Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lets talk about "front" spring flex

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Jan 8, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

lets talk about \"front\" spring flex

ok, as soon as i flip my overload spring on the rear springs, i will be satisfied with that end. my next concern will be the front. heres what ive got--4" rough country springs and soon to be installed HD ORD shackles and greasable bushings. i havent touched the springs, meaning, the clamps are still tight against the spring pack, and it looks almost as if rough country dipped them in paint before shipping and the dried paint is acting like a "glue" to keep the springs from opening up. when i open up the clamps, and clean up all the extra paint, what else can i do to improve droop?? the springs will be off the truck, so i will be able to do about anything.

all ideas welcome!!

thanks rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: lets talk about \"front\" spring flex

I would open the clamps and if you want just install a bolt like the rear end uses. Also to improve them I would get that four letter plastic that Jason(jekbrown) used..no not those four letters[​IMG] it's UMH something????
    and is you want to go all out you can grind down all the ends of the springs so there are no sharp edges, it allows the springs to move better with one another..if you don't get the fancy plastic get some anti-sieze and coat each spring.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Re: lets talk about

Well If you still have $$ i would go w/ the ORD DIsconnects, they really let the axle move.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, 14ff, (soon to be- dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

4. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

greasable bushings, disconnect sway-bar, teflon inserts, smooth out leaf edges, open up spring clamps, and anti-sieze are just about all you CAN do without buying new custom flexier springs, $$$!

youll also want to pay attention to what limits travel, ie. swaybar, shocks, steering components, sheet metal, etc.

good luck!

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I would grind the edges,cut the clamps, and put the teflon plastic inbetween the springs.After you do this you will find the stock shock mounts will limit the shock you can use so go and get the ford front shock mounts and use the longest shock you can fit.Rancho 9012 or 5012 work good.Also don't waste you $$ on the disconects just toss the swaybar.I pulled the swaybar off my old Sub and had no probs.I put the disconects on my Blazer and found it a pain in tha a$$ to pin them back up.And I didn't notice any difference without the bar on the highway.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Where do you get the teflon inserts after-market? My rear spring packs have pretty much worn out (or lost) the plastic inserts that the factory had in there.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Okay first. Don't waste your time! We have vitrually the same set up and was nearly identical on the RTI ramp. The problem we have is the rear. Those BIG TIRES. When we were flexin on the ramp we noticed that my rear tire(opposite the one on the ramp) was "hitting" the inside of the wheel well. Not the top but the bottom lip since we run the 14.50 width. If you get a skinny tire it wll go up in the wheel well an flex better. All the above suggestions are correct and will work but if you run those tires and want more than what you have you must tub out the wheel wells. Because that was my limiting factor. I never rubbed the front fender! But it would if I got the skinnier tire!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Superlift used to offer the inserts.....if you look in your yellow book contact a retailer for industrial grade plastics and plastic products, also look under industrial materials supply.....my dads company gets it in sheets of 3' x 5' then we cut it to suit our needs... I would not get anything too thick its real brittle..

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Problem with making your own is there would not be any little snaps to hold them in place. They would fall out when the pack stretches out for droop, unless I'm missing something. I guess you could put full length strips in there. Maybe some of that high density plastic they talked about on one of the other spring posts. Thanks.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Keith,

Your comment about wide tires and where they rub interests me....just to clarify, the rubbing does not happen on the outer edge of the fender (at the lip) but actually on the metal in the "tub" area? (Have I paraphrased you correctly?) [​IMG]

Are you using any wheel spacers in the rear to get the same track width as the front? I know that the Blazers came about 3" narrower in the rear from the factory, so a 1.5" spacer on each side might give the extra clearance for those big meats! Maybe you've already done this...just thought I'd ask.

I'm planning to go with 38.5x15.5x16.5 Swamper Radials on my own rig, and I'm trying to anticipate as many of the problems as I can NOW. [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

11. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

sounds odd but i had a 72 GMC 3/4 and the springs sqeaked and drove me nuts so i took them apart striped and ground the rust and paint and painted them with teflon coat from a cooking supply store,dunno how much that helped but they never made a sound again.
    goodluck

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"

12. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Yes I have the 1.5 spacers and the rubbing is on the inside not the outer. You said it right.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>