Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets talk about A/C gauge manifolds and vaccum pumps

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by afroman006, Mar 19, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I am fixing to break down and buy the stuff to do A/c work and dont know what to get. I am dead set on getting good stuff, I wont be using it very often but I intend to have it forever. I was looking at the gauges the sell at napa and they are $59 for the 134 set. I think they are decent quality too. As far as the vaccum pump, I was looking into getting a harbor freight one, people seem to be happy with them. Thoughts and ideas?

2. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I work in the HVAC/R field as a service tech, if you want the "good stuff" you might want to rethink it. I have a couple pair that cost me almost $300 a set, and I rebuild them once a year. Vacuum pumps vary according to size, for what you would be using it for, and how often you would use I would just settle for a basic set of gauges. I am not familiar with the Harbor Freight pumps, I only use Robinair pumps. Good HVAC tools are way overpriced on a good day.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To do serious a/c work, you'll want a real mechnical vacuum pump. The one that connects to an air hose will draw down a decent amount, but a good mechanical pump will easily draw the system down another 3 inches more.