Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leveling Suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyan, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Kyan

Kyan Newbie

Where are the reference points in front and back for measuring height of Suburban? I got a 1990 2500 4wd with 2" lift. Last weekend, I installed air springs on back and am not sure from where to measure to make sure the truck is now sitting level.

Thanks,
    Kyan.

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I would measure the crease in the body line. It is level the entire lenght of the Burb so that is a good refrence point. Or you could also measure the bottom of the rockers. Behind the front tires and in fornt of the rear tires.

BTW you mentioned Air springs? What are those exactly?

3. Kyan

Kyan Newbie

Thanks for help.
    They are Firestone air helper springs (air bags) which go between frame and suspension.

Kyan.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Where did you getthem and how much? I'm thinking of getting some for my Burb so I can level my ride and to help when towing. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You mentioned that You just bought the Suburban. Did the last owner use it for towing or hauling heavy loads. Could be that You have some worn out springs. What kind of lift is on the rear? If You have rear lift blocks You may want to replace them with 2" rear lift springs.

6. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is what i had in my 79 burb 2.5" in front 4" rear springs all skyjacker. Truck also had a 60 up front with a bbc. That truck sat perfect maybe @1" high in rear but it drove great!my 2 cents anyway. i miss that truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Kyan

Kyan Newbie

Esteban86K5,
    I got them from Summit racing! They have them listed for ~$210 and spent half a day installing them! Summit part# is FIP-2100 and listed as "Kit Air Spring Rear Ride-Rite 73-91 Suburban 1/2-3/4 Ton, 2/4WD".

Corey 78K5,
    I got the Burb from fellow Racer and old friend of mine. I know the Burb for two years before I bought it. I am mechanically able and helped/worked many times on this truck. My friend used the Burb only for towing his race car so yes I am sure the springs are worn, but the problem is I don't know how to tell! I checked and it seems that they used spring helper for lift. I am new to this breed of cars. Burb is salvage title, so it has many hack jobs in there. I have spent last couple of months just guessing what is there.

Kyan.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My springs are wore out i know for a fact, and they don't arch anymore, they are basically straight and continuously riding on the overload leaves.
    New lift springs are definately in my future. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif