Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk batteries for a moment.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jul 14, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Let\'s talk batteries for a moment.

I have a dual battery system and about $150 to spend. Was in Autozone lastnight and noticed the Duralast marine deep cycle and starting batteries. I know a lot of guys run the yellow top optimas on the trails, so whatcha think about the duralasts? Here's the specs:

180 Reserve minutes
    110 Amp hours
    800 Marine Cranking amps

210 Reserve minutes
    125 Amp hours
    825 Marine cranking amps.

And if not the duralasts, then does anyone have any other suggestions? Experience with deep cycle batteries in a truck? Anything?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s talk batteries for a moment.

I have a optima red top but I want to go dual and I was thinking of a deep cycle too, BUT I wont buy electrical parts from autozone agin(just bearings TIMKEN) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v always used Delco batterys deep cycle and starting in my Trucks Boats and Rvz IMHO they are the best for the money.
    Ask A-zone who makes their batterys. If they say Exide. Run Away!
    I have never understood the Optima battery thing. Why pay way over 100 bucks for a battery? When a Delco will do the same thing and last longer for half the price.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

optimas... dont leak,, have better cases and can be mounted in any configuration... I hate battery acid on my sheetmetal
    the deal was costco... 88 smackers for the regular.. just over 100 for the deep cycle
    I even have one upside down in my tractor

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I don't understand ppl using deep cycle batteries for starting batteries. Starting batteries are designed for high discharge currents over short durations, i.e. when starting. The conductors inside the battery are designed with high currents in mind. Deep cycle batteries are designed for small current discharging/charging over long periods, i.e. trolling motor use, 'house' batteries in a RV, etc. Their conductors aren't as big so that there id more room for bigger plates so as to max out the reserve capacity in a given group size.
    Using a deep cycle to start is damaging to it. I can see using one to self jump-start in an emergency, but not as regular practice. Using a starting battery in a deep cycle application is damaging to it too. I kinda figger maybe the guys who design batteries know what they're doing & buy the battery designed for the application.

Except when flat broke, I always buy the largest battery that will fit in the location/battery tray.
    I look at it like this: Say you need 350 HP and your two engine options are a 283 or a 454. Which do you think will last longer putting out 350 HP ?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since this is a dual battery setup, you are going to be running one deep cycle battery only, correct?

IIRC one of the Optima batteries fits the "deep cycle" category, yet can supposedly be run in a normal vehicle application. But typically deep cycle batteries are not made to be constantly charged such as we normally use. Good for a winch only battery, or on a boat, emergency vehicle, etc., any time that charging is not constant.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah I was planning on running both deep cycles. These particular batteries say "Deep Cycle + Starting" on the side. I don't have the bling bling isolator system between my 2 batts yet so I want to run both of them as the same.

Oh yeah, and $150 cap excludes the optima. I've had one in the past, and whooptee doo, it didn't make me any happier than a die hard.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have had great luck with Durlast Batteries. I have them in everything. I don't think you could go wrong with them.

I think Optimas are overrated big time. Most peopl I know that have had them are lucky to get 2 years out of them. Depending on the Dulats you buy you can get a 8 year toitaly warrant with the first three being replacment. I think the warranty on the Optima is 2 years totaly and I think only the first year is replacement.

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have the bling bling isolator system between my 2 batts yet

[/ QUOTE ]

Isolators can be had for as little as $24 + shipping, $40 if you want a switch so you can use the aux battery to start the vehicle if the main battery goes dead.

And deep cycle batteries are made to be discharged almost completly and recharged, hence the name "deep cycle". They can be discharged to around 20% and still be recharged with no damage. A standard battery discharged to 20% is toast. When shopping for a battery first thing I look at is the warranty. I like a store that backs up the warranty no questions asked. Recently the battery in our tractor bit the dust after 14 months, it had a 16 month free replacement. Took it back (it was a douglas battery) and the store handed me a new one. The fact that it was in a tractor should make no difference. One battery I will not recommend is the champion 4x4 line sold at sams club. We put the 1000cca flavor of these in our company fleet and 4 of the 5 were shot within a year.

10. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

There is an interstate wharehouse by me that sells "blems"
    (Batteries that have a scratch on them or the label is on wrong) for $25.00 these are brand new with 30 day warrenties on them. you may want to see if there is one by you or take a ride out by me, only about an hour to the place from your house. I have been running mine for three years now and i brought some to Mudzer a few years back, I think he was happy.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Optima's warrantee is 5 yrs. If you shop around they arn't much more than any other name brand batt. I originally bought my red top because I needed something that could take a beating. (I like driving 1/2 done projects) For about a year my batt tray was a milk crate that was zip-tied in place. (No, it never went on the trail like that) Anyway, the the Durlast Gold was a good batt untill I got a winch. I used it for about 5 yrs before it started to act up. It was still working ok when I got rid of it in a car I sold. However after having & abusing an Optima, I am sold on them and now I have two, 1 "old style" Red top & 1 Yellow top for a reserve. BTW the Yellow top is a compromise, its a deep cycle that can be used as a starting bat. Like anything that is a compromise it is not going to be the best at either end of the scale. Just my $.02.

12. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

Some good info in the above posts. Just want to add a few coments. As an ex-service manager/ tech. for the worlds largest battery manufacture(no names will be mentioned) Run fast and far from anything with the GNB or Exide label. GNB who manufactures the Exide label, has filed for chapter 11. So the future is questionable. Most discount auto stores carry either battery, usually renamed with the house label. The quality of these batteries is the lowest in the industry. Even the Die hard label was at one time an Exide battery, until Sears sued Exide and won, because of Exide selling used and damaged batteries as new(anyone purchase one in the early 90-95 and had an early failure?) Anything Interstate, DEKA, JCI (Johnson Controls) or even the new Die Hard(manufactured now by JCI)is a quality battery. I am still not sold on the Optima style batteries. Yes I know of the advantages, but they also carry many disadvantages unknown to most, but that is another subject......

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am still not sold on the Optima style batteries. Yes I know of the advantages, but they also carry many disadvantages unknown to most, but that is another subject......

[/ QUOTE ]

No I disagree, that is indeed the subject we are discussing so give up the goods. I do not like not knowing something that could be important so spill the beans /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I only have a few words about the interstate batteries....

I LOVE THEM. Even though I blew it up.

I had a fully discharged interstate battery sitting on the shelf for 8 years.
    I put the trickle on it, and it charged, and held the charge. Analyzer said there was no sulfation or anything.

I however, did blow it up, because I tried to charge an el cheapo battery in parallel to it on one charger. Kaboom!

Funny thing is, the battery was still kicking!

[ QUOTE ]
    Some good info in the above posts. Just want to add a few coments. As an ex-service manager/ tech. for the worlds largest battery manufacture(no names will be mentioned) Run fast and far from anything with the GNB or Exide label. GNB who manufactures the Exide label, has filed for chapter 11. So the future is questionable. Most discount auto stores carry either battery, usually renamed with the house label. The quality of these batteries is the lowest in the industry. Even the Die hard label was at one time an Exide battery, until Sears sued Exide and won, because of Exide selling used and damaged batteries as new(anyone purchase one in the early 90-95 and had an early failure?) Anything Interstate, DEKA, JCI (Johnson Controls) or even the new Die Hard(manufactured now by JCI)is a quality battery. I am still not sold on the Optima style batteries. Yes I know of the advantages, but they also carry many disadvantages unknown to most, but that is another subject......

[/ QUOTE ]

15. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Insted of running 2 bateries just run 1 realy big one
    I run a 6 cell tractor batery it is basicly 2 or 3 reg bateries in one

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

unfortunatly some of us use a factory battery tray and a really big battery will not fit. Also should you leave your lights on all day even a really big battery will go dead. With an isolator and aux battery if the main battery goes dead you can still start your vehicle off the aux battery.

17. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I have been sold on Interstates for quite awhile. My dad used to have my sister's old car, a 75 Olds, that spent the entire year parked behind a machine shed and was only run about 4 times a year. I remember a few occasions when whatever car I was driving at the time wouldn't start. I would brush the snow off of the Olds and it would turn right over. This went on for several years, and the battery was probably in there for about eight years before he scrapped the car. Not a scientific test, but hard to argue with those results. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Optimas made by Interstate? On a related note-has anyone else had problems with Delcos having the posts come off? My dad got 2 years out of his before the posts pulled out, my cousin went through two in his 98 ZR2, the second one after only one year, and recently the one in my 98 K1500 had the same thing happen. In its defense, I got almost 5 years out of mine and it was still cranking hard until the end, but the others were all inside of 3 years. I am not running down Delco, really like their other parts; filters, plugs, etc, just seems like a strange coincidence. Anybody know who makes the Delcos?

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have always liked Exides. I have also heard the opposit from meny people about Die-Hard batteries (they were better when Exide made them now they are crap).

I have a Exide Oribital in my S-10. I love it. I have deep cycled it many times (leaving lights on /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, running the sterio all day and four 55W hella's and sterio when it gets dark...it started that time). I am thinking of buying 2 for my K5 after I put in my new Alt (dual output so no isolator is needed). I would like to find a better price on them but other than that I love them.

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    GNB who manufactures the Exide label, has filed for chapter 11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you by chance read the above post and are disputing it's claim?

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well here is what I am doing...

my dedicated starting battery is an Orbital (Exide) Gel Cell, with like 1000CA and 800CCA

My deepcycle is going to be and Orbital Gel Cell Deep Cycle...like 950CA and 770CCA both isolated my a Hellroaring isolator

I picked the Exide battery b/c I get a good deal on them since I work at NAPA and they are great batteries

Chris