Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets try PTO winch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jul 20, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anyone out there still make a PTO winch? Or know of how to get their hands on one?

Do most 205 transfer cases accept a PTO?

I am trying to look into alternativea to an electric winch. I cant find anyone that would really recommend a hydraulic over a electric.

Or anyone even know of a hydraulic other than Milemarker?

Thanks,
    Ken H.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads got a "Ramsey" PTO winch on his truck. Probably the 8000lb unit. I beleive all 205's will take PTO, since they have the cover plate.

Look in the classifieds. Although there may not be millions of them out there, just like the SM465 and NP205, they don't break, so the supply should never deplete.

They are awesome (especially rowing through the 4 gears for varying line speed!) to use, but the only thing that sucks about them is if the truck dies, you have no winch. Unless of course you have a manual tranny, then you could winch yourself out with the battery, but I don't think the battery would last long enough with that kind of load on the starter : )

When I was a little kid and playing in my dads truck, I pushed int eh PTO knob, and he didn't notice. For about 100 miles we kept wondering what the occassional "snap!" noise was we kept hearing. Eventually we got a good "pop!" and nothing more. The cable was spooling up as tight as it could possibly go the whole time, and finally the solid winch driveshaft simply sheared itself in half.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

PTO winches are king-kong strong. Like the hydraulic winches, they only work when the engine is running. And you typically can't run headers with a PTO because the PTO shaft won't fit past the header tubes. But you can winch with a PTO winch all day. [​IMG]

Oh yeah, all NP 205's can take a PTO attachment. Add the cost of that and the shaft to the cost of the winch.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I'm pretty sure the big winch makers still have PTO winches avail new. Do a serch on the internet and you will be sure to find some. If you use "shortie" headers driveshaft clearance is not a concern. Some guys do not like PTO winches due to the engine running to winch problem. How far exactly do you electric guys get with one battery in a dead truck. And if you are stuck and dead in the middle of nowhere you have problems anyway. If the truck dies you just will have to resort to the trusty hilift.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

5. HarryH3

I've seen folks "stuck and dead" in the middle of a river crossing or with their rig laying on its side 100 feet from the trail. Electrics were able to drag them back to the trail so they could get going again. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

6. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Don't know about now, but I had a P/U with a PTO and got it so stuck in buckshot before that I could not engage it, the shifter wouldn't move, so I still had to be pulled out by a bigger rig. Used to chain the back bumper to a tree, and pull stumps pretty easy though...

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

I wasnt trying to bash electrics too much. I have owned a few, they were great for what they were. My PTO winch however can winch all day long and hardly warm up the gear oil, while the electric boys are baking cupcakes on the front bumper waiting for the winch to cool down and the battery to charge.

Luke
    84 K5

8. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I have a huge 10,000# pto winch that has been totally gone through and a dana spicer pto unit all for only $245. I was told it fits a 205 t case, but I cannot confirm this. I am into this unit almost $500

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

All right I don't know much about PTO stuff but you can't even drive the truck while your winching since all power goes to the winch, right? Or does it split the power somehow. Forgive my igornance [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

10. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

I have never owned a 205 with a PTO but I do own a 4spd with a PTO. I can drive all day with the PTO engaged (not recommended) I would imagine that you can engage the pto with the transfer in gear. So yes I believe you can winch while driving.

Luke
    84 K5

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I sent you an e-mail. Might be interested in the winch and take off.

Thanks
    Ken H.

12. HarryH3

The PTO unit has it's own shifter so you can engage it with the t-case in neutral or with the t-case in gear. So yes, you can send power to the wheels while the PTO unit is running. Early Jeeps came with front and/or rear PTO drives as options (they were intended for farm use) and could drive all sorts of attachments while diriving through the fields.