Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lexan windows

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by 55Willy, Jun 10, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm sure this needs to be moved but the people who are in here know this kinda stuff,LOL
    where would one go to get lexan and whats the general rule for thickness and what not?

I'v got an evil idea. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Find a local race car fabricator, they usually have quite a bit in stock or you can check out Jegs.com or summitracing.com. I have also heard that Home Depot or Lowes carries it but I think those people are confusing Lexan with plexiglass and they are NOT the same by any means. Also the thickness depends on the application and how big the piece will be and how many center supports it has if used as a windshield, etc. What do you have in mind? BTW, I dont know if your planning on Lexan for a window on a trail rig but if so, just understand that Lexan can be pricey and scratches VERY easily. I ran some on my sand rail and had to change it out about once a year or so because you couldnt hardly see through it and that was just stricly on the street and dragstrip.

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

are you saying it scratch real easy from hitting stuff or/and cleaning it? there is a company that makes a cleaner and polisher to help keep and remove scratches. the name of the stuff is Novus Plastic cleaner . ever try any?

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I know a guy that polished his lexan with a buffer and it made quite a difference. Thickness and stuff I don't know much about but if you find out let us know.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive used this stuff, not on lexan though. it works great. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

We run lexan windsheilds on our asphalt race trucks. One is 3/16 thick. It got hit by a 3/8 bolt while going about 120 mph. The windshield stopped the bolt, but it did chip it pretty good. On the new truck we put in a 1/4 lexan windshield. The 1/4 is tougher to curve around the cab, but is a lot stronger. We have one support in the middle, but it barely touches at high speeds, so on a street truck you may not need any center support. Also, when you install it, make sure you use bolts and not rivets. As far as scratches you should put on a tearoff when it's new. Or put on 4-5 and tear them of as they get muddy, just don't use the last one unless you have some new ones to put on right then. A sheet of 1/4 is usually under $100 and you can get the tearoffs here http://www.geplastics.com/

7. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

I tried using some polish's but none of them worked well at all. It doesnt matter anymore considering I only put my windshield on when the track Im running requires it. Thanks for the info on the cleaner though and yes, I meant it scratched from the cleaning not debris.

8. cybrfire

I have a glass installer coming today to look at the rear window for my rig. We are gona figure out the best way to get a peice of lexan in there and at the same time I will speak with him on the front glass. We'll see what he has to say.

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

At my place of employment....I use lexan for machine guarding...

I've been getting it from GE Polymers...in Cleveland..

It's easy to work with...
    I cut and bend lexan all the time...

The GE MR10 sheet comes gray tinted...or clear..
    and is scratch resistant..
    I just re-placed a tinted glass in my truck cap...

10. cybrfire

Well, after talking with the guy about lexan and him looking at the place it has to go this is what we came up with. Figuring for the rear window which is a square shape of 62x20" in the blazer actually smaller once you get the corners radiused and all it would weigh less than 10 lbs. using 3/16" thick. Which he thought would be plenty good. At a cost of 105 for the lexan itself 50 dollars for them to install and some supplies like gasketing materials and so on. So figuring heavy on the supplies probably 200 bucks gauranteed and ready to go. Can't beat that I don't think, so that is what I'm doing. The installing company??? Clearview. Who'd a thought.

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

$105 is a little high...
    I just bought some 1/4"x4'x8' sheet for $138.00..

Lexan's is easy to cut...
    I use a table saw..
    and it can be radiused fairly easy with a hand grinder..

But if you're going to have someone do the work..
    $200 isn't that bad..

12. cybrfire

That is my thinking. 200 installed and guraranteed. Can't wait to finally have this part finished.

13. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

There are different types of lexan. The cheaper stuff scratches real easy. The MR10 has a coating that is much better but it's more expensive I have used both and will only use the MR 10 going forward. Mud will still scratch it so ytou need to be concious. Two seasons on the MR10 windshiled and it's still good. We bought it from GE Polymeres.

14. cybrfire

everything went to hell in a hand basket on this project so its back to the drawing board again. Quote was given and then renigged so I backed away. I think I'll just do the whole works myself now. Got to find a supplier and go from there.