Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets see some TOW RIG w/trailer PICS!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yeild2me, Mar 2, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

post'em....i kinda want to see what everybody is towing these monsters with....these arent little Heeps, or 2800 # buggies, so i know there wont be any 1/2 ton tow rigs.

LETS SEE WHAT YA GOT!!!

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I don't think I have any pic's of my rig all hooked up. I use an 88 Ext. cab Dually with a 20' dovetail trailer. It's one big rig goin down the road.

David

3. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I use my K5 to tow my race car. But when i do need to tow my truck i use a 1998 Ford Expedition with a 16 foot tandem axle car trailer. It works ok but it could use some airbags to level the ride. It always gets me where i need to go. Ill try to get some pics.

Evan

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I use an '81 Chevy 1 ton single wheel 4x4 Crew Cab. My trailer has a 24' bed, but is currently in sorry shape. The last 6 vehicles I hauled on it required some imagination and trial and error just to load and unload. Overall the truck is about 22' long and the trailer (with tongue) is 27' long. Theres a pic or two on webshots.

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Have an 89 1 ton crew cab to pull the bogger . Also have a 21' Class A Motorhome with a 454 which I have to put a hitch on so I can also pull with

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.ca/>http://www.whiteknight.ca/</a>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont know about all that. It's all about how you position the load on the trailer. You can get pretty much the same motors (except for big block and diesels) in both half ton and one ton trucks. Run trailer brakes, and load the trailer right and you'll be ok. That said, I would prefer a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, or hell maybe even an 8000 series International. But I towed my junk on a very heavy duty 18' carhauler behind a '01 Chevy ext cab 1/2 ton with the 5.3/auto. I ran it in 3rd gear/tow haul mode the whole way (800 miles round trip) and ran between 60 and 75 the whole way depending on terrain. Wouldn't want to haul with a half ton every week, but for my once a month trips, it wouldn't be too bad. Btw, I got around 12 mpg pulling 7500 lbs.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram with 360, low gear option, and tow package that I've been hauling the K30 on. It does fine on the road, and not too bad up hills either. Only time it's had any trouble is towing the K30 down a long (40 odd miles) fire road that was washboard, loose gravel, up and down, shallow creek crossings, and switchbacks. Even then it didn't do bad but it had me worrying about the tranny...

That Ram has also crossed the country coast-to-coast towing my wife's 97 Bonneville with 4 people in the cab, a bed loaded half way up the back glass, stuff strapped on the trailer, and stuff stowed in the car (things the moving van wouldn't carry (propane tanks, etc.) and things we didn't trust them to carry (my computer, wife's plants, etc.)). I was WAY over the limit on a 1/2 ton, probably over on a 3/4 ton. I got "pulled over" doing 90 up a rather long hill towing all that. Only problem of the whole trip was I hit a piece of steel at about 11 p.m. on I10 outside Deming NM (dead end town with pretty much nothing) and blew the right rear tire while passing a Semi. I saw it in the road but I was not about to swerve. I was almost around him and he saw what happened (smoke billowing out) so he slowed down. I was rolling about 80 and didn't want to hit the brakes. No big deal, finished passing the semi, pulled over, changed the tire, inspected the others, rolled on into Deming and spent 2 days waiting on a tire shop to open (happened on a Sat. night) because I was not continuing across to Phoenix with no spare.

Moral of the story is, you don't NEED a dually tow rig, but 3/4 or 1 ton with the Cummins sure would be nice in many instances. I've wished several times I had gone on and gotten the bigger rig.

8. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

One word...Ryder! Of course, their trailers are only rated for 4000# and it's a tight fit, but I haven't had any problems, yet. It can get expensive renting the trucks, but it sure is nice knowing you have a ride home when it's all over. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm going to slide this over to Non 4x4. While yes tow rigs get our K5's to the trails, it really isn't tech related.

10. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

This has been my tow rig for 4 years and does a pretty fair job of it.<a target="_blank" href=http://www.fototime.com/B6BF6C2C006D096/standard.jpg>tow rig view</a> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> My K5 is my tow rig .......... It tows boats, ATV's And stuff !

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I don't need no stinkin tow rig. LOL!

My blazer drove 300 miles...wheeled it in a competition...got a trophey, wheeled some the next day, drove 300 miles back. Hell ya!!! LOL!
    And my blazer is the tow rig also. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif