Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Life changing decision

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 8, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Talked to my mom's friends, husband tonight about the blazer...gave his opinion on it. And what I should do with it...

I'll start from the beginning...

About 1-2 years ago I recieved the 84 project blazer from my dads friend for 500 bucks. My dad's plan was to make the blazer a trail rig and not care about the body...then keep the Jimmy as the DD andkeep it clean...
    Time went on and this site influenced me! I decided I wanted to make the blazer the ultimate trail rig I could...I toook it all apart and was planning on replacing it with the best parts I could find.
    Things changed... I decided I wanted to restore the blazer instead. So I kept taking it apart, but taking extra care since I was going to clean and restore it.
    Then plans changed again, I was still going to restore it, but I was planning on making it entirely rust free...make it the best looking, running, etc I could...and sell it for around 4-5,000 locally or on ebay. As with my young mind I thought that was a great idea...I could learn many things...then with the money I could buy more tools, and then build up the Jimmy...which would be a DD/semi-medium hardcore trailrig. So I went with this, planned exactly what I wanted to replace on the body, wrote a list... It added up to more than 1,500$ american...which I thought wasn't too bad. I don't know why...but in my head I imagined I could finish restoring this within 1-2 years...fairly quickly. Don't ask why...but I kept thinking that...planning what tools I was going to buy, and upgrades for the Jimmy.
    Now this guy comes over and talks to me about it...he is an engineer, and has worked on a fair amount of vehicle. He says this is going to take a lot of money, and time...probably 5+ for me with no job and school 75% of the year. Then he says the body isn't worth trying to fix. He says I am better off selling the drivetrain and whatever I can salvage from it, and take the rest to the junkyard.
    At first I was stunned...what happened to my big plan about getting around 5k out of it after I sold it? But now I am thinking...am I on drugs? What was I thinking? this is going to take more work than I wanted...considering I would be doing this resto mainly from the profit I'd get after selling it. when it should be about driving it around having fun in it after.

So my question is...honestly, am I over my head in this blazer project of mine? Should I really dump a bunch of money (like I was planning) this summer for thebody? Should I just put it back together and try to sell it as parts, if that doesn't work then sell the salvagable parts then?

In my head I wan't too just stop the blazer project and try to sell it..I was getting sad that I would have to spend all my money on the blazer to get it restored...and not on the jimmy...what I really wanted. Seeing everyone going wheeling, getting new stuff, doing spring swaps/axle swaps...and I can't do that until the blazer is done. Wil the profit I possibly make off the blazer in a few years be worth it?,but on the otherhand when I can start working, and saving now...and get the 1 ton axles, and stuff for the Jimmy SOON...and go to the junkyard soon to scout it out (I was planning on waiting a few months to a year to go...)

I guess i pretty much made up my mind...I'll try to sell it when I put it back together...but I want some opinions... the part RIGHT now that means the most to me is learning...I feel I am being VERY greedy about just wanting the money I could possibly get out of the blazer iif it sold when I restored it. I wanted to learn how the blazer works, and how the parts go together. The downside of stopping it now is I won't be rebuilding the axles, tranny, x-case, engine etc like I wanted (probably unrealistic rebuilding them all, considering I am novice still) But I could always gain that from getting a junkyard 350 SOON and rebuilding it for fun.

OPINIONS please..... and don't yell at me for being greedy or whatever. I just had to let all this out...this decision will change my life...pretty much.

The way I look at it right now is I can gain the knowledge I lose from not continueing (bodywork, welding, rebuilding drive and powertrain, electrical stuff, etc) in the future when I buy a old car/truck (like I was planning) and just learn on that. Although that won't be till I get out of university.
    But for now...I might look for a toyota/suzuki/s10 because of the small engine...(low mpg) and drive that if prices gain.

My mind is really scrambled now...I don't really know what to do...putting the blazre back together is a lot of work...and trying to sell it will be a lot of work too. I got to go now...i have a test tomorrow and my mind is racing I can hardly concetrate on one thing...

Hope this hole thing made sense...

P.S. serious answers only...please give my your opinion semi-kindly to kind...no jackass comments...
    REMEMBER im young!

Steve.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

as long as it is not taking up to much space you should just go at it a little bit at a time. Take your time and make it some thing you want to keep. With major rust repair and rebuilding every thing you are going to be very hard pressed to make money off the deal. Just don't give up and junk it all because you will regret it in the long run. I know this from first hand experience. I cut up a k-5 that was in ok shape because my parents told me it would take to long and cost to much money. Try to think long term what you could do in the future. At least you still have one K-5 that is running i don't even have that

3. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

If you have it all tore apart now, and havent put any money into since the $500, then I would just sell the parts and get you money back, and either loss a little money, or make a little money. I saw pictures of when you first started taking it apart. You will spend alot more money trying to fix it. If you really want to try and make some money and everything was in good working order in the drivetrain, I would find a rust free or minor rust k5 with a bad motor or trans, or both. That way you can pick it up for under a $1,000. Then you could make a profit, but thats alot of work as well. If you go that route, you need to save a couple hundred extra dollars for little things(Gaskets,bolts, etc)

Dan

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If I were to sell it I would try to get as much money out of it as I could...I know the tranny/x-case is worth a bit. So yeah, I wouldnt waste it.
    The another reason I kind of am leaning to get rid of it is space. We are going to be moving to town and I wont have 1.25 acres of storage. I will have a small double garage, and thats all.

With major rust repair...your probably (well you are) right, It will behard to make money off the deal.

If i were to sell it I would have all the money I get from working, to go into my pocket instead of the blazer. I haven't boughten new clothes for almost a year...besides my carharrt pants. I want some gym equipment (wweights and stuff) and other stuff.

So far i will probably sell it...I don't kow yet though.
    a double garage will fill up quick with lots of tools, a blazer, and a jimmy in it.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Honestly I have seen people go from no wheeling experience go to a fully built rig and go wheelin and still suck at it. You need experience first with wheeling and then work your way up from there.
    With that said I say you fix the major parts of the body that are the worst, put it all back together, find a good running 350, and then start your build up while wheeling it. Add some axles when you get the money and just work your way up from there. Then keep the other K5 for a DD.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Stave, don't give up so easily! if I gave up on my blazer everytime it got hard or got expensive, I would have walked away immediatly after I bought the k5 shell for 200.00 ! now I've got over 17 thousand in this poor thing and I'm starting over again w/ rebuilding the old 500 caddy and building a fullcage(that I'm almost done with) and I'm a poor married student with 4 kids and a crappy job and 17 months still left in school. If I can do it, you definatly can! just build slowly, thats what I do! :D

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's one of the main reasons i parted mine out. yeah, a 1 tonned, super flexy rig on 40s is great, but if you dont know how to drive it (biggest i've ever wheeled is a K20 on 4"(?) and 35s) what good does it do you?

i would sell it for what you can get out of it, and then invest that in the Jimmy. the Jimmy is the keeper for sure right?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I watched and helped a highschool buddy pour his money and soul into a resto/mod '65 Mustang. Did *everything* himself except for engine machining. His parts/material cost was $35k plus repainting at a shop - his DIY job wasn't good enough to bag $27k when he finally sold it.

His experience showed me the work isn't worth the time spent. He got free help, and I got enough experience at most of the different aspects of restoration to know what things I don't care to ever do again. The time and money you spend on your own vehicle is for YOU.

Sounds like you might benefit from working at a wrecking yard - seriously! Tearing wrecks apart is a lesson in reverse-engineering. You'll make some money this way rather than spending it ;)

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a project should NEVER be completed to make money, unless its a sure fire thing. i bought a '95 Grand Am SE 4 door for $100, put $300 in it, and sold it for $900 last week. around here any running car is worth at least $500, so i knew i wasnt gonna get hurt. i also bought a '96 Grand Am 2 door for $100, needs a crank kit. when i get that done, i'll have just over $500 in it, but its a way cleaner car than the 95 was, and a little sportier too. should be able to drag $2500 out of it easy.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's great, but the exception rather than the rule. The bleak reality is that the Blazer will eat more cash to fix it up than it will sell for...never mind the time and effort involved.

