Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk shock mount fab outside the box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Let\'s talk shock mount fab outside the box

So I'm messing with the truck today (why not working on it, I don't know) and my rear shocks are loose yet again and I'm tired of the wrecked stock mounts. So I've been pondering something different in the ways of custom fab since I need to keep the mounts going the the same direction.

Here's what I've come up with. I have some 1.25" DOM laying around and I've thought about different ways of doing this. I'm into keeping it cheap and simple and think I've got the design.

The tube will go above the frame. At first, I did a test fit that would move both top mounts to the rear, but I have a fuel line in the way. I then did a test fit that would have both shocks angled towards the front. Next train of thought was how to mount the tube to the frame.

Here's what I have floating in my head right now. Where the tube will attach to the frame, I will notch the tube so I can get maximum area coverage between the tube and the flat plate that will be bolted to the frame.

Now, who want's to blow holes in this idea, or improve on it?

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s talk shock mount fab outside the box

Check out Willy's Stuff! I just bought his and can't wait for them to arrive!!! He's got good pics too if you're looking to modify slightly!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

If it were that simple, I would of. Due to the way I want to setup my truck, I can't have that setup. The mounts have to stay situated the way they are now being perpendicular to the frame.

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

Well if you are planning on mounting both shocks towards the front,you might end up with a little(or alot) more axle wrap.I don't know,I could be wrong but I thought that was why GM mounted the shocks the way they did.The other thing to consider would be the lack of shock travel you will end up with by placing the upper mounts 2" higher,you might need new shocks.Does'nt sound like a cost effective idea.Is your problem with loose shock mounts on the frame(broken) or loose shocks?Are you doing alot of jumping "Dukes of Hazard" style or?Mike

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well if you are planning on mounting both shocks towards the front,you might end up with a little(or alot) more axle wrap.I don't know,I could be wrong but I thought that was why GM mounted the shocks the way they did.The other thing to consider would be the lack of shock travel you will end up with by placing the upper mounts 2" higher,you might need new shocks.Does'nt sound like a cost effective idea.Is your problem with loose shock mounts on the frame(broken) or loose shocks?Are you doing alot of jumping "Dukes of Hazard" style or?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No jumping for awhile, but the stock mounts are shot. Actually, the length would not increase more than 1" at the most. The problem besides the popular known one about the stock mounts is that a person loses approximately 3" of travel because of the position of the stock mounts.