Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk 10 bolt tech once again boys and girls...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Let\'s talk 10 bolt tech once again boys and girls...

First off, if I get any "get a 14B" comments, you'll be banished to a lifetime of shame and misery as Hillary Clinton's love slave.

Now on to the topic. Just a few questions. First, if the c-clips don't fall out, snapring pliers? Second, will a gov-lock in a 3.08 geared rearend work for 3.73? And next item, after I get the axles out, take off the bearing caps and I will be able to take out the carrier? And lastly, '85 and '88 10 bolts, everything should be interchangable, right?

Now on to some commentary. Those Gov-Locks, look kind of dinky, don't they. Oh well, doesn't matter since this a spare.....Thank you and goodnight.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s talk 10 bolt tech once again boys and girls...

Dont know about the C-Clips, The carrier should be a direct change over. Yes, just pull off the bearing caps to get the diff out and make sure you mark them! and make sure you remeber where the shims go, that way it will be a heck of a lot easier to set up when you get ready to put it in the other rear end. Only thing that might be different is the axle shaft spline counts, just check that before you start throwin everything together.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I don't know if you caught it, I'll be taking the 3.08 gear off and installing the 3.73 on this gov-loc.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Who cares,STFU and git a 14 bolt.

[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Once the cross shaft is out push the axle inwards and if the C clip doesn't fall out use a screwdriver to help it out. It's not under tension like a snap ring or anything like that. Then pull the axle shafts out.

I am pretty sure the 3.08 carrier is the same for the 3.73's. I think the carrier break is at 4.10 and down. The first year for 30 spline shafts was 89 so both your diffs would have 28 spline shafts...so no trouble there. As Zcarczar said stamp the bearing caps so you can orient them exactly how they were. I usually mark the upper part of the caps with one dot using a center punch and two dots on the other side. To make it idiot proof I make similar marks on the housing itself inboard of the bolt circle for the cover. The marks don't need to be super deep...just enough that you can find em again.

I don't think you should get a 14 bolt...

I'd say a 2.5 ton Rockwell would be better/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They are more aerodynamic than 14 bolts...

Rene

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I remembered that C-Clips fall out pretty easy when the Gov-Loc gernades itself, dont ask me how I know this.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just don't get the whole 10 bolt thing when it easy to swap in a __ ____ __ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well Paul we dont need the big heavy 14 bolts, we are high speed desert guys. There is no need for over building things in the unsprung wieght department because it just makes things handle a lot worse. Plus look at the MOO Blazer, it was running 1/2 ton stuff on 37's.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

You're just jealous since I don't have to worry about breaking, I have a spare. BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA. Wonder if I can build me a rack in the back to carry a spare rearend?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Thanks Rene. I worked on them with screwdrivers and they weren't coming......

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

get a 14 bolt...
    and shave the hell out of it, then shave it down to 6 lug then never worry bout weight or strength.

oh, yeah. they should come out. get a SMALL set of pliers an grab them. the c clips that is
    carrier break is 4.10 you will be fine.
    all parts from those years are interchangeable.
    i got a 14 bolt for CHEAp!!
    grant

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You should convert to IFS and IRS and get rid of all that unnecessary unsprung weight /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh wait, Honda already makes a CRV... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Just messing with the <font color="orange">"Z" car czar</font color> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Rene

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like the others said.....

STFU and get a 14 FF! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

But if thats not big enough, dont get the 2.5 ton Rockwell.....go bigger!!! Get the 5 ton Rockwell instead!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Get the 5 ton Rockwell instead!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Anything bigger than a 5 ton Rockwell?

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hehehe Scrap the 10 and go to a 12. 12 runs bigger bearings in the pinion and carrier. That's a major failure point of the 10's. Personnaly I think that it won't stand up to Pre running. They don't stand up to street driving. I blew one out at 60k in a very well maintained work van.
    Then there is the ring gear. problem. I don't know if you can reuse the 3.08 carrier. If it's the same as a 12 the carrier break is 3.73. Everything under 3.73 uses a series 3 carrier and 3.73 and above uses a series 4.
    Granade locker...if your going to fly this truck your going to experiance why it got that name. When it has a rapid wheel speed change like what would happen when you touch down...BOOM it will blow. Get something else like a Auburn or a Eaton Posi with Carbon fiber clutch pack if your going to go for a LS.
    Go 12 and truss. You could also go SF 6 lugh 14. Much stronger than the 10 and 12 but not the mass of a 14FF.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, there are axles bigger than the 5 ton Rockwell. I'm not the Rockwell expert, so I couldnt tell you what is bigger. I have heard of a 20 ton axle before. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Why not give Mark Boyce a call and ask him? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'm actually running a 12 right now. In the course of my misadventures, I've picked up a couple of 10 bolts. They are basically my R&amp;D department, plus it will be nice to have something to bolt in when it's time for the 12 to get a rebuild.

As for prerunning/racing, Pugsley was the man when it came to this knowledge, pretty lively discussion, but as many rearend threads that there are, it'd be a cold day in Hades to find it.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Why not give Mark Boyce a call and ask him?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't think you Kansasans could give my hoes 24/7 to even let me afford placing the call to him. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One thing I tried and worked for me was to spray some brake parts cleaner and then blow it off with air compressor, it fell off easy.
    You did remember to push the axle in a little to take it out did you? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

One thing I tried and worked for me was to spray some brake parts cleaner and then blow it off with air compressor, it fell off easy.
    You did remember to push the axle in a little to take it out did you?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, if I needed an air compressor to blow, I'd called the ex.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Reality, I don't want to brake clean them since the parts will be out for awhile......

Yeah, I was pushing the axles in. Kind of surprised me since the other ten bolt, I had no problems with, the c-clips fell right out.