Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

License/Sorry/12b...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okey Dokey three things...

First off I got my license yesterday so it's official, I can drive myself now and driving my truck to school is great! Everyone else has hybrids, small honda cars and basically anything small and fugly. Needless to say the K10 stands out like crazy, especially w/ the 102" ss whip, lol.

Next on the agenda is an apology. I would like to formally apologise to EVERYONE on the board as the CK5 community is an incredible place to be and for some reason I was pissing off the very people that help me in so many ways each and every week so if you guys can put that behind us I would like to come back and be a part of the community.

Third is check out what I found...
    since I had some time on my hands I have been calling around to get some quotes from local shops to get some 4.56's put in my rear 10b to get me by (especially since I'm driving 20 miles round trip every day to school) and everyone wanted in the $700+ range for just the rear 10b, I just laughed and thanked them for their time, man crack is a terrible drug!
    But then I remembered this ad that I saw a while back and shot the guy an e-mail. He still has it and next payday I'm going to drive over and pick it up. It isn't one ton beef but it is stronger than what I have, has a locker and the correct gears so it's a start. Plus it's 6 lug and the spring perches are in the correct place since it came out of his '76 Blazer.
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/197695906.html

-Avery

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lots of guys will say 14 bolt up . But I like that axle . I say go over to remove the cover and check it out . Take a picture , post it up :thumb:

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

welcome back!

4. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

you had that truck and didn even have your licence....?

i think 500$ for a 12 bolt with a lock right is a rip off imo, id look for a 14sf if you want to stay 6 lug

5. Avery4jc

He sent me a picture of his blazer and it's pretty clean. He said that he had it in there for a short time while it mostly sat then he decided to go 14ff/d44 so he just needs it out of his way now.
    He seemed pretty honest though, he said the locker had about 3,000 miles on it and the gears/bearings/seals/etc. have about 400.
    I'll go check it out and see but he is supposed to send me some pictures tomorrow some time.

I think I'll go over after I see the pictures with $450 in cash and see what he says, what do you all think would $400 do it?

He has quite a bit into it but he can't expect to get that out of it in a private party sale. Maybe $400 in cash would do.

-Avery

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I say save your money for a stronger diff. The 12 bolt has a slightly larger ring gear, but a weaker pinion than a 10 bolt. Figure in the tiny pinion a 4.56 gear set gets you and it just ain't gonna live long with anything over 33's or 35's IMHO.

I grenaded a 12 bolt backing out of a parking lot with 33's. Blew chunks of shrapnel through the cover...

Rene

7. Avery4jc

Thanks! A break did me some good.

yeah I had it while I had my permit...

-Avery

8. Avery4jc

That's true but everyone seems to have different luck with axles. Take me for example, I have 10b's w/ 3.08's pushed hard to turn those 38.5's and although they have well over 200,000 miles on them they run just fine, no cracks, leaks or chips in the teeth.

I would love to get a 14sf w/ a decent set of gears but I can't find one to save my life. So I figured I'd just go this route, honestly I just drive on the street around town and on the highway to school. Then on occassion once I fix my tranny I'll head to Pismo to play in the sand.

-Avery

9. pauly383

The locker in this one isn't a Lockright . The No Slip is the sychro'ed one for the best street manner .

The price of gears , the price of installation kit , the locker price well exceeds the CK5 worth of the axle :wink1:

And I still like it if its got clean fluid in her . I wouldn't break it actually wheeling it for a while , Hell I still got the original joints in my front axles of both trucks . And I am running the same OLD USED shafts in my 12 bolt that I got from iceman44 3 years back :D:D

10. Avery4jc

Exactly, the price of the locker is right at $400 so include the gears, install kits, and install of everything and you have yourself an $800 12b.

Do you all think $400 would be an insult?

-Avery

11. pauly383

I am a buy low sell low kinda guy . If I had the cash I would buy Mrk5's axles instead , because Scott is cool .

This guy is local to you , shipping is free if you pick up , right ?

Call and offer 3 bills fist see if he bites . If not , wait awhile . Everyone wants 14bolt this and Dana that . Maybe it will sit on there awhile and not sell right away ( of course I don't know your local market so I am guessing ) .

12. Avery4jc

Yeah shipping wouldn't be anything, my buddy (well, physics teacher freshman year turned great friend) has an ol' single cab long bed ford pickup that he uses for a parts running truck and a dd if he doesn't want to take his sick bronco or he is in the middle of a project so I'm sure I could borrow that to go get the axle.

So $300 to start then go from there? The axles were posted on Craigslist coming on 3 weeks ago and who knows how long they were for sale before that. He sounded excited in all of his e-mails just to have some interest so I bet he might go for it.

The worst he could say is no, lol

-Avery

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The 12 bolt is ok (my brother had one) but I wouldnt pay more than $100 over what I would pay for a 10 bolt. And the most I would pay for a 10 bolt is $150......:wink1: I sold mine for less than that.
    -Harrison

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't be asking us on this site where to start on prices. Just take cash and go.
    You should start learning on your own rather than trying to depend on everyone on this site for answers to your seemingly simple questions. I can see where some of the stuff you may have pissed off others or drove them up the wall comes in. I'd just say get out and do what you can, yourself, and then if you think you got a screaming deal, let us know about it.
    Its not like I would go find a 14FF rear for sale at $20 and come back here to ask everyone if they think I should go buy it or deal the seller down to $10 or $5. Get out and do some wheeling and dealing yourself.
    How do you think car salesmen started out with their profession? Certainly not by asking other people what they think they should sell and buy at. They have their managers they report to and the manager in your case should be your father or mother. We on CK5 are NOT your managers.

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

welcome back , I'd say go with the 12 bolt for now it'll get you bye until you go with a 14boltff/dana60-and new rims and as long as you don't tear up the 12 bolt you should be able to sell it for near what you pay for it I'd offer $400 the guy has some money tied up in it if it were mine thats as low as i'd sell it for

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Welcome back, I'd say go for it, price is up to you! What do you think is a fair price? Id say that is a good price to get you going b/c your going to have to drop some serious coin to get ya 8 lug, and decent gears.

17. Avery4jc

That's what I was thinking, plus I could yank my 10b and put this 12b in my truck in a day so it wouldn't put me down without a vehicle to get to school and work.

I think I'll ask my old teacher today if I can borrow his pickup then head over and take $400 in cash. Then just see what happens. ;)

-Avery

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned yet with the 12bolt swap is the pinion yoke. Most 12 bolts have a smaller pinion yoke than a 10bolt. So you can either use a conversion joint... Or re-use the 10bolt yoke and buy a new seal. I cant remember the part number off the top of my head but there is one out there for this app...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  19. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I think for what you use your truck for, the 12b will be fine. As far as price goes, you keep spewing $400, so if that is a fair price to you, then offer him that. Set a range you want to stay in before you go over there, and stay within it. If you go out of your range, you'll just feel like you got ripped later on.

K30guy is right. You've just got to get out there and deal. Sometimes you get burned, sometimes you get a screaming deal, just use your judgement. Oh and welcome back!

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

And when you decide to go bigger (if you ever do) then you can resell or part out the 12 bolt and recoup some of that cash:D . Get out of the fryin pan and into the fire:D .

Ira