Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk about brakes !

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Goober, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Apr 26, 2002
    As I was goofing around under the hood of my 1978 Suburban yesterday I notice I had some fluid leaking from my master cylinder right where it bolts to the booster.:doah: Time for a new one!

Since the master cylinders are so cheap for these trucks ($12. - $40.) and parts interchange all over the place, what would be the best option?

Currently I've got the "standard" lightweight 3/4 ton running gear (d44 - 14bff) and I'm planning on putting disk brakes in the rear someday (when I have more that $1. in my pocket:blush: ). My initial thought is to find a master cylinder with the largest bore piston I can find and huge reservoirs. Is this a good idea, a waste of time or potentially dangerous?

What about changing to the newer style master cylinder with the aluminium block and plastic reservoir? Is this a better design or a piece of crap? Will it bolt onto my booster?

Part numbers?

General recommendations?

:ears: :ears: :ears: :ears: :ears: :ears: :ears:
  2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Nov 28, 2002
    From the various previous threads on which m/c to use with rear discs I'd use the stock replacement m/c.

Do not mess with the bore size unless you have a specific reason to do so. Only point of an aluminum m/c w/ plastic reservoir is to save weight.
  3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Mar 5, 2001
    bore size of mastr cylinder depends on gvw of truck, IE bigger springs option usually always meant larger brakes option, in which means larger piston diameter in master cylinder and i dont know that master cylinders with different bore diameters will interchange beween different boosters, Ie boosters that had master cylinder bolted to them with a different piston bore diameter than another,

would depend on if pilot bore hole in the boosters are all the same or not, in which i am unsure, hmm..

good luck