Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets talk chainsaws: Husqvarna vs. Stihl

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlazerGuy, Apr 16, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Which do y'all like better. I currently have a 14" Craftsman electric but I'm working for a guy who wants me to clear part of his property, and there really isn't a good way to run a few hundred feet of extension cord /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, I'm shopping for a saw. Obviously I want to get a quality one that will last for a long time. I'm looking at 18-20" lengths and weight really isn't an issue. Lets hear it! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Stihl....I've had my 28" Stihl for close to 18 yrs now and I've never had to take it in to be fixed. Regular cleaning of it is all i've ever done and it still works like its brand new /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know that it is not one of the ones you are looking for but my dad has had a echo for about 10-15 years and no problem yet. We will not use it for a year or two then get it out and fire it right up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I worked for 3 years at an ACE Hardware that was a servicing dealer of Echo and Stihl. About a year before I started working there, they carried Husqvarna too.

In chainsaws, Stihl reigns over all, period.

We dropped the Husqvarna line because of 3 reasons:
    1) Their product was going to [darn]...if anybody out there has a Husqvarna that doesn't leak bar-oil like mad, count your blessings.
    2) Their customer service was junk...our 2 fulltime mechanics had a hard time getting the correct parts from them on time.
    3) Once the Husqvarna product made it to Home Depot, Farm and Fleet, etc...we could no longer be competetive.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking at 18-20" lengths and weight really isn't an issue. Lets hear it!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Stihl 029 Farm-boss. It's a pretty heavy unit, but it's the best seller amongst home owners. It comes with an 18" bar, but most dealers will upgrade to a 20" bar for the difference in cost between the bars (less than $10)...at least that's what we would do. Another unit to look at is the 025.

If you have any more questions about saws or their features, just ask.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I only really only work at home to trim trees or when friends say they have firewood available so I have an electric too. 16 inch remington with auto oiling. This I like , but gas would be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the Stihl, especially after Steve's comments. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was looking at those at first then I few people told me that the Husqvarna's were equal in quality. But all those lumberjacks on ESPN use Stihl so I figured they must be good... just trying to figure out which one I want. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Stihl is the Warn winch of chainsaws. The tried and true with killer customer support and a great product. You can't go wrong with them.

9. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I second the Stihl, after seeing the punishment and abuse it went through at the hands of me and my friend last weekend cutting down trees, I will use them forever /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmm......looks like a Husky owner should step in right about now:

I own a Husky 365 with a 20" bar that has taken down many a 24"+ tree in it's life. I bought that exact saw because a good majority of the guys who build log homes around these parts use that model. It's a little more saw than I need but I figured I'd buy something I could use forever.

You'll notice that none of Heavy4x4 points say anything about a Husky performing poorly versus a Stihl. Let's just say that I don't have any problems with leaks and that I've never had anything to do with their service dept. because the saw has never given me one stitch of trouble. And mentioning his shop's inability to compete is not a valid reason to slag Husquavarna.....

Another thing to consider is that "those lumberjacks" you see on ESPN are using Stihls because the show is probably sponsored by Stihl.....

Regardless of what you choose, make sure you buy a saw with at least 3 HP if you plan on doing bigger cuts. And to be honest, I don't think you'll find too much difference between Stihl and Husky products. Both are time-tested and have a loyal following.

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I own a Husky 365 with a 20" bar that has taken down many a 24"+ tree in it's life. I bought that exact saw because a good majority of the guys who build log homes around these parts use that model. It's a little more saw than I need but I figured I'd buy something I could use forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Husky saws WERE good. Since they've been produced for Home Depot and larger stores, their quality has gone downhill. I'll bet even a current Husky dealer would agree to that.

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll notice that none of Heavy4x4 points say anything about a Husky performing poorly versus a Stihl. Let's just say that I don't have any problems with leaks and that I've never had anything to do with their service dept. because the saw has never given me one stitch of trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was something I was about to add in to my post, but didn't. A chainsaw is a mechanical device, and let's face it...mechanical devices will fail at some point in their life. WHEN something on your Husky saw breaks...whether it's a plastic piece on the throttle control or the chain-tensioner pin or whatever else, you're going to be pulling your hair out trying to find the replacement part. Here's why. Remember I was talking about how the store I worked at couldn't compete on prices with the bigger stores? Well, neither can other dealers. And, fewer dealers = less availablilty of replacement parts. When you find a Home Depot with a full parts department for Husky including a knowledgeable mechanic to help find the right part, let me know and I'll PayPal you $20. They just don't exist.

