Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's talk torque converters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jun 10, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Background: With what, four weeks and change to go until BlazerFest, I was putting the finishing touches on my OBA ... and then the tranny took a dump. I am thinking the cooler in the radiator clogged up, but it's cooked GOOD ... smoke out of the center hump, and LOTS of smoke from the dipstick :mad: So I have another one to drop in (thank you Desert Rat!) ... and I'm wondering what to do about the torque converter.

I know that they're a big donut up front of the tranny, and they hold fluid, and that's about the extent of my knowledge. Oh, and they seem to come in various stall speeds. Whatever that is.

So ...

1. Do I need to replace the thing or do I reuse the one I have? Seeing as the fluid in mine is a bad brown colour and smells ... well, not unlike toast, if the toast was soaked in ATF :yikes: ... I am thinking I should replace the damn thing for good measure. It's also prolly a pain to replace later, so now's a good time, yes?

2. What do I replace it with? Can I just go to my god local parts place, get a stock replacement, and be done with it? I am going to go doubler (hopefully BEFORE BlazerFest, crossing fingers!) if that makes a difference for stall speed or whatever.

Finally, YES, I'm gonna put a real external cooler on it (was gonna anyway :doah: ) and a temperature gauge. I have both on my tow rig and was gonna do it on the trail rig ... guess I didn't do it soon enough.

-- A

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Replace it...always good idea to replace converter with new tranny.
    Replace with NEW one, as long as you use new, it's up to you which new one you want and how much you want to spend.
    Stock = $100
    B&M = $340

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

Low stall speed is good for trail rig. I'm not an expert by any means, but on the ricers, they use high stall for racing. Basicly the can rev the motor up to 2k RPM and when the light turns green they punch it and it connects. For wheeling, you want low stall so you can be at 1k rpm and crawl. Basicly, it controles how much RPM there has to be before it lets you accelerate (BASICLY!!! SO DON"T START BASHING ME)

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, the new-to-me tranny ain't new, but at least it's not smoking :whistle:

Stock I can justify ... the expense of the high-zoot is debatable.

So, stall speeds ... lower is better for trail rigs, thank you Google (the user, not the search engine :D ) ... can I get a stock replacement in varying speeds, and how low is too low?

-- A

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

possibly....if the tranny came in an RV from the factory, it might have a different stall, but generally, they're set in stone. Hell, they designed them to off-road stock, so stock stall should work just fine.

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Use the lowest stall speed you can find. Stock is a good place to start.

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You can have a converter flushed but,as cheap as they are you may as well get a new one.

When I had my tranny done I told my guy that I wanted the lowest stall I could get.My stall speed is a hair less than my idle and cost was less than $100 :D

Low stall = less slippage = cooler tranny

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

stall speed is different for different applications. personally i perfer a slightly higher stall than stock. stock for our trucks is around 1400 stall. personally, i like to use a 1600 stall offroad. if you want a low stall, get one for a th400 with a diesel, they are the same as a th350, or if running a 700r4, get a diesel one, its around a 1200 stall.

remember stall speed is not exact, it depends on the hp of the motor its behind. stall speed is measured by the highest the motor will rev with the brakes locked and nothing slipping.