Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets talk grille swaps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by or2play, May 3, 2004.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I have a 74. I've had this craving to put the 89-91 grille on it. I would like to keep my current fenders. Wondering if I could get away with changing only the radiator support. Those that have done swaps, what do you think? What kind of things did you discover when doing your grille swap. Thanks.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I've read it. He goes from a 78 front clip to a 82 front clip, then changes to a 91 grille. Looks like the front clip is the same from 81-91 with the exeception of the radiator support and grille.

Guess the question is whether or not the 89-91 radiator support will bolt to 74 fenders. Mabey not bolt in but be modified to fit.

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

You will have to change the hood, fenders, & core support.The radiator will also have to change.The 81-87 trucks fenders & hoods will work but you will need the core support from the 88-91 blazers or subs unless you modify it for the dual headlights & turn signals. I swapped out my 90 scottsdale suburban grill with the single lights to a gmc grill with dual headlights and had to change the core support.

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I looked at a complete front clip today at a yard. Its was off a 88 and must have been a truck cause it was the new body style. They quoted me "about 1900 for one." /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Ummm, no.