Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets Talk Welders...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Nov 10, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So last fall I bought a little lincoln (like 80amps or something...up to 1/8th") to learn on. Its served its purpose. I've welded up a rear bumper and a few other little projects and I think I've got a general feel of it. I'm just sittin here thinking about this coming spring and wondering about what my next welder should be? Well it can't be 220v because I don't want to have to get my rents garage rewired, and I like it portable. I was cruisin ebay and came across this: link What do you guys think of these? Can they weld thin like body without too much warpage because my little welder doesn't have enough settings to go low enough for body...(can you say mega WARP!!!) And they definately go high in penetration and have flux core/gas capability. Give me your oppions on this welder and suggestions on other brands/models that are fairly inexpensive. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hobart 140.

I have the 135 and it has done everything I've asked it to do, including weld 1" plate with multiple passes and flux core wire.

I thought I wanted the 175/180 which is 220, but I'm glad I got the 135 because I got a great deal on it, and the portability fo 110v can't be beat.

Someone borrowed it at a local 4x4 jamboree and welded their link mount back on the frame after they tore it off. They used a generator and did it right in the pits.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Cool, alright I'll keep the Hobart in mind. Anyone with oppions on the "Ready Welder" ?? I'm interested.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

It looks like it is a spool gun to me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    If it is you are still going to be limited by the output of your power supply /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    It may be good for alum. and stainless with an existing mild steel mig welder
    just a couple of quick thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have the Hobart 135 w/ the gas bottle. It works GREAT... I have used it to weld lots of little stuff, built my entire cage w/ it, and built my winch mount out of 3/8" plate. The 110V welders cost about a 1/4 of a good 220V welder and will do most of what the average back yard mechanic needs.
    If you do decide to go w/ a welder that is 220V then there is only 1 name in my book...ESAB!

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The gun says its good from 22 gauge to 3/4" steel if you read the specs.... Thats what I'm interested!! With that kind of versatility, it'd be AWESOME to have around.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Nobody knows about these things??? I'm also wondering about how long a batt might last.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think youd be better off getting a welder, instead of a spool gun. Dont get anyhitng with "Weld Pack" on it, its junk. A Lincoln SP 135, or 175. I must say, a 110 will work OK for the small stuff. I just used my buddies Lincoln and GEEZE. Id used it before, but it was a real PIECE OF CRAPOLA the otherday. Its 110, I cant wait to get me a real welder.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I went with a Lincoln on the recomendation of a fabricator.... Plus they are made in Cleveland, OH which isn't far from me. The model I got is a Pro Mig 135 and have been very happy with it.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have a clark weld 130 EN it works great with flux, then I bought a bottle and it works even better, I think it costs less then a hobart, but it only has 4 pre-set heat settings but infinate wire speed. It really works good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I totally agree I'm running the same welder and it hasn't let me down! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

13. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a "MILLERMATIC 251
    Welds material from 22 gauge to 1/2 in thick in a single pass. Perfect for metal fabrication, maintenance and repair, farms and ranches."

Little more money but worth it

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright, so that spool gun is just crappo then?