[ QUOTE ]
    And mentioning his shop's inability to compete is not a valid reason to slag Husquavarna.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just simply stating the reasons why we dropped the Husky line.

[ QUOTE ]
    Another thing to consider is that "those lumberjacks" you see on ESPN are using Stihls because the show is probably sponsored by Stihl.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are.

Overall, both brands of saws will do what you want: cut wood. I just feel that Stihl is the saw that will do that longer with better reliablitly.

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I have a stihl 025 and love it. It will cut any tree around here with nary a problem. Its never had a problem, and it was very competitiveley priced.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My dad uses both a Husky and a Stihl, but he perfers the stihl because its bigger and better! The husky is backup if the stihl gets caught under a fallen tree...

14. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had a Stihl 034 for over 20 years. I been through lots of chains and had the electronic ignition replaced once, once my clutch grenaded, my fault for not putting it together right after a chain replacement. I love it and would not consider another make personally. I have owned several other makes over the years and have given them all away after they break beyond the worth of repairing them. I have not owned a Husqvarna though.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v used both. I like Sthil better than Husky. But the quality of both has gone downhill lately Sthil's are all plastic now.Just like the Huskys. Not near as powerful as the older units. But if I was in the market for a new saw I'd get a Sthil. I have a 30 year old .041 Sthil farmboss with a 30" bar. Its loud and mean. I usually cut 4 or 5 cords of wood a year. When I light that baby off the woods ring and trees tremble with fear.

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Husky saws WERE good. Since they've been produced for Home Depot and larger stores, their quality has gone downhill. I'll bet even a current Husky dealer would agree to that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Heres the deal. Stihl Kicks ass no questions asked and so does Husky. Huskys that are built in Sweeden that is. In 89' Husky merged with Poulan. Puolan started building the smaller saws for Husky here in the states and the quality pretty much went south. On the other hand Their big pro saws are still bad ass motherfawkers.
    Now where I live We have real Timber Fallers. They log the biggest trees on earth and They only use Husky and Stihl saws probably at a rate of 50-50%. As far as Im concerned You cant go wrong with either one. BTW I also used to be a certified mechanic on both Stihl and Husky.

17. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yep, Stihl all the way. My grandpa has a Stihl that he's had for about 20 years and he bought it used! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It still runs like a top. Last summer we were cutting down some trees and it quit working. He just pulled the plug out and cleaned it with some gas and a brush and it fired right back up.

18. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I own a Stihl 026 with the 20" bar and a Husky 268 with the 28" bar. I use the Husky almost exclusively. The Stihl never runs right, it's been to the shop numerous times to be looked at etc. Doesn't have the power that I need/want. And it's too small. The husky on the other hand fits me like a glove. I'm a fairly big guy so I can sling around the bigger/heavier saws with no problems. I love bein able to cut things at ground level without bending over....ALOT easier on the back and knees. It has never broken down bad enough to require a trip the repair shop. It's easier, I think, to change a chain on the Husky vs. the Stihl. The Stihl gets used to recue my dumbass if I pinch the Husqy's bar in a tree and can't get it out. Back up basically.

This is an argument just like the Ford vs. Chevy argument. Pointless thing to debate for the mostpart. Each one has good and bad points. In the end it comes down to what you prefer, what good points are more important to you.

19. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

When I was doing tree service in florida we used alot of echo, but we did mostly tree trimming not complete removal. I have always been a big echo fan, but their blowers, weed-eaters and saw's are heavier than husqvarna. I have a echo saw now and have beat the absolute crap out of it and it keeps on runnin. Just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    jesse

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is an argument just like the Ford vs. Chevy argument. Pointless thing to debate for the mostpart. Each one has good and bad points. In the end it comes down to what you prefer, what good points are more important to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to realize this... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif