Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Life and the people who live it

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

... Kinda from another thread... I had a question pop into my head the other day, maybe it would be a good conversation starter :whistle: :deal:

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that humans are too concerned with living. We are constantly avoiding certain things (like walking in front of a bus) that could kill us. We also keep having great advances in medicine that can keep people alive for a hundred years almost. We try to talk people out of suicide, we force people to get medical treatment when they're sick or injured, we try to outlaw things like smoking and drugs because they are harmful to peoples health and can shorten their life. We put our old people in nursing homes where they lie in a bed all day drugged beyond belief. People are living so long now that many of them start losing their mind and regressing back to a 2 year old mentality, and still drug them up to keep them alive.

Not too long ago, a person who died at 65 was thought to be old and have lived a good long life. Now someone dies who is under 70 and we think they were still young. Perhaps our obsession with living as long as physically possible comes from a fear of death. Whether you believe in an afterlife or you belive that living just ceases, you agree that when you're dead and in the ground you're not going to give a flying fig that you are dead. In fact, if you believe in an afterlife it's preferable to not be living...

What do you think? Are we a bunch of sissies so afraid of the finality of death that we will stay alive even to the point where we are basically 95 year old zombies? Are we selfish to drug up and lock away our elderly parents and grandparents because we're too childish to let go, despite the fact that they're just uselessly wasting away?

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

On second thought... I probably just think too much :haha: :doah:

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think we're to infatuated with the length and amount of our accumulated experiences than the actual quality of them and the good we can do.

Also, paradoxically, on the surface, we like to think we value life more, but we absolutely do not care. Maybe the amassed unconcious guilt has driven our need for the facimile of our love of life...

Me?

Live well, die meaningfully, do something amusing with the corpses

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Unless you have been in a life or death situation (or two, like me) it's hard to answer that question. You can ponder it on a philosophical level, but that won't mean sh*t until you have a live or death situation. I have had two such occasions.

The first one was when I was in a U.S. Naval hospital in Guam. I had an appendix pop on me which caused a very nasty infection in my abdominal region. At one point they didn't know if I was going to live. Six months in the hospital, two feet less of intestines, and 50% of my hearing gone; I walked out of Balboa Naval Hospital.

The second time was up here in Idaho, Winter of '03. My buddy in San Diego called me up to inform me that another buddy of ours had died due to diabetes complications. Being bummed, I threw my off road gear in my tow rig ('99 Ford F 350 PS) and headed to the mountains. Up at about 7500 ft. I noticed I was in pretty deep snow. Got stuck on side of a fire road, that was not maintained or traveled during winter, and sat there for two days. Having taken a survival course I didn't want to break one of the biggest rules: Don't leave your airplane/vehicle. After the second day I was found by a local, on foot, exercising his pack goats!

MY POINT: I had a lot of time, twice, to think of basically what your philosophical question asks. And my answer, twice, was "Yes, life IS worth fighting for!!"

I step down off my soapbox :D !

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't really worry about dying. I've been in a few situations myself at the ripe age of 24 (most self-induced), but I'm not going to try and think about it. I just live for the moment for now. I'm sure it may change a little later, but for now, I'm just here doing what I do.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i totally agree with you.living longer is one thing. just breathing longer is another.

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not afraid of dying, it's how long your expected stay dead that bugs me.

8. boggerless

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

9. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

10. boggerless

thats the easyest way.:bow: :D

11. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would like to live a good long life so I can see my children grow.

I also disagree with living beyond your experation date if ya know what I mean.

12. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

< DNR lol... carl, go get the bus, ill show ya how this works... you drive...