Rene

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that was kinda my point... buy em cheap, sell em cheap. dont buy cheap and expect to make big money. the crank kit is going to be no easy job, and these cars typically go for alot more than the $2500 im expecting.

12. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve , my thoughts on your dilema are...

Pick the one that requires the least amount of body work and use that tub , pick the best drive train and use it , keep the rest for parts

Don't try to make money off a rusted hulk restoration , if it was cheap and easy everyone would do it.

Just do the best body work you can , it does not have to be perfect by any means for a DD/trail rig that you will be crunched up a little while having fun :grin:
    The main thing is have fun and enjoy what you are doing ,build it to do what you want it to do (being realistic with your goals) and learn a lot of good stuff in the process

:hack: :grind: :weld: :1zhelp: etc.

From what I have seen in the past you are in a pretty good position to build a nice rig over a little time
    Just a few early morning thoughts....where's my coffee....

13. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

It seems that $ 6,000 is the max an older, rebuilt Blazer can get on ebay. We paid three, and have another three in it now. So from here on we know we won't recoup the money spent if we try to sell. But this is his first vehicle. Maybe he'll keep it a long time.

It's kind of like fishing: it just keeps eating up my spare funds. But it is the journey, not the destination.

14. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

"But it is the journey, not the destination" I agree... Restore it because you want to have something to day dream about at school. I would keep them both and just put in what cash you have when you can spare it. I got rid of a mint no rust California 86 K5 when I was 16 because I busted the rearend - I regret that all the time. If I only knew then what I know now I would have been back on the road in a couple days. I have found that everything I sell I regret and almost always need or wish I still had it. Over time you can turn them both into trail rigs one for towing & one for the trails. Buy a super 10 to save on gas and to run for parts... Find a friend with a backyard for storage if that is an issue - we all have friends with piles of rigs in there backyard or we are that guy....

15. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took a rusted out, bounced off a guardrail on both sides, bad T5ed, tired motor GMC Sonoma and turned it in a beautiful truck for about a grand and 3-4 weeks of my time when I was 17. Pretty much rebuilt everything except the motor. It was the first T5 I had apart. A lot of firsts.

Your problem is that you have been dogging it something fierce. I've never seen someone work so hard at not working. Honestly, start somewhere and finish it. Then move on to the next thing. Sitting there not being able to decide what to do doesn't get it done any faster. Honestly, a monkey and two giraffes can rebuild two axles in a weekend (I know, because my first time it took two days).

16. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Here are my thoughts. If you’re thinking of fixing it up to sell for some huge profit, I think you are dreaming. How many truly built trucks have you seen here and other boards that they struggle to sell for $6000? These are trucks with 1 ton axles, BIG tires, bead locks, cages, nice bumpers, non stock engines etc. All the nice parts in addition to the grinding discs, flap wheels, nut, bolts and welding supplies they (you) have invested. It’s not worth it unless you plan to keep it. I think most people that sell their trucks are looking for a quick sale cause they need the cash for house payment, medical bills or they just got tired of it. Certainly not to sell for a profit though

17. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I restored about 30 chevy trucks over the years...
    Not one of them...was really worth it.
    I spent more $$$ and time...to make a return on my investment.

If you want a RETURN on your investment...
    Find an OLD 63' Vette....those bring in big bucks..

But if you like k5's like I do....
    You forget about the cash and time you spend...building a fine ride. ;) :cool1:

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Pick one to keep and sell the other, that's my advice Stevo.

19. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

My experience is only restore what you love and are going to keep. Very seldom have I heard of people that made money on a restoration. I never have, and I have alsways found it cheaper to pick up someone else's restoration they are losing money on.

I say, sell the parted out blazer as parts on ebay, and get to work on the jimmy.

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No profit ....

I've learned to NEVER expect to make money on cars or trucks--period!--I have restored at least ten GM trucks in the past 20+ years--not one did I make more than a few hundred more than I paid