Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets talk about Mountain Lions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gotmud77, Apr 12, 2005.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I live in central pa near state college and latey people have been seeing a mountain lion during the day. Different people have seen it. All the people that have seen i trust and they are all older and have nothing better to do then relax and take there dogs for walks.

I guess my questions are

1 Is it normal for a mountain lion to be seen during the day time?
    2 What the heck is a mountain lion doing so close to a bigger town?
    3 Whats the best way to get a look at it? Pic,or what ever?

It just doesnt seem right that one has been seen several times during the day and i guess i am just concered about my small children and the others in the neibourhood. A couple of the people that have seen it have called the game commision and the say they must have seen something else and there are no mountain lions in this area. I say the are telling a fib and its just like the coyotes that the imported to this area to take care of the deer population. Till this day that wont admit that they imported the coyotes.

Well i guess i will just see where this post gos and go from there,

Thanks in advance for any info, Jim

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mountin Lions will go after small animals like dogs and cats. Has there been any reports of missing pets in your area lately ??

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I hung out on a PA hunting board for a while, and there was talk of the mountain lion on there every now and then... But a couple old timers said that's a several year old "legend".
    Basically, people have been sighting this supposed mountain lion for years, but no one's ever been able to find it or find tracks, etc from it, and it's never harmed anyone or anything. That's probably why the game commission isn't too worried about it.
    Maybe one was really sighted a couple years ago or something, and it just keeps cycling by word of mouth as if it were new.

Personally, I wouldn't worry much about it.

But then again, you're asking about PA and a guy in NY is telling you not to worry about it... :thinking:

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Might be an old/sick one that can't catch wild game, so it has found an easier food source. They are normally pretty shy about human contact, so there has to be a reason it is coming so close to humans. Any wooded areas been taken out lately for building projects-that might be where it came from. A decent size LOUD dog will usually scare them off, unless they are really desperate for food. We have a regular hunting season out here for them, and I am saying about them is what I have been told by the guys that hunt them. I know 1 guy that got 2 of them at the same bait station, on consecutive days, the blood had not even dried from the first kill when the second one showed up, so they don't seem very smart.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Yes, you can see mountain lions during the day.
    Yes, they are beginning to be seen more often in urban environments as urban sprawl encroaches upon their natural habitat.
    Yes, they will come into civilized areas foraging for food if the food supply is scarce.
    Yes the authorities will take the reports with a grain of salt until somebody snaps a pic of the animal and calls the media with it. In Ca. mountain lion attacks have been a hot topic as of late. I've never heard of coyotes being imported by the way. It would surprise me to hear of that being something official. Usually relocation is done the other way around with predatory animals being moved farther from civilization, rather than closer.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

He's actually thinking the same thing, "what the heck is that person doing so close to my territory."

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My buddy Stan and I went fishing a few weeks ago and on the 6 mile FSR up to the lake we saw a Mountain Lion cross in front of us by about 100 yards. That was the first one I've ever seen outside of a zoo...

There was no mistaking it for a Coyote, a mountain lion walks very differently from a coyote and the legs on a coyote are spindly and awkward looking in comparison. I had my camera with me, and it was nearby but by the time I turned it on the mountain lion had disappeared into the bush on the other side of the road. :crazy:

At least it was in an area where you would expect a mountain lion to live...in the mountains far from humans.

Rene

8. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry too much about the mountain lion. As DesertRat said, we have pleanty of them out here in CA and attacks are extremely rare. With all the other crap in the world today, it's not worth worrying about.

<RANT>

As for importing predatory animals... Talk to any hunters from Idaho who now have to deal with the rapidly growing wolf population that the environmentalists managed to get imported from Canada a few years ago...

Didn't our forefathers eliminate the wolves there for a reason???

</RANT>

9. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I am sure that the game commision imported to coyotes to control the deer population for the car insurance companys. If i see it i will not mistake it for a coyote but some of the people that have seen it may. They are all older people that would not be out hunting. There have been no big construction jobs that would have effected there habitat in this area. Theres lots of state forest nearby. The only thing i can figure is its a food demand thats driving them or one of them. I have not had any of the neibours say anything about missing pets or seeing dead animals. I do know that the dead deer along the road are only lasting a couple of days till something is draging them off the road and eating them. This maybe the coyotes.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had one in my back yard awhile ago I think it was around 10 in the morning if I remember, all the neighbors thought I was nuts until 2 of them started showing up about 5 miles closer to town...Definately get the blood flowing... :cool1:

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Because of their precious little cows............................. :mad:

12. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Recently there have been several mountain lions in town in Palo Alto, CA. Two of them were killed because they were found near an elementary school. I never heard what happened to the third. They decided against relocating them because they thought it was highly likely that they would just find their way back.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Guy here in the Black Hills has a couple Mountin Lions as pets. Pretty cool seeing them curled up on the couch with a dog. Now I don't know if I would have one for a pet, don't think I could afford too feed one, LOL.

14. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry too much about them, if they are even around your area. I work in the mountains between the San Diego and Imperial Counties and am on foot quite a bit walking the trails out there at work and run into them every so often. It's kind of scary when you're looking around on the ground looking for human "sign" and you look up and see a big brown flash jump across the trail in the light of your flashlight ahead of you. It will definitely get your heart pumping. Anyway, back to the point, there are a lot of us and a lot of aliens walking around out in those mountains and there is at least one family of lions that hangs around our area and for the most part they are more afraid of us than we are of them.

15. Desert Rat

Precious little cows......it's what's for dinner.................mmmmmmm :D

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

They've tried to wipe out coyotes out here because of all the cattle. In fact, it's no big deal and no one cares. I don't mess with the ones we have left though. They might not be good for a whole lot, but I'm pretty sick of having to dodge Little Bunny FoFo on a nightly basis and I'm tired of running over the furry little ****s at 120 mph and having crusted up bunny guts all over my car. So if my attitude towards coyotes helps get a few more in the population, maybe they can put a dent in the bunny population and I can quit running them over.

17. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are a couple of mountain lions around here too. The odd thing is that they had to have crossed the plains to get here. I am a good 4 - 5 hours away from mountains.

Just recently, a guy hit one not too far from my place. Kinda odd to be driving along and see a big mountain lion sitting in the ditch like a splattered deer...

Occasionally they wander into town, and take a pet or two, but for the most part, people don't even know they are around here.

18. Desert Rat

You know, a Mini-14 in the trunk................ :whistle:

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine calls those "bad bunny decisions."

20. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

While I was on vacation in L.A. last year 2 Mountain lion attacks ! fatal, by the same Mountain Lion. Authorities killed the animal. I stayed away from the area. If the things hungry, it looks at you as food.