback for many(H1 or H2 rims for me, have both), and the knuckles are weaker than the Chevy knuckles. Don't really know why, they are just thinner I guess. Hear of people busting a knuckle on a Ford unit more than you do with a Chevy LP.

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The knuckles are reportedly weaker on a Ford HP60. That can of course be solved a few different ways so no biggy there either but something to consider.

As far as brand loyalty I prefer Chevy's but mine is such a hodgepodge of what I consider to be the best parts to acheive my goal, it just doesn't matter.

I have Chevy, Dodge, Ford and Cadillac on mine. Cadillac is still in the family however the engines are different enough.

I think the reason most don't search for a HP is they are so rare. 2 years of Ford trucks carry the bolt in axle and the rest are difficult at best to use for John Q.

Price on any of them seems to vary from seller to seller and buyer to buyer.

19. kgblazerfive

But you can't just bolt one into a chevy 4x4 you really should change the t-case also :D

20. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

That lower cost is also offset by the cost of a new tcase to switch sides on a GM, not to mention adaptation issues if you want to run a Ford NP205.