Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lets talk about my steering problems.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Apr 1, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i started my truck up for the first time today and went to take it out and it scared the piss outta me. now, i only drove this truck 3 times before it went under the knife, but it didn't do this then. during my build up i put a different axle under the front, but i don't think that's the problem. the steering is crazy loose. i couldn't keep the d@mn thing going straight (which was really scary with oncoming traffic on a narrow road in the rain w/ no wipers or seat belts :eek1:).

*disclaimer - please forgive my overly-technical jargon*
    anyway, i notice that i can shake my steering shaft back and forth inside the dealy which goes thru the firewall where the steering shaft should go into the steering column (LOTS of movement). it can be moved a great deal. when i noticed this, i took a look at my buddy's truck and he has a part which i don't. the following picture is of his truck and what is circled is the piece i'm missing. is this what is causing me to be out of control? if that's the case, is it something i could easily pull off of a truck at the wrecking yard?

P1000443.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I would look at the piece below it. The rag joint may be wasted. What year truck is that, so I know what model to go take a look at.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

When you put the new axle in have you set the toe and ensured the draglink is set properly? I the toe is off it can cause the truck to wander. The thing you have circled is a bearing that keeps the shaft centered in the column. I would have someone turn the wheel with the engine running and check the DL ends and TR ends to determine if any of them are warn causing the sloppyness. Also check the tightness of your box bolts as they can loosen over time.

Ira

4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I would start with the things you changed first, tie rods, drag link ends.... Jack your truck up and with someone spinning the tire scribe a straight line all the way around the tire, do this to both sides and measure the differance (front to back side of tires)with the truck on the ground. What you want is 1/8'' toe in for 33-35'' and smaller tires and 1/4'' for larger tires.

5. colbystephens

hmmm. good info.

i've got an 83, but have 78 running gear.

6. colbystephens

anyone got any thoughts about the effects of the fact that i can shake my steering shaft?

hehe, i just said shake my shaft.