Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's spice things up w/ video questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys I was messin' with the truck this afternoon and ran into a few things that I have been wondering about for a long time and decided to shoot a video questionaire so that you can see exactly what I was talking about.

Video One: Self explanitory.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2143270053876797991&hl=en

Video Two:
    The engine idling and then w/ some throttle input. It sounds like I'm reving it like crazy but it was just the mic on the camera. The reason I posted this one is to see about some wierd vibrations. One of my buddies who runs an old Bronco w/ a 5.0 Mustang engine said that it felt wierd, I told him it was probably because of the huge bias ply tires but he insisted that it was not normal to have vibrations while decellarating. He thought that a piston wasn't firing and throwing it off wack. Although the camera was moving a little (balanced on the battery) if you use the firewall as a guidepoint and watch the dip stick tube and the intake tube you can see what I'm talking about.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7549970385460618954&hl=en

Video Three:
    Basically the same thing as video two but I film the exhaust also so you can hear the idling (turn it up). It's as steady as a rock but who knows he is a F*rd guy after all. LMK what you think about all this junk.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=186702427860021929

-Avery

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think that chances are one or both of your engine mount bushings are shot & causing most of the vibration / torquing up when you rev it.

BTW -- you've got a very odd accent, lol

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I'd blame that on engines mounts too.

Also your truck sounds real smooth when you had the camera by the exhaust. Also I am surprised to see that the only rust on that truck is on the exhaust :eek1: ! Around here a truck like that would have chunks falling out of the rocker panels.

4. Avery4jc

Ok, it isn't a lot of vibration while sitting there but it's a little more aparent when I'm actually driving which I think is from the unbalanced 38.5" bias ply's on the street. Eventually when the motor is out I'll replace them but should I worry now?

Oh, and the accent thing is all relative. I bet you have a funny accent too, if someone from California heard a Canadian they would think you sound funny and you Canadians think we sound funny. :haha:

Yep she runs real smooth. It fires up quickly for me and idles like a rock. It sat for three weeks and I went out and pumped the throttle about 4-5 times and she turned over for about 3 seconds then vroom! Fired right up. It even works in really cold weather (well about 35* is the coldest it gets around here) it starts right up and warms up quickly. Remember my trip to Pismo story? It ran for over 2 hours and about an hour of that was in town start and stop and the next hour was basically wot (desperatley need new gears) all the way to Kettleman City which is about 80 miles away in 105* heat and it was cold as ice when I finally stopped, great engine!

As far as rust there isn't any besides the stock headers and the exhaust system. Overall a steal of a truck for $3500. I'm really wanting to put some glass packs on soon even though my Flowmasters sound nice I want to give glasspacks a try. One thing I've learned is sometimes you just have to give things a whirl and if I like them I'll keep them, if not I'll put the flowmaster back on so I'll see how that goes.

Does anyone have any insight to the first question?

-Avery

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that mess that you pointed to IIRC is the vent canister for the fuel tank
    the line going to the air cleaner that is leakin, is it sucking in? IIRC mine has the same type deal hooking to the air cleaner assembly, i think its a vac line that pulls more air into the motor, as far as it leaking, not sure what you can use to seal it, i`d check that line to see if its cracked or soft at the end, if it is, i`d replace it

6. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Video one, "the mess" is your charcoal/evaporative canister. Excess fuel vapors from you system run throught this and get returned to your fuel tank.

7. NEK5

x3 on both accounts:D

8. NEK5

HAH HAH i got it before you did!:Dnoob:D

9. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to say that is a damn cool idea to ask questions with a video. Makes it pretty easy to figure out what you are talking about.

10. Avery4jc

Yeah I figured why not, it took a little more time but I now have exact answers to my questions. Better than "what's that little black thingy with the hoses coming out of it under the hood and why does my engine shake"?
    :haha:

Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone that has a similar year blazer/k10/something know where that line off of the intake goes to? I followed the hose and can physically see where it goes but I don't know it's purpose. Thanks!

-Avery

11. NEK5

what line are you referring too? where does it go?

12. Avery4jc

The line I pointed to in the first movie. It curves over to the passenger side and drops down into the jungle of vaccuum lines/electrical lines for the smog.

-Avery

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On my trucks, it was in a different location than yours, but it looks like the fresh air supply for the crankcase. On the inside of the air cleaner there might be a foam pad that is used as a filter, and the suction should be coming from the PCV valve sucking air out :)

14. Avery4jc

I have that (at least the line w/ the foam filter in the can) but it's on the rear/passenger side of the can. This is strange, I don't think it's a problem I'm just currious as to what the heck it is. I'll go snap some detailed still shots of it and where it goes.

-Avery