Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

License Plates

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TSGB, Sep 28, 2004.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Another 007 type question...

Is it legal to have a tinted cover for your rear license plate? I konw furd bolted one on my aunt's stock expedition, and that got me wondering...

Kinda funny story too. My friend got a ticket from a state patrol the other week for no illumination on his rear plate (read: burned out bulb). So he went to the local hardware store, and installed a 120 watt instead. Now he has no problem backing up, and you can barely see his plate at night! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I keep waiting for him to get rear-ended.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Depends on the State/City yadda yadda yadda.

Your best bet is to ask a friendly police officer if it's legal or not.
    I have them on my Burb (very light tint) and don't have any probs with the local law.
    When I lived in MI, and NE they were considered illegal and I got tickets for them.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Another 007 type question...

Is it legal to have a tinted cover for your rear license plate? I konw furd bolted one on my aunt's stock expedition, and that got me wondering...

Kinda funny story too. My friend got a ticket from a state patrol the other week for no illumination on his rear plate (read: burned out bulb). So he went to the local hardware store, and installed a 120 watt instead. Now he has no problem backing up, and you can barely see his plate at night! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I keep waiting for him to get rear-ended.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will have to check your state statutes concerning this. I will tell you right now that those covers are probably not legal though.

4. rydawg

rydawg Registered Member

Illegal to have anything but clear covering in Cali

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

And here is your state statute concerning this:

[ QUOTE ]
    RCW 46.16.240
    Attachment of plates to vehicles -- Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, That if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you may argue it, but it's officer discretion and the tinted covers I have seen obstruct the plate.

6. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

I was told by a police office here in Maryland that anything covering the license plate was illegal...including a clear cover... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I was told by a police office here in Maryland that anything covering the license plate was illegal...including a clear cover... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on the state. I'm sure some specifically state that any type of cover is illegal, and other's as long as the plate is visible. Here in OK, doesn't matter if the cover is clear or not, it's illegal. Of course, it's harder to tell if it's a clear cover as compared to a smoke colored cover. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You not supposed to have anything like that here but its more of descresion (sp) of the officer like Bubba said. If you dont raise hell, You'll never get pulled over for it.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't understand why one would want to cover their license plate anyway. What's the real point?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't understand why one would want to cover their license plate anyway. What's the real point?

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone gets fancy plates, like the personlized veteran plates I had out in CA. But then again, that state is so nice they gave me two so one is still in the original envelope, never saw a day on the road.

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Walititis (swollen wallet).

12. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

In Illinois its the only equipment related violation that an officer can write up as a moving violation. Seems kinda stupid to me, but hell, what do I know...

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the onlything im covering my license plates with is dents from tow straps, and tags. God damn little sticker cost 90 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

clear covers are illegal in CA. You can protect your registration sticker with a clear cover but not the license. (harder to take pictures?)

15. rydawg

rydawg Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    clear covers are illegal in CA. You can protect your registration sticker with a clear cover but not the license. (harder to take pictures?)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, they were illegal up until Jan/2004; new case law

16. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Thanks for the info, Bubba!

And believe me, Walititis is the last thing I have! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif