Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lets talk motors and horsepower

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, May 23, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ok....... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifheres the deal....i have a crate 350 goodwrench with 15-20 thousand on it at best. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifEverything is stock on the motor,exept for the edelbrock intake and the flowmaster exaust.I want to up the poneis over here /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif.I will need a new cam and new heads probobly. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifI have to do everything within the California smog limits. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifI dont want to touch the bottom end,but the top end is game.I dont know what to do.So many things to do i cant make up my mind.I was thinking of the tpi ryan b has ,in conjuntion with new heads and cam.Take into cosideration this will be a dd,or driven every weekend.I need some advice on some different formulas,i was thinking a blower might do the trick, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifi have my eye on one,but mabey this is a little extreme. GIVE UP THE FORMULA TO POWER............. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, a Merlin 540 with a 12-71 should do the trick, california emmissions would be another issue. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

You already know what I think Jake, we just got done talking about it for 2 hours on the phone. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Chunk a nice fuel injection system on top and forget about it, or swap in one of those 6.0 litres

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Howa bout a blower and N20 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you having trouble with the current engine ? With 5.13's and a 700r4 , a good reliable 350 shouldn't have any problems with 39 inch tires ( especially in low range ). If you have fundage a good reliable EFI conversion will be great with a dual pattern emissions legal grind from Comp Cams or Crane. Otherwise just go up a step or two with cam choices and good carb. You can have decent power and pass emissions, but low end torque is much better in a truck for climbing stuff than horsepower ( which is torque times rpm divided by 5252 ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Edelbrock has a line of performance heads, camshafts, intake manifolds, and headers that are 50 state legal. If you want to build a little more horsepower then you might consider a set of 64cc heads because they will increase your compression a little.

[ QUOTE ]
    GIVE UP THE FORMULA TO POWER.............

[/ QUOTE ]

COMPRESSION = HORSEPOWER

The most effective way of increasing horsepower is to increase compression, but with the low-grade gasoline available at the pump today, this is a limited option.

Years ago, I built a square port Chevrolet 454 for a buddy of mine ski boat with 12:1 compression. That thing would really turn heads when it was screaming down the Colorado River. Most people with ski boats only had 10:1 flat tops (unless they had a blower, which is a whole different story). My buddy wanted an engine that really stood out from the rest; so I told him to build an engine with a lot of compression because of the low quality of pump gas nobody builds high compression engines anymore (unless they are for drag racing). Because of the engines compression, we had to bring our own fuel. We would bring two 55 Gallon drums of racing fuel with us.

When he would be idling next to other boats, you could really hear the difference between his boat and other peoples boat with that 12:1 compression. Other boaters would always ask him why his boat sounded so much meaner than theirs?

Now let the flaming begin! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

Where's Tim when you need him?

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i hear ya on the smog crap anny way im pretty shure you can buy a centrifugal super charger that would fit under the hood be smog leagal and provide plenty of power for about the cost of replacing your heads cam etc.. plus the super charger is a bolt on and time is money soooooo /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Edelbrock has a line of performance heads, camshafts, intake manifolds, and headers that are 50 state legal. If you want to build a little more horsepower then you might consider a set of 64cc heads because they will increase your compression a little.

[ QUOTE ]
    GIVE UP THE FORMULA TO POWER.............

[/ QUOTE ]

COMPRESSION = HORSEPOWER

The most effective way of increasing horsepower is to increase compression, but with the low-grade gasoline available at the pump today, this is a limited option.

Years ago, I built a square port Chevrolet 454 for a buddy of mine ski boat with 12:1 compression. That thing would really turn heads when it was screaming down the Colorado River. Most people with ski boats only had 10:1 flat tops (unless they had a blower, which is a whole different story). My buddy wanted an engine that really stood out from the rest; so I told him to build an engine with a lot of compression because of the low quality of pump gas nobody builds high compression engines anymore (unless they are for drag racing). Because of the engines compression, we had to bring our own fuel. We would bring two 55 Gallon drums of racing fuel with us.

When he would be idling next to other boats, you could really hear the difference between his boat and other peoples boat with that 12:1 compression. Other boaters would always ask him why his boat sounded so much meaner than theirs?

Now let the flaming begin! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

Where's Tim when you need him?

[/ QUOTE ]

My old 350 had 8:1 compression on a good day. The new one has 9.5:1. Huge differnce in how it sounds and runs.
    Sorry little off topic.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That tpi sucks a$$, you don't want it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

well boy, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifmy only goal is to pass by you up comp hill.so keep on laughin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif,i will see you at the top.very soon. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Nope,no problems really,just want to up the poneis,the 350 is boring.I might just take another members advise on here,add some vortec heads,a mild cam,and one of those tpis like ryan b has........anyone have any suggestions???????????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. Ryan B.

[ QUOTE ]
    well boy, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifmy only goal is to pass by you up comp hill.so keep on laughin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif,i will see you at the top.very soon. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

ul need nos.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Ryan B.

since we both know we're gonna smoke that rjfclown... sounds like we're competition for one another... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Between racing you and blingmaster b for 12 packs... you guys will be keepin me drunk all weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I guess nobody knows what there doing then /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifa shame really /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifWHAT??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifHell yeah bro,let me "get it together first,then we will do this /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifI need to figure out what im going to do though,otherwise i wont be racing anyone /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you want small block bragging rights, then try this on for size...

[​IMG]

GM's legendary Fast Burn 383 cubic inch ZZ383 425 Horsepower Small Block.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Howa bout big block bragging rights...
    [​IMG]
    GM ZZ 572ci -620 HP/650 ft/lb Crate Engine /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

yeah i actually was going to get that one,but decided not to due to finacial reasons /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif mabey a supercharger,i dont know yet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ya man,nice to meet you,im right by you man.Im in sac /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif