Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk cats...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Dec 8, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Let\'s talk cats...

Say your homey "laketex" needs a new catalytic converter to get him through emmissions. As "laketex" has no real experience with cats, he has no idea what to get. See, the GM cats are in the $150 range, and the free flow aftermarket stuff is half that. What should I run to ensure good luck with my emissions?

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Let\'s talk cats...

i had a girlfriend once that had 3 cats, damn things tore up the furniture /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

oh, i guess i should read the post and not just the heading /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

My brother has a few cats...the mom cat is a whore...damn thing needs to get fixed! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I can't see the aftermarket ones being any less efficient at cleaning up the emissions. My Jimmy used to pass without cat's at all (sniffer only)

Rene

5. fourwheelerjeff

i have no experience with aftermarket except in a saturn, and it still passed with no problems at all, i would think that if the aftermarket ones wouldn't pass they couldn't sell them because of either federal quidelines or just people not buying them /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, I say go with aftermarkey hi-po. I have seen alot of guys run them on cars without problems. They are supposed to "clean" as much as the factory units yet flow more.....

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get yourself a cheap cat, put it in and smog it, then rip that bastard back out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]
    Get yourself a cheap cat, put it in and smog it, then rip that bastard back out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and then next year he has to do it again /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

why not leave it in, the hi-flows don't make that much difference as opposed to the hassle of changing it every year /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

werd....if it goes in, it's staying in.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Aftermarket (even Hi-Flow ones) clean just as good as a factory cat.

As for flow I saw a test done in Hot Rod a few years back. They tested a few aftermarket cats as well as some factory. The winner...a stock Tahoe cat!

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

inspections want to see a cat in original location in the exhaust system, and then there are other rules regarding replacement, only under certain circumstances are you technically supposed to be ablwe to replace a cat, certain mileage or if a statement is provided from a shop that says the original was faulty, etc.

you would have to talk to testing facility to find out details, we dotn ahve any testing around here, havent for anything under 1 ton since 84 or 85, i think they only test light duty vehicles anymore in IL only around chicago and/or st louis

you can buy aftermarket high flow cats for good deals nowadays

good luck

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think you can go wrong with an aftermarket cat. As bad as the EPA regulates those things, I would hope all batches have to be tested, or at least random tests to ensure they are meeting whatever standard they need to.

I have heard a few "problems" from people that install them, but I think it has more to do with engine tune and how the exhaust is hung. Rotten egg smell under some cirumstances (very strong, not just a whif) and having the innards break on them in 2 years or so.

Probably fairly isolated incidents, and if you have to replace one anyways, why not go with the cheapest. If it breaks in a few years, spend the $$ on a factory one I guess.

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I don't have a cat but I sure like my wife's. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Here kitty kitty kitty!!!

Put in an aftermarket and take off your muffler and sell it on ebay to recoup the cost.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They don't do visual inspections here anyway. This guy, "laketex" should just get a cheesy cheap cat at Autozone with a lifetime warranty from his buddy "84_Chevy_K10" that happens to work there.

15. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how bad is your truck on NoX?? if its pretty good without the cat, just cut the shield off the old cat, run a straight pipe and weld the cover back on...but i didnt tell you that..

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

mine just passed /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif 350 tbfi with straight pipes, in canada they hold you to the year of manufature standred for the truck.. not sure of standereds in the u.s. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif run the highest octain you can, i only run 94. it run so much cleaner

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have one of them cheapo hi-flow cats, works fine for me... including passing somg checks. AFA a cat having a "lifetime" warantee, whoever is offering the warantee is either a) banking on the fact that people wont take them up on it or b) just dumb because they dont know that ALL cats will "die of old age" eventually due to the finite supply of chemicals in a cat. Im not sure theres a cat on the market that will work after 15 years... gas will pass through it, sure, but that doesnt mean its workin.

j

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    how bad is your truck on NoX?? if its pretty good without the cat, just cut the shield off the old cat, run a straight pipe and weld the cover back on...but i didnt tell you that..

[/ QUOTE ]

EGR is what is generally used to control NOx IIRC. Nothing as new as an '87 is going to pass emissions without a cat. But once you get tested, you've got two years. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And yes, they do give you a lifetime warranty on them. Nobody ever brings them back anyway.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    And yes, they do give you a lifetime warranty on them. Nobody ever brings them back anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

might have to get one of em someday then... i dont plan on ever selling my k5... i could really make them f00s pay. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

might have to get one of em someday then... i dont plan on ever selling my k5... i could really make them f00s pay. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me working there is just another way for me to find all the loopholes to make them pay.