Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Levers are for sissys.........YOU NEED WRENCHES

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Aug 1, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

So after having a hard time find the levers and springs for the caddy calipers, I got to thinking. I ended up using a 14mm wrench to connect to the caliper e-brake bolt. Then welded on a piece that lets the cable connect to the wrench. The cable is held in place by a piece of steel that is drilled to 9/16" and welded to the axle tube. Know the cool part is that when you push down the e-brake pedal and it sets the e-brake, doing this it tightens up the spring on the cable. When the pedal is released the cable un-springs releasing the e-brake. I only hooked up the driver side caliper but it alone works better then my old 10b drums ever did.
    Still gotta finifh welding and purdying up the e-brake stuff but Im happy it worked :D
    [​IMG]

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Guys at stoplights will think you forgot to remove a wrench off the caliper bleeder screw. :rotfl:

The great thing is: if you can't find a 14MM or 9/16" wrench, you know where to get one if you do a little grinding. :wink1:

3. 85mudblazin

Not to mention if I use a craftsman ill have a lifetime warranty on my e-brake :haha:

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I just saw your post at AK5 about it. I think it's awsome.. and look forward to seeing how it holds up. Looking at it, I would think it would hold just fine.

Here is your alloted "ATTA-BOY" :bow:

It looks like it should stay out of harms way well enough too.. which was my first concern. But looking at it .. I doubt it would hang up on much .. although anything and everything is possible.

5. 85mudblazin

Ill prolly cut off the back of the wrench to make it cleaner. Then I have to rework where the cable connects to the wrench, it was late and I didnt want to make alot of noise so I just used little pieces I had laying around the garage.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I figured it was just a quicky fab.. and I knew you'd cut off the wrench.

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

As long as it works I guess

h yeah, I damn near choked on my food when I saw that :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

why cut it off... will be funny if someone ever tells you that you left a wrench hooked onto your truck :haha:

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly. If anyone asks, tell them you started your crafstman "theme" truck after one too many episodes of American Chopper. :D

10. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

:rotfl: :haha: :pimp: :saweet: :woot:

11. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Good idea, I just wish i could find the calipers though! I found a set about 250 miles from my house but the yard wont pull them :mad: , so im thinking of riding my motorcycle out there with my backpack on to pull them this weekend, would definately be cheap on gas that way! Ill hafta remember this one though, its brilliant :bow: .

12. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yeah, but didn't they use tools that hadn't been hardened yet when they did that tool bike, because they were worried that hardened tools would be too brittle and possibly break ? Hope that's not a problem

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

This isnt exaclty a high stregth application though, they should be fine. think of how much umph is on em when your taking a nut/bolt off