Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk backspacing.. and 1-ton wheels..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Nov 16, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so first off, i realize i hear it all the time, and i may have looked it up once, but what exactly is backspacing, and what is it used for (i.e. necessary to have 5" backspacing over 4.5" backspacing)? this will probably lead to another quesion (just so you know ;) ) and with a 14bff, is a 16 inch rim a must? or can you clear the drums with a 15"? thanks.. oh, and another random one, does all 1/2 ton break lines/pressures work for 1 ton breaks (10 -14 bolts)?? thanks again..

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Pretty picture:

[​IMG]

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I run 15x10 with 4" of backspacing steelies on my 14bff with no grinding and a little bit on my 3/4ton front calapers. My 10b brake line matched up with my 14bff.

4. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

about 4" backspacing is the max you'd want to go on a fullsize with large tires without rubbing steering or frame components. I've got 2.75" BS on 15x8's, but hate the look. They look fine to everybody I talk to, but I want them inboard of the fenders, so should have ground my caliper. 15" wheels will clear 14ff drums, but not front calipers, those can be ground down, but the backing plate/guard piece will need some severe clearancing or to be removed

it's best to get your backspacing right in the center, ie, 4" on an 8" rim, the closer to the centerline the better it handles and less stress on the bearings.