Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk HT's...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by The_Sandman_454, Aug 31, 2002.

1. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Let\'s talk HT\'s...

I expect to be taking (and passing by a good margin) my technician class exam in the next couple of weeks. I will be buying a dual band HT at such a time as I have passed or perhaps sooner...

So far the two units I have it narrowed down to are the Kenwood TH-G79 or Kenwood TH-G71a... Which of these sounds best to you and or what else would you recommend... Only real requirements are that it's an HT, and that it's dual band (2m/70cm) and of course usable for MURS, GMRS and so forth (basically that the mods can be performed on such a unit)... Although I realize for some of those other services the unit will not have type acceptance... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. DeGreaser

DeGreaser Registered Member

Re: Let\'s talk HT\'s...

I'm partial to Icom HTs but Kenwood is good too. If you search for "th79 mods" you'll find several sites that have modifications for various radios. Heres one:

http://www.johnmather.free-online.co.uk/th79-mod.4

Modern radios use surface mount devices extensively and you need very small tools to work on them. Diode removal is pretty straight forward but be careful as they aren't much larger than the head of a pin. Digikey and Mouser carry soldering equipment small enough to deal with surface mount devices. Forget RatShack.

BTW - I wouldn't use MARS unless you are a MARS affiliate /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

K7DKD

3. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Yep, I'd not touch the MARS freq's, although MURS (multiple use radio service) is a different service I believe, intended for anybodys' use... I forget if it's VHF or UHF... Basically whichever one GMRS isn't... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Plus I figured it'd be nice to be able to get a decent quality FRS radio with CTCSS and use HT to talk to it, although it's not technically legitimate use of the HT since it's not type accepted, I think it'd be a nice benefit to using it at crowded places like fairs, etc where everybody is on the FRS units... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I don't think I can get the people I care to communicate with on FRS to actually do the studying and take tech test, they're electronics stupid, not in a bad way, just have no clue about such things... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Thank you for the post by the way, I was beginning to think there's no amateur radio presence around at all... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I guess, any specific radio recommendation, minimum requirement is 2m/70cm and a bit modifyable... More is a bonus... "Hoping" to keep initial purchase of new unit under $300, not counting accessories... A little over would be ok as well... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Ultra durable is a plus too... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I can't imagine me being very easy on such equipment... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Up until a little bit ago I'd had it narrowed down to TH-G71a but now that I've been looking around a bit the waters have muddied as to what I really want... I guess I just have to go to a ham store and play with some various ones and see what I think fits me best... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. DeGreaser

DeGreaser Registered Member

If you are looking for durability, go with Motorola /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You can pound nails with them. The downside is that you need special software and other goodies to program them and they are expensive but they are type accepted for just about every service imaginable. Yaesu has some models that are housed in an aluminum case and are water resistant. The latest issue of QST has a review of the VX7R and a picture of it immersed in a bucket of water. The VX7R also works on 6m AM and 220MHz with reduced power. Then there's the Icom IC-T90A tribander. I'm not sure if any of these will work on GMRS. Even if they did, the power output would be reduced as they aren't optimized for those bands.

Is MURS equivalent to the FRS service? If so those radios are really inexpensive nowadays.

Have you gotten your ticket yet?