Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Letter to the Editor, can anyone help me edit this up?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 4, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

To the editor:

Kids are facing another danger in their lives these days. Not that of sex, drugs, or rock and roll, but rather body modifications. No matter what you may think of body modifications(tattoos, piercings, etc.) it is becoming an problem all over. Kids are deciding since they cannot go to a shop and get a piercing done the clean safe hygenic way, they will do it themselves or have a friend do it. They think if they burn the tip of a needle and maybe rub some alcohol on the surface and it will be fine. Ask any professional piercer, this is not a safe situation. I met a teen today while I was hanging out in the tattoo shop I frequent, he wanted to get an eyebrow piercing. The shop in question does not deal with anyone under the age of 18, parental consent or not. This young person was quite a bit under the age of 18. However the shop does not just turn such children away. An artist, myself, and the adult who brought this teen in began a discussion about piercings and other body modifications. We explained dangers of self piercing and problems with being young and pierced. Some young people don't think about the fact that their body is changing, and this can affect modifications. Piercings such as eyebrows can be actually forced out of the skin due to growing muscles and skin. These leaves an ugly scar, chances for infection, and no more modification. The young person in question said he had previouslly pierced his own eyebrow and it became very infected. Its just an example of troubles. He also talked about his ear piercing. He had previouslly had a simple small piercing done by a mall piercer. After a while he put a larger guage earing in. As with wiring the lower the number the larger the piece is. 22 guage is the standard mall piercing, he used some lubrication, and since piercings naturally stretch he was able to put a 12 guage in. Really this is something that should be done by a proffessional but many people choose to "guage" their own ears. However then went on to tell us a horror story about how he had then decided to stretch his ear farther. He took a 4 guage ear piece and decided to stretch directly from a 12 to a 4 guage. This is a very large jump and not advisable by normal standards. In his case he lubricated the skin, and began to stretch. A pro will just take piece called a taper, which is just what it sounds like, a tapered piece of metal that will slowly stretch the skin out. In the case of the young man he simply lubed his ear and forced the 4 guage in. This is the wrong way to stretch. It ended up tearing out of his ear. He now has a noticable little bit of scar tissue and says you can feel scar tissue in the ear. Personally I have no piercings, however I do have tattoos. I am hearing stories about kids tattooing themselves and each other. This idea scares me, knowing what goes into the cleaning process of my own tattoos. There are such things as people with the facilities to do home tattoos but these kids are not some of them. They use simple sewing needles and indian ink and make their own tattoos. This is not a safe prospect and does not create good results. Sharing needles or using improperly cleansed tools can be dangerous, leading to infection and possibly transfering diseases. People think that tattoo parlors and piercing shops are hot beds for this thing, but I'd like you to check out the cleanliness of your local shop. The shop I deal with uses a medical autoclave to clean insturments, along with a list of other chemicals and tools to insure cleanliness and try to bring you the safest experience possible. Think what you like but boiling water doesn't kill everything, if it did don't you think they would just throw the scalples in a boiling pot in the hospital? My point in all of this is, I want parents to talk to there kids, not just about drugs, sex, and violence, but also about this topic. Please don't let your child be another contributor to a black eye on the body modification industry.

Alan Mandic, 18, Sellersville

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I'm editing it right now on MSWord, but seriously dude, you need to DOUBLE SPACE after the periods. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought I did. sorry. Thanks a lot though, I just have notepad on this machine. Folks can read what I have there, its sort of a rant I guess, but I feel it is a very important issue no one is acknowledging.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Here you go. I corrected your spelling, and took the liberty to fix up a couple of sentences for you.

To the editor:

Young adults are facing another danger in their lives these days. Not that of sex, drugs, or rock and roll, but rather body modifications. No matter what you may think of body modifications (tattoos, piercings, etc.) it is becoming a problem in all parts of the country. Kids are deciding since they cannot go to a shop and get a piercing done the clean, safe, hygienic way, they will do it themselves or have a friend do it. They think if they burn the tip of a needle and maybe rub some alcohol on the surface it will be fine. Ask any professional piercer, this is not a safe situation. I met a teen today while I was hanging out in the tattoo shop I frequent and he wanted to get an eyebrow piercing. The shop in question does not deal with anyone under the age of 18, parental consent or not. This young person was quite a bit under the age of 18. However, the shop does not just turn such children away. An artist, the adult who brought this teen in, and I began a discussion about piercings and other body modifications. We explained dangers of self piercing and problems with being young and pierced. Some young people don't think about the fact that their body is changing, and this can affect modifications. Piercings such as eyebrows can be actually forced out of the skin due to growing muscles and expanding skin. This leaves an ugly scar, chances for infection, and takes away the possibility of future modification. The young person in question said he had previously pierced his own eyebrow and it became very infected. This is just an example of his troubles. He also talked about his ear piercing. He had previously had a simple small piercing done by a mall piercer. After a while he put a larger gauge earring in. As with wiring, the lower the number the larger the piece is. Twenty-two gauge is the standard mall piercing. He used some lubrication, and since piercings naturally stretch he was able to put a 12 gauge in. Really this is something that should be done by a professional but many people choose to "gauge" their own ears. He then went on to tell us a horror story about how he had then decided to stretch his ear further. He took a 4 gauge earring and decided to stretch directly from a 12 to a 4 gauge. This is a very large jump and not advisable by normal standards. In his case he lubricated the skin, and began to stretch. A pro will just take an instrument known as a taper, which is just what it sounds like, a tapered piece of metal that will slowly stretch the skin out. In the case of the young man he simply lubed his ear and forced the 4 gauge in. This is the wrong way to stretch. It ended up tearing out of his ear. He now has a noticeable little bit of scar tissue and he says scar tissue can be felt in the ear. Personally I have no piercings, however I do have tattoos. I am hearing stories about kids tattooing themselves and eachother. This idea scares me, knowing what goes into the cleaning process of my own tattoos. There are people with the facilities to do home tattoos but these kids are not them. They use simple sewing needles and Indian ink and make their own tattoos. This is not a safe practice, and does not create good results. Sharing needles or using improperly cleaned tools can be dangerous, leading to infection and possibly transferring diseases. People think that tattoo parlors and piercing shops are hot beds for this thing, but I'd like you to check out the cleanliness of your local shop. The shop I deal with uses a medical autoclave to clean instruments, along with a list of other chemicals and tools to insure cleanliness and try to bring you the safest experience possible. Think what you will, but boiling water doesn't kill everything. If it did don't you think they would just throw the scalpels in a boiling pot in the hospital? My point in all of this is I want parents to talk to their kids, not just about drugs, sex, and violence, but also about this topic. Please don't let your child be another contributor to a black eye on the body modification industry.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

To whom are you sending this?

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

To the editor Corby... duh! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Local paper, thanks for the help man. I was never much in english class... or math.... was alright in science and history, like that matters now. I am also going to call and talk to the guidance counselor at either the freshmen school or one of the junior highs locally.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just reread your version, thanks a lot man.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

An edit on Clubba's edit:

To the editor:

Young adults are facing another danger in their lives these days; not that of sex, drugs, or rock and roll, but rather body modifications. No matter what you may think of body modifications like tattoos and piercings, it is becoming a problem in all parts of the country. Minors are deciding since they cannot go to a shop and get a piercing done the clean, safe, hygienic way, they will do it themselves or have a friend do it. They think if they burn the tip of a needle and maybe rub some alcohol on the surface it will be fine. Ask any professional piercer, this is not a safe situation. I met a teen today while I was hanging out in the tattoo shop I frequent and he wanted to get an eyebrow piercing. The shop in question does not deal with anyone under the age of 18, even if his or her parents consent. This young person was " quite a bit " -omit under the age of 18. However, the shop does not just turn such children away (this previous sentence contradicts the one 2 before it...I know what you mean by it, but you need to clarify or give reason to why the shop didn't turn the person away...money? doesn't want the child to pierce him/herself?, etc) . An artist, the adult who brought this teen in, and I began discussing piercings and other body modifications. We talked about the dangers of self piercing and problems with having piercings at a young age.. Some young people don't think about the fact that their body is changing, and these changes can have negative effects on certain piercings. Eyebrow piercings, among others, can be " actually " -omit forced out of the skin by growing muscles and expanding skin. This leaves an ugly scar, chances for infection, and takes away the possibility of future modification. The young person in question said he had previously pierced his own eyebrow and it became very infected. This is just an example of his troubles. He also talked about his ear piercing. He " had " - omit previously had a simple small piercing done by a mall piercer. After a while he put in a lower gauge earring. As with wiring, the lower the number the larger the piece is (this statement is out of the context of the letter and requires the reader to draw on outside knowledge...I would drop this sentence, and change the sentence before it to say, "...a lower gauge, larger studded earring" ) . Twenty-two gauge is the standard mall piercing. He used some lubrication, and since piercings naturally stretch , he was able to put in a 12 gauge stud. " Really " - omit This is something that should be done by a professional, but many people choose to "gauge" their own ears. This young man then went on to tell "us " - omit a horror story about how he "had " - omit then decided to stretch his ear further. He took a 4 gauge earring and decided to stretch directly from a 12 gauge to a 4 gauge. This is a very large jump and not advisable by normal standards. In his case he lubricated the skin ", " - omit and began to stretch. A pro will "just " - omit use an instrument known as a taper, which is just what it sounds like, a tapered piece of metal, to slowly stretch the skin out. In the case of the young man, he simply lubricated his ear and forced in the 4 gauge. This is the wrong way to stretch. It ended up tearing out of his ear. He now has "a " - omit noticeable "little bit of " - omit scar tissue and "he " - omit says he can feel scar tissue in his ear. Personally, I have no piercings, however I do have tattoos. I hear stories about kids tattooing themselves and eachother. This idea scares me, knowing what goes into the cleaning process of my own tattoos. There are safe methods and tools to do home tattoos, but these kids are not using either. The kids use simple sewing needles and Indian ink to make their own tattoos. This is not a safe practice ", " - omit and does not create good results. Sharing needles or using improperly cleaned tools can be dangerous and lead to infection and possibly the transfer of disease.People think that tattoo parlors and piercing shops are hot beds for disease transfer, but I'd like you to check out the cleanliness of your local shop (the last half of this sentence is bound to lead to fault...there are surely some "local" tattoo parlors that don't practice the cleanly methods that yours does...consider omitting) . The shop I deal with uses a medical autoclave to clean instruments ", " - omit along with a list of other chemicals and tools to insure cleanliness and try to bring you the safest experience possible. "Think what you will, but boiling water doesn't kill everything. If it did don't you think they would just throw the scalpels in a boiling pot in the hospital? " - consider omitting, or making it a more general statement that boiling water doesn't disinfect tools enough My point in all of this is I want parents to talk to their kids, not just about drugs, sex, and violence, but also about piercings, tattoos, and the health risks involved. Please don't let your child be another contributor to a black eye on the body modification industry.

Now THERE'S a quality, flowing letter...hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Didn't feel like going into too much detail. Too much time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Remember, there might just be a word limit at this paper, you might want to check on that.............

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I might but there are some pretty darn big letters in there.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To the editor Corby... duh!

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

That's one huge paragraph mate...

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Didn't feel like going into too much detail. Too much time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it took a while. It was either do that, or homework. I made the sacrifice.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know, I am gonna work on breaking it into paragraphs before I send it. I may not send it and just address guidance at school about it.