Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's try this a different way - Are 38" Swamper Radials too big??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, May 31, 2000.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Let\'s try this a different way - Are 38\" Swamper Radials too big??

Sorry to post this again [​IMG] but I'm sure there are a lot more interested and knowledgeable people on this subject than replied to the last post!!

Let's make this a poll.[​IMG] [​IMG] <font color=blue>Do you think that 38" Radial Swampers (or any brand of 38" radial) is too tall for a daily driver with a Dana 60/14bolt?</font color=blue> If it influences your reply, it will be required to tow a 6000lb travel trailer on weekends. Also, please give a reason for your response.

Thanks to everyone
    Brian

PS I just tryed this markup stuff and it's cool!!![​IMG]

PSS This message was not meant to imply that the other responses were no good. Sorry 85mouse if it seemed that way.[​IMG]

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s try this a different way - Are 38\" Swamper Radials too big??

38's look good. They can make a daily driver look like it is actually driven off road once in a while. I hope this was intelligent enough for you.

3. Brian 89KBlazer

One other thing. Anybody with bad experiences losing the bead on 16.5 inch rims?

Thanks
    Brian

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Here's my only point - DEPENDS on gear ratio. If you are running 3.08's you will kill your trans, not to mention be frustrated as hell pulling that trailer up a grade. With the proper gearing, heck no. Had 38's on my 72 with 4.56 gears and enjoyed the heck out of the view from up there......if you get my drift.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think alot really depends on what you consider a good dailly driver. What I mean is, can you put up with the driving characteristics of a Blazer with 8" of lift and 38" Swampers everyday? As an example, I don't think my 4" lifted, 35" mud tired Blazer handles too bad (even though I drive a Toyota Tacoma everyday), but any of my friends who have never driven an older lifted truck think it is very hard to handle. If done correctly, this setup can be okay, and obviously, don't expect it to ride and handle as good as a non-lifted truck running 31" all terrains on the street. The much higher center of gravity will require slower speeds around corners and the tires will not stick to the road as good and have more tread squirm (the large lugs tend to flex when turning making the steering feel a little more vague).
    Trail towing is another story. I'm not saying that this setup cannot safely tow a 6,000 lb trailer, but the handling difference between that much lift and a stock height truck will be exaggerated even more when towing a trailer, especially one that weighs as much as the Blazer itself. Another issue is the short wheelbase of a Blazer (longer wheelbases tend to be more stable when pulling trailers).

6. Brian 89KBlazer

To answer your question Frank, I was going to run 4.56's with 36 inch tires. If I go with 38's, I'll probably run 4.88's. The tranny will be my 700-R4 rebuilt with a B&M kit that's supposed to boost torque capacity to 450 ft-lbs.

Thanks for the replys. Anyone else have an opinion??[​IMG]

Thanks
    Brian

7. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Dude I said this on a differant board check and see what size's drop hitch's are made in you will need at least a 9-10 inch drop and I don't know if they make them that long because if you don't use the right size drop you'll mess up the bottem of you trailer when going from a flat road to a steep one and it will cost bucks to fix it.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Towing a trailer that heavy could be a challenge with tires that big. The tall sidewalls flex a LOT when the trailer pushes from side to side. Makes for some scary situations.

As to the question about problems with 16.5 inch wheels, I've run 35x12.50x16.5 BFG Mud-Terrains on American Racing aluminum wheels. At 18 PSI, two of them literally fell off the rims within 100 feet of each other on the first trail I ran with them. [​IMG] BFG says not to run the 16.5's at less than 26 PSI if you want them to stay seated on the bead. I'm going to go back to 15 or 16 inch wheels, still with 8-lugs, so my wheels will have a safety bead!

HarryH3 - '75 K5

9. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

will 4.10's be okay with 38.5's? the engine will be a caddy 500 with around 383 horses and 500 ft lbs of torque

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Zack

IMHO, I would say that 4.10's will do pretty good with the 500 caddy. Only thing to watch is the tranny. Unless you will be running a TH400 or 4l80E tranny, the taller gears would go a lon gway to easing the load on the tranny.

To HarryH3, excellent point. Just one question. Interco's site (maker of Swampers) lists the 36x12.5R16 as 36.2" tall and the 38x15.5R16.5 as only 37.1" tall. If there is that little difference between the two, do you think the sidewall flex be that much more noticeable when towing??

Thanks again
    Brian

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

4.10's will be marginal with 38's, but the torque of that monster Caddy engine should overcome it. [​IMG]

Brian, I've known people that had problems towing with just the BFG 35's. The trailer tended to push the tow rig all over the road. Lighter trailers aren't much of a problem but heavy ones sometimes have a mind of their own.

HarryH3 - '75 K5