Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk about water heaters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Dec 25, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep, Christmas morning, the water heater finally popped. :doah:

Not catastrophic, as I knew it was coming -- when I bought the house three years ago they said it needed a new one -- and we're off to my parents for a few days, so we'll still get showers :deal:

But, the question is, what do I put in when I get back? Could just run down to Sears and get a new one, looks like I can fit one a bit bigger than the old one.

I hear about these European-style tankless things. How the heck does that work? Any reason to look at them, or not?

-- A

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going with the tankless when ours goes out. I like the idea of "endless" hot water and not having a huge tank in my attick just wating to need replacing.

3. dremu

Oh my gog ... in the ATTIC? Mine's in the garage, easy drainage =))

So how does this tankless thing work, are they electric, or gas? Cost more up front?

-- A

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I can help you. It would help to know what you have, gas or electric.
    How many gallons, how many bathrooms etc.
    Are you at sea level or up in the mountains?
    Need more of the basics.
    Dave

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I here a commercial about them all they time, and from what they say you can get a tax rebate on them since they are so efficient. Hard to pass up a deal like that.

6. dremu

Duh. Sea level -- San Franciscoish. One bathroom, small house. It's gas now, looks like a 40, maybe 50 gallon, judging from the size (~18" dia x ~56" hi.) It's wrapped in an insulating blanket, and is wet and rusty, and dammit, it's Christmas day, so I'm not opening it up more ;)

-- A

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have not hurd of the tankless ones, could be an inline heater that heats it as it gose though, on demand. might be better :dunno:

if it is electric then you rockin get you new one what ever size sweat the lines in and you rockin :saweet:

if it gas then you will need some one to hook it up, the gas that is.

could go for a new high eficancy one that has a blower on it so you only need a 1 1/2" abs pipe to route it.

what ever you do DO NOT rent!

they will cost you a bundle and in the end they want you to buy it out for close to the cost of new!!!! the only good thing is they pay if anything goes wrong

and you cant just pull it and give it back it is yours so you might as well buy a good one now, and get a service plan if your worryed

8. Storm Trooper

Sorry, I didn't know where concord is. I thought it was a plane :D .
    Tank-less water heaters heat water instantainiously by sencing water flow.
    They usually need a higher fire power then a standard water heater but only hold a small amount of water content in them. They do restrict how much water flow you can have a one time (GPM). The bigger the unit, the more water flow they can handle.
    They don't work good up here in the mountains because our water is so cold and they need to be derated for the altitude. That's why I asked.
    They tend to cost 3-4 times more then a standard waterheater but can save you money in the long run.
    Remember, a standard water heater is one of the least efficent heaters out there.
    So, if you have gas, I take it you have forced air heat?
    If you had a boiler, I could tell you about a world of other ways.
    A standard water heater is your cheapest and easiest way to go but if you plan on keeping your place for a long time, dumping the money into a tankless heater might be the way to go.
    I'll check back later to see if you have any other questions as I need to get ready to go....

9. dremu

No worries. (ConcordE was the airplane, btw :) )

Darkshadow, I've got a gas line in there, so I'll just turn it off, R&R, and turn it back on ... no need to have anybody to do it. And I didn't even know it was possible to RENT a water heater! :eek1:

Dave, we're prolly only gonna be in this house for a coupla years, so a standard one is sounding reasonable. Forced air is a gas furnace, yes? No boiler, no.

Thanks all for the help all ... I'm glad we're gonna be gone for a coupla days, as going to Sears tomorrow, say, would SUCK :)

-- A

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I would check Home Depot/Lowes before Sears. If you are only going to be there for a few years, go cheap. When you sell the house, you won't benefit from a heater with a longer warranty, the new owner will. No sense in paying up front.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

first i want to thank you for not saying HOT water heater.:haha: i tought about the tankless ones but i like the fact that my gas water heater works if the power goes out.:bow: i don't want to hook up a generator just to take a shower.:D

12. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I don't know what Sears' prices are like, Lowe's or HD has a good 40 gallon (which should be more than plenty for your place) for about $270. Had to do mine last year. Don't forget to get new water lines and gas line for hook up. They usually get focked up taking them off. Plus it's just good measure for later.

13. Storm Trooper

Water heater prices have changed almost every week for the last year.
    Prices have gone WAY up so don't count on $270.
    On the other hand, if you can do it your self you'll save a butt load of cash.
    We charge between $600-$800 for Mat., Labor etc.
    BTW, please don't use the copper flex lines. If you have too,
    use the stainless steel or just sweat the copper yourself.
    If you have ANY questions, I'll be happy to help my brothers.
    Dave