Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

let's talk towing capacity

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jul 29, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

let\'s talk towing capacity

Anyone know the towing capacities for the 6.5 Turbo Diesel GM's? I am interested in the 2500 & 3500 pickups and the 2500 Suburbans. Any input or links to capacities would be helpfull. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

Re: let\'s talk towing capacity

i think 10,000 lbs but i don't know the exact towing capacity. my brothers 98 6.5 2500 ext.cab short bed will tow my blazer no problem. i'm pretty sure it's the same for the sub.you could try the diesel page or gmc diesel.com for more info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Towing capacity has a lot to do with a bunch of stuff. On the driverside door should be the GVWR of combined truck and trailer.
    Things that effect what that weight will be, Suspension package, Gear ratio, Vehcile weight plus cargo verse GVWR and of course engine.

Load 1,000lb in bed of truck and that weight has to to come off the GVWR and the trailer.

When towing it is widely reguarded that the manufacturs weight rating is a little high. Most people say stay around 80% of the GVWR. This is especialy true if you will be towing in the mountains because you will loose power because the air will be thinner the higher you go.

On my 88 454 K5 I'm rated at 16,000 GVWR with the 3.73 gears I have. Sounds like a lot but figure the Burb alone is pushing 7k. Add four adults and you loose at least 600lb more. I have pulled 7,500 with it and feel that's probably about the most I would be comfortable with. a C20 is about 1200 lb less then my burb so you could get away with close to 9k.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I think turbo's do a lot better than their NA counter parts when it comes to high altitude.

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

haha pete my man! i just bought an '88 C3500 last week! (350 though, no TD /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) i'll check on my stickers and see what it says...

looks like we are all getting tow rig fever, i know ryan has his eyes open for a f*rd 7.3TD truck too.....