Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets talk about electric fans.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I have the factory stock fan on my K5. I've never had a electric fan on a vechile that wasn't factory equiped with one. So let talk about them. Pro's and con's. What you think ??? (No I didn't do a search, and I really don't want to either.)

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Rather than waiting for people to respond to the thread, a search really would benefit on this topic as it has been discussed and debated here many times.

1st Search Result

2nd Search Result

It really was very easy....

Forum or Category to search
    All Forums

Words to search for
    Electric Fans

Search options
    Entire Phrase And Or By Display Name

Date Range
    6 months

Number of results to show per page.

I honestly dont know why people dont bother to use the search function for general quesitons like this. I can see with specifics on a particular problem, but for something general like "electric fans", or "Roll cage", the search is the best way to go. No waiting for people to respond. It's all there at your fingertips /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Rather than waiting for people to respond to the thread, a search really would benefit on this topic as it has been discussed and debated here many times.

1st Search Result

2nd Search Result

It really was very easy....

Forum or Category to search
    All Forums

Words to search for
    Electric Fans

Search options
    Entire Phrase And Or By Display Name

Date Range
    6 months

Number of results to show per page.

I honestly dont know why people dont bother to use the search function for general quesitons like this. I can see with specifics on a particular problem, but for something general like "electric fans", or "Roll cage", the search is the best way to go. No waiting for people to respond. It's all there at your fingertips /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Too be completely honest with you, I'm pretty sick of the whole "Do a search thing". I've spent hours, and hours searching for whatever, didn't find what I needed. Then when I post questions about it, I get flamed and told too do a search. It gets really frustrating when some people just say "Do a search". I've gotten to the point I don't want to post anymore. I do thank you for the links. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats more then most people will do. I just wanted too start a new thread about electric fans. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i plan on running an electric fan in mine why because i can turn it off for water crossings. during the winter i can turn it off for a few min to warm it up faster to get the heater working faster. the only bad part is if it stops working your screwed as far as cooling goes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well most the time its ur switchs and wires going to them that fail or the relay. So all you do is unhook from relay and hook to battrey hot side and there you go. other thing is buy some good ones from summit or jegs like perma cool,Flexalite,ect... I had 2 fans i made into dual elec. fans and it worked well for about 6 months then it all went to S#@% so i put the clutch fan back on. I plan on ordering a dual fan kit from summit/jegs for the street beast.

6. mudhog

this is true i was just talking about the actual fan going out but that don't happen very often /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Screw that $$$$ crap from Summit. Go find a fan out of a Ford 3.8L, early '90s. Those things will suck a cat through the radiator. Got 2 for $60.

Now...........................doing a search like Waxer said would turn up more info than whores in Nevada..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

So if a 3.8 taurus fan will work then so should an 87 vette fan work. I have it hooked up to my engine run in stand that I am still working on. It was a new fan I got from GM parts dept a long time ago. See pic on what I did for homemade brackets. I guess I will mount this one in my truck soon.
    [​IMG]

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Ford Mark-8 single fan pulls about 5000 cfm but its pretty loud. The dual 95 winstar setup might be another option. I will do the winstar conversion to mine cuz I have a set and I already did it on my 71 ElCamino and it works great just running it with a thermal switch and relays. However...you must make sure your alternator is rated high enough to pull the extra load or your now into an alt swap.

Heres a pic of the fans on my car
    Winstar Fans

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ford Mark-8 single fan pulls about 5000 cfm but its pretty loud. The dual 95 winstar setup might be another option. I will do the winstar conversion to mine cuz I have a set and I already did it on my 71 ElCamino and it works great just running it with a thermal switch and relays. However...you must make sure your alternator is rated high enough to pull the extra load or your now into an alt swap.

Heres a pic of the fans on my car
    Winstar Fans

[/ QUOTE ] My first job was rebuilding alternators and starters. The 7127 is pretty easy to modifie for higher amp output. Just swap in a heavier stator. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the only bad part is if it stops working your screwed as far as cooling goes

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know everyone uses the 2 speed fans from the f*rds. this being true you can always find one on the side of the road somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. mudhog

well that is true /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i don't think the owner would appreciate that though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

want to modify ne one?? If you have time send me a pm with more info /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    So if a 3.8 taurus fan will work then so should an 87 vette fan work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think, but that depends on engine, vehicle weight, usage, and cooling efficiency of the radiator/placement and design.

Lots of problems with cooling heavy V8 vehicles with electric fans, apparently most of the time, just not enough CFM. Not saying it can't be done, but that the problem occurs often.

To be honest that looks like a pretty wimpy fan compared to the later dual setups they were using on the LT1/LS1's, but that may work fine for the earlier V8's in a different chassis. Guess you just have to try. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif