Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets throw some paint on this sucker.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1skibum, Jun 15, 2004.

1. 1skibum

1skibum Registered Member

So, I've never painted anything before, but I need to help out the truck. I'm looking to get this done cheap, quick and dirty, and nearly anything will look better than it does now.

But I don't even know where to start. I really don't want to make a project out of this, but the truck is covered in dents, rust and grime. How Horrible would it be if I just painted over it all?

Any advice on how to do it? What paint will work best? I'm so uninspired for this job that I'm thinking about doing it with a brush, just so I don't have to spend time masking.

What do you think?

Thanks

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

get some of that do-it-yoself rhino liner and a 3" roller and go to town. no masking, no worries. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. 1skibum

Nice.

Any other Ideas? I just want to sell the thing off quick and get it out of my hair. What's the fastest, cheapest way to undo the mis-matched, rusty panels?

The rig today:
    [​IMG]

Next weekend:
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    (looks pretty good from this distance, doesn't it?) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

go to a carwash and wash all the grime off, buy a bunch of spray paint, and spray away /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

id just leave it if you are looking to sell it. IMO 100 yard paint job isnt going to help its resale.

6. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

dollar-store primer n' call it good.it would look more appealing to me, as a buyer,than it would with patch-work paint.

7. 1skibum

[ QUOTE ]
    go to a carwash and wash all the grime off, buy a bunch of spray paint, and spray away /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But.... If I wash all the grime off, there'll be nothing left to put the paint on! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

I had a Ford f150 a few years ago, It was nasty Ford sky-blue. I had some rustoleum in light blue that I sprayed on a couple of rust spots under the floor cover (rubber. It dried a perfect match for the truck.
    \
    I went and bought two cases of rustoleum and sprayed the truck at the shop at work. When it dried I compounded it and waxed. It was a perfect match and when finished you could not see any difference.

Would not say that it will work any where else, but as Jeff Fo xworthy would say; "show your love. Say it with Krylon"

LOL

Seriously, if you're gonna spray primer, get the "self etching primer and kill the tendency to rust.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There's nothing like a flat black primer to help hide all the "sins"--and it gives it that hot rod look too!.Since the next owner might not care for whatever color you paint it--I'd just primer it,and let them paint it the color of their choosing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Macco or earl Shibe. Remove as much trim as you can and let them have at it. You will spend more to do a decent job in your yard then they charge.

If you rattle can it there is a good chance you will have to strip that paint before you could paint it right if you decided to in the future. A rally can job will take about $100 worth of rattle cans and still not look decent.

Honestly if you pull the trim and expect to have to touch up wheel wells and trailer hitiches and tail pipes there paint jobs are not a bad deal. Wrap the weather strip around the doors in masking tape and tape 1/2 inch inside the door all the way under the weather strip and it will look a lot better as long as you going the same color. If your changing colors then expect to "Jam" it out after you get it back to make it look right.