Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

let's share some recipies!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solowookie, Dec 10, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

let\'s share some recipies!!!

here's what my truck get's used for the most... getting into my favorite fishing holes...

so what flies does everybody tie??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I've been tying scuds for up on the platte... got a BMB (bite me booger, or brown leach), orange scud - looks like little shrimp, san juan worm, flash back pheasant tail, bm blood.

then I'm starting to stock up for summer time up here with the following; renegade, and a couple of home recipies that I found to work good up here. same material as renegage, but no tail, or hackle at the rear, and no wings. use the grizzley hackle, or the brown (both work better at different times - before I started tying I'd take my pocket knife & cut the tail off the rear).

I need to get my wings better, and then I'll be doing adams, gray hackle, blue dunn, royal coachman, elk hair catist (sp?), and whatever else I decide to use. will probably tie some #20 scuds for up there too. my brother says he has good success with the scuds up there. I'll try some #18 san juan's, and BMB's too.

here's the pic's of my flies I've done so far... I'm still a rookie though so be gentle.

pic 1
    pic 2

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Re: let\'s share some recipies!!!

I tie flies too... I find it hard to catch their little legs (they're wavin' them things all over the place when ya got 'em on their backs) so I can give 'em a good hog tie. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Nice job jeff on the flies
    I'm a rookie as well when it comes to tying my flies
    Lately I've been tying a lot of midges I wish I pic's and this time of year they would be a good choice.
    Other flies I'll get to this winter will some from Gary LaFontaine and some from A.K. Best
    If you get down this way get a hold of me and I'll take you up to some High mountain lakes. Those Brookies love a Beetle's and Ant's

Eric

4. solowookie

you got web pages or other place I can look at those flies / recipies?

you should come up this way cuz I'm betting my lakes are a lot less populated (with people that is) then your are... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif don't know where highland is, but you shouldn't be too far from some big rivers like the platte etc. you ever hit any of the big rivers?

the flies along the top (where all the tiny ones are), the orange scud, and the other 2 in the other photo are the ones my brother's hitting with on the platte now.

5. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

catist = caddis

6. solowookie

you replied just to correct my spelling??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

have no idea what you just said...in texas we use minners and wurms... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    really though, some day I must try this- sounds like fun

8. solowookie

it is fun, a lot of fun... yes you should try it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hereis a link to my Uncle's site. He does a lot of tying. He also has a touring service for fishing around Reno, NV http://www.fishgift.com/

10. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

fresh water fishing sucks. just my opinion though. theres just something about catching a 400 lb fish that could eat u.

11. Highlander

Jeff these mite work I lost all my good ones when my hard drive went south but I found someones that mite work.

1 This isn't to bad

2 This one has alot of info

3 you mite like this one to

4 this has some good Midges

5 Gary LaFontaine's web site

6 I just found this one

7 This has a lot of links
    I wouldn't mind coming up that way, The lakes I've been fishing you need 4wd to get in to them the rest I need to hike in to them.
    As for the Rivers I like the Blue and The Frying Pan, I haven't hit the south platte in along time, I did drive through it one time though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    What are you useing up there for rod wt.? My favorite rod is a 9' 6wt I need to get a lite wt rod something like a 2 or 3 wt.
    Let me know if these help or not there was one I could find and they had a lot of recipies if I find it I'll send it your way.

Eric

12. solowookie

oh I wouldn't mind taking any trip that was a fishing trip... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've never done any fly fishing on lakes. on a 50 miles hike for scouts once I did a little. everybody had their spinners, and I was literally pulling them out as fast as I could. (everybody else wasn't very happly... LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

I want to hike in & do a couple fishing trips in the wind rivers with my brother. he lives in casper, and knows the north platte in that area pretty well. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. solowookie

sorry, but there's a real lack of 400 lbs fish here... not much of an option... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. Highlander

Some of the High mounain lakes are great fishing, those brookies will take just about anything.
    Next year I'll have to get out more. My Blazer is like yours in a way. I don't have the heart to wheel it like I did my FJ-40. I don't know thing about bodywork one look at my Blazer will tell you that lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I would love to get up to WYO. and do some fishing maybe when I don't have to worry about the Blazer make it down the street.
    Are you going to come down for the Fly Fishing show in January?
    Hvae you got any good books for fly tying?

Eric

15. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

I can get the tie on em it's finding that lil bitty branding iron in that big ol fire that gives me fits

16. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Try fishing up at Grizzley!!! My dog actually caught the first fish up there last year!! She cuaght a trout about 11" in a side stream. From then on, everyone was catching something about every 15 minutes or so. Not to mention the drive up is awesome. My goal is still to get a pop-up camper into Grizzley. Maybe someday after I get one & lift it.

17. Highlander

Where is that at?
    You know I've seen campers that look like they have a lift on them now, It's like they have a spring over done on them.
    The Outdoor shows will have them this year.

Eric

18. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

To get to Grizzley Lake, head South of Buena Vista about 15 miles. Head West towards St Elmo/Hancock. Thats the best I could tell you. If you go, I will assume you vehicle is not stock. Most people would recommend as a min the following: rear locker, 35s, 3/4 ton or better axles. Also, when you get to the top, it gets a bit tight in a Burb. I recieved a few scratches myself. Also, this is not a trail for the faint at heart. There are a couple of very scary sections. I would stronghly recommend only going with someone who has already been there. By the way, I'd love to tag along. My son & I enjoy the 4-wheeling, but also enjoy the fishing.

(I;m hoping Santa bring me a fly rod - I've been wanting to learn!!!)

19. Highlander

It's a wonder I haven't been there, That area is my Favorite place to wheel, With Iron Chest and Tin Cup, Hancock and whatever else is there.
    Your right my K5 isn't stock after I get the rearend fixed it will be fine for down there. That area will open around june maybe july well maybe later. So when I head that way your more than welcome to come along.
    Tell Santa that a 9ft 5 or 6wt rod will work just fine speaking about that have you looked at what you want yet? If not I would go down to the Fly Shop and look at what they have. And see if they have any classes on casting. Casting is not hard but a class will help a lot, When it comes down to Rods hell you can spend up 2000.00 for a Fly rod or 19.00 at Walmart. Companys like Sage, Winston and a local company Elkhorn have some good rods. Hell Cabelas has some good ones as well, Bottom line is look around at what you want to spend try the rods out most fly shops have demo rod set up just for that.
    You could also wait for the Fly Show that is coming to Denver in January around the 4th I think. The good thing about the show is everyone in Fly Fishing will be there you can try out all kinds of Fly Rods and fly line. Theres also Fly tying classes and maybe some Casting Classes.
    Oopps sorry to rambel on /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric

20. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info on flyfishing. I've been wanting to try it for some time. I was up at the Sportman's Warehouse in Loveland and I was messing with some casting with one of their salesman. It turned out him & I had fished some similar areas back in upstate where we were both originally from. Anyway, due to funding (or lack there of), I think I'm gonna get the Cortland Line Combo Kit @ Wal-Mart. I am partial to Cortland line products as they are made in my home town. Anyway, I may look into that fishing expo thnig. I also want to start checking out the sportmans shows to get some idease on camping stuff. Anyway, we'll have to hook up & go fishing/wheeling. Chow!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif