Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leveling truck left and right

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bp71k5, May 22, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so I know about the tricks to get the truck leveled front to back, but after installing a 4" spring lift, the rear drivers side seems to be sitting 1 inch lower than the rest of the truck. (and not when I'm in it) I can't see anything obvious that's bent.

The tires have different amounts of tread, but the low corner has the most amount of tread and a different tire brand. The axles are level, but somehow the springs are not.

TC 4" springs up front and TC 2" with ORD shakle flip in rear.
    Does anyone have any ideas what that might be about?

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Did you tighten the spring and shackle bolts with the weight of the truck on them, or when it was up in the air?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Amen on the loosening and tightening the bolts trick -- cheap and easy :)

I had this when I did my shackle flip, but I was re-using my old springs, which were ... well, suspect. I ended up just switching the packs left-to-right and all was well again.

I did NOT mark them left-to-right when I took them off, so I may have switched them, or may not have, during installation. :dunno:

-- A

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

swap the tires around, different brands may mean different sizes. even though the sidewall may say they're the same size, they may be different.

5. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the tips. I did tighten the ubolts when one side was off the ground, but the other side was down when tightened.

I measured again this morning and they are now within 1/4" which is much better. The wheel wells are about 1/4" off, but the top of the tailgate in the back looks to be 3/4" off. It's kinda weird. maybe I got a rear fender that's twapped.

I am noticing the axle isn't quite centered within the frame of the truck, so I may loosen the bolts again with the weight on the axle and try to pry it closer to center it all and tighten it back up. Maybe after a few days, it'll settle in to about level...

I reused some all my old shakle bolts even though a few were rusty. Anyone know where to get stock bolts that are the same, or do I just need to find good quality bolts from the hardware store?

6. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

twisted frame? I know ive got a bit of a tweak in my frame, and you can notice it after i put the lift on it, and when you look straight at the truck.