Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk shackle angle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Nov 8, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

but first, I got my SuperDuty shock mounts today, the heavier cast ones. Talk about stout :eek1: I was a mite pissy about the $28 a pop plus tax, but once I picked them up and hefted them, I was okay with it :D

So I'm putting 56"'s into the back of my truck, and have swapped my ORD shackle flip left-for-right accordingly. I'm waiting on the UPS guy to bring me bushings, and I'm prolly gonna fab up my own version of the ORD Super Shackle once I decide how long they should be.

However, I'm curious as to whether I'm on target for angle. Looks like the spring eye will be just a bit behind the flip, but otherwise about straight down. Coupla pix attached.

Question is, is this good, being nearly straight up-n-down? How long a shackle should I go with? Looks like my driveshaft angle will be reduced, with the increase in wheelbase, and adding height in the form of a longer shackle looks like it would only reduce that angle ... plus of course add a little height.

I may wait until I get the front 52"s done and fine-tune the shackle length based on evening the front and back out, height-wise.

Any other observations on my results so far?

-- A

shackleangle1.jpg

shackleangle2.jpg

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i cant see your pics but if you have a relatively flat spring then i would sudgest that you go with a steeper angle on the shackle so you get more droop.

[​IMG]
    this is with 63" springs but i can get the shackle down to verticle if i drop one side....tons of flex.

View my 63" write up

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

By the looks of the pictures, I'd say that once you get the shackle in there, and the weight of the truck onto the suspension your angle will be nearly ideal.

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think that you should get it just like psychoticdeadguy's. Those springs will flatten out considerably when you put some weight on them. This will give you a little bit more angle than straight up and down. I would move your shackle forward about an inch and a half to get maximum droop.

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh yeah, get rid of the sky blue paint on your springs.

6. dremu

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and drop the trank again? :doah:

Point taken, though. We'll see how it works when I can load the springs... maybe I'll swap the flips back after all that. Grrr.

-- A

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

This is mine with flat 56" springs and home brew flip using the stock hanger (never left the frame)

[​IMG]

8. dremu

Yep, been following your write-up ... was hoping not to have to move the front hangers, with the 56"'s. I've got the long side forward right now and it looks like my rear axle could become one with the gas tank ... guess I'll hafta to switch to short side forward. I *really* don't want to have to take the front hangers off ... those rivets... :mad:

-- A