Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's see pics of your passenger side D60 u-bolt plates... **UPDATE...PIC**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Jul 26, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Let\'s see pics of your passenger side D60 u-bolt plates... **UPDATE...PIC**

...of the 2 bolts or studs after you have installed springs with shims under them.

I'm curious to what others have done to fix the problem of the 2 bolts/studs not being square to the holes and therefore they angle, sometimes causing the bolts/studs to bend.

I have my '88 V30 with 6" springs sitting on 1" zero-rates and 4 degree shims for now. I will get new zero-rates made with the degree milled into them, but for now its a mock up.
    Unfortunately, I don't like the angle of the studs which seems to put stress on them and I'm afraid of breaking a/the studs later.

I have chatted with Waxer and we came up with an idea to have the u-bolt plates milled for the same angle of the zero-rates. Either that or have a shop make some washers that are flat on one side and the tapered angle on the other.

Any ideas how to fix this problem? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

**UPDATE** Here's a pic of my D60 plate on the passenger side. It has a 4 degree shim between the spring and zero-rate. Just temporary for now until I get the new zero-rates machined for the taper.

[​IMG]

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s see pics of your passenger side D60 u-bolt plates...

I had the same problem yesterday I had an old shim of the same degree laying in the garage and put it on top of the spring and under the spring plate. It worked and I don't for see any problems since it was as wide as the spring. Do you think that will work. I thought it was a pretty good Idea.

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Greg(Greg72) led me to McMaster Carr for their Spherical WashersLink to spherical washers . I will be bolting up the spring plate today, just need to pick up a 4.5"x5/8" bolt, than I will take some pics for you Wes. Oh yeah, I am using 8degree shims too, camber is on point now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Wes,

Yep Pete's right, those spherical washers are an elegant solution to the problem. No milling and the top plate stays "stock".....those washers just rotate in their socket and take all the sideloading off the bolts on the passenger side.

Don't forget to use LONGER bolts for shim installs! It's easy to forget, but even a small shim can eat up a lot of the thread engagement you used to have!

5. thatK30guy

Pete, Greg, as I understand, the washers on that site appear to be tapered on one side and therefore will kind of like slide to one side when the nut is torque down, right? If so, it definitely makes sense and I will be looking into these real soon after I get my zero-rates made with the proper taper. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Well I went to put everything together today and had nothing but problems. The spherical washers did not shift enough to get the top one to lay flat, so I had to enlarge the centers and I had to increase the size of the holes in the spring plate to allow the bolts to be on an angle. I also had to grind out part of the center pin hole in the spring plate since the spring plate actually gets moved forward almost a 1/2". After all this $hit it is still not together, looks like the UCP ride is becoming more of a pipe dream at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'll be tackling this soon so I will take a look and see whats needed to clamp the nuts down...what way are you finding the studs to be going (side to side or front to back)...

8. thatK30guy

What size inner hole did you get? I saw the McMaster site had a 5/8" listed but if that size does not help like in your case, I would say to use an 11/16" or 3/4" inner hole to get it to shift over enough to fit. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

I encountered this same dilema last winter when installing my Dana 60. After considering all the problems people have with sheared spring pins, broken studs, and bent leafsprings, I came to the one and only logical solution.

Links /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

lol, I pondered this for a while, I have 6*'s under my D60...so I bought another set, mounted them in backwards on top, and everythings square

11. thatK30guy

Re: Let\'s see pics of your passenger side D60 u-bolt plates... **UPDATE...PIC**

TTT, with an updated pic on the first post.

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s see pics of your passenger side D60 u-bolt plates... **UPDATE...PIC**

now I see what your talking about...when you shim up the axle the studs are not at a 90' angle to the top clamp plate, so you need the top clamp plate to have the same angle cut on the bottom side as the shim to keep the studs at a 90' angle...so do you use the anti-sway bar and need the side taped hole, I will be making a plate up for my dana 60 and will make it thicker so when I cut the angle on it I still have a beefy plate...

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i never liked the idea of running the shim under the leaf spring just for that reason.. i don't know if you remember when i posted about me breaking the bolts off the housing. but i think that's what caused it..
    [​IMG]

i tightened the ubolt down as much as i could so i can limp back home..

what i did to solve the problem was i just removed the shim all together.. that's prolly not a solution for you, but that's what i would do..

14. thatK30guy

If I remember correctly, you have 8" springs, right? If so, how is the front driveshaft angle without the shims in the front leaf pack? This is what I'm concerned about the most as I will be bolting on a 1410 series yoke on both front and rear pinions someday when the rebuild time gets here.

What would the angle be like with 1410 series joints is my main question here. If they will work and survive, I may do away with the front shims then.

15. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

right, i'm running an 8, but i removed the bottom leaf along with the shim. that put the height somewhere at 6 1/2 - 7.. i'll try to grab a pic to show what the angle looks like.

pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not sure if this is angle you want, but it works for me. i wheel the truck all the time and i haven't had any u-joint issuses..