Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets see some family cages

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Jun 24, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Time to start thinking about a custom family cage style roll-cage (no bolt togethers), I have an idea of what I want but would like to see pics of other cages out there that protect the rear seat area. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll have a full front to back cage done in about a month. What is your timeline?

Bent and Twisted in Chico as usual.

Picked up new leather seats out of an 03 Chevy truck that I can't wait to get on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seems like Dr. Watson will be your best bet - is he too busy to do that type of job these days?

3. CK5

Maybe two weeks, would like to get going, not having another ride for two months put me behind and I'm itchin to go wheeling real bad. I don't think Watson does custom stuff like that, I have a local guy that is going to take on the job.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm pickin my JD2 up on Friday and we should be getting some junk bent almost right away...probably not quick enough to help you out with pics though.

Rene

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Here's BigJ's that is in progress:
    [​IMG]

Echobit:
    web page

<font color="red"> Pics of mine that is now Dan's is in my webshots in my sig link.
    </font>

rockstomper K5

I really like Zakk's and think i'll rob some of his ideas on my next one, but it's not a family cage as requested. Although I'm retaining my backseat, I have to use my truck as a pickup as well since I'm getting rid of the dodge. Dont want anything over the cargo area. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 2Dogs

I'll start sending/linking photos of good cages.

Do you want the kids/extra seats isolated in the cage? I know it is a good idea for the cab seats but I never really thought about it for the rears..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I have begun planning a family cage for my gen 1. I plan to isolate the rear seat as well as the front.

Would REALLY appreciate some pix/ideas, as I have decided to fabricate it myself after having no luck finding anyone to do a good job in the Houston area.

Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 2Dogs

I know you said no bolt-ons but I don't think you should overlook these beauties:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=147578

I will be using these in a few non-essential places. Top rear horizontal tube so I can carry my motorcycles with the top off. One tube behind the seats for harness &amp; camera mount - this needs to be romovable so the seats recline /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif and possiblty one in front of the dash somewhere.

My 3 hoops and their supports will be solid.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's been a complete one listed in the For Sale forum for a while. I think Waxer is the one that's sellin' it.

10. 2Dogs

Some pics of nice cage work:
    http://www.fabworxinc.com/AutomotivePages/automotive_front_page.htm

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is my cousins Heep that they did - nice clean design that is plenty strong.

I don't mean for this to be a high-jack, just posting the things I have been looking at before sending the K5 back to the shop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

funny how she's on top of it...but when i strap her in it's safe...

[​IMG]

12. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

This isn't mine. I found it on-line and can't remember where. Anyways, this is the design I plan to work from for my cage. Some subtle modifications, but it will be close to the same cage. My favorite part is how it tucks up to allow use of a top, but maximizes head room in the rear. I have more pics in the Member's Gallery under my name in projects.

[​IMG]

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I really like the one Laketex referenced in the Rockstomper link, this is very similar to what I would like to put in mine.

There is one thing I see a lot that I don't understand; why is it on family style cages do most people run a diagonal bar from the top "B" pillar hoop down to the rear floor by the tailgate? For the sake of rear seat protection shouldn't that same bar run in the opposite direction (from the top of the rear hoop down to the floor at the base of the "B" pillar hoop)? It seems that without the bar reinforcing the rear hoop there would be more probability that the rear hoop could collapse.

Thoughts?

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Those are NICE, 2Dogs. I want to see a pic of those in action. Maybe I can do a family cage afterall!!!

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Dont have a great picture of the cage. I flared the rear legs out so they are behind the wheel tubs. Leaves the floor clear for loading. That put all 6 of the main legs very close to the perimeter of the truck.

I'll probably be adding some stingers between a few of the legs. I'm seriously thinking of going to 4 point belts especially for the kids. A couple bars will be added in the center as soon as I can get the material picked up.

I designed it to be as little hassle on getting in and out but that has cause comprimise with overall strength. I'll proably put a X brace in behind the front seats and possbly behind the rear seats as well.
    [​IMG]

16. CK5

Cool, keep em comming, I might do an x-brace but haven't decided yet, would be the strongest but the hardest to get out of the rear seat area, stil thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

The top of my cage is now x-braced like this....

[​IMG]

It's gonna be a pain to get into and out of the back seat, but I figure it's worth it. I'm going to run a horizontal bar on the b-hoop for the harnesses, and add some braces from the b-hoop to the rear hoops, as well as lots of gussets. I should be finised this month, depending on when the seats get here.

BIGJ

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool, keep em comming, I might do an x-brace but haven't decided yet, would be the strongest but the hardest to get out of the rear seat area, stil thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep exactly my issue.
    Now the cage Keith and Dep built for Keiths truck is sweet!
    I thought there were some pictures floating around but can't find them.

19. Priest

Priest Registered Member

I'm sure you already know this but, when building a cage it's all about triangulation. Most of the cages posted up here I wouldn't trust in a hard roll over... especially with the weight of a full size on them. Unfortunatly the strongest cage designs are also the most intrusive so it's a balancing act between strength and finding a design you can live with.

The strength in a cage doesn't come from what it is made out of, it comes from how it is designed. Here is a pic of the last cage I built for a customer. He was planning on running a few CalRoc's comps this year so I wanted to be sure it would take a few rolls. (the weird looking bars in back that dip down are his built in cooler rack)

[​IMG]

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Seen that cage in person and it kicks ass! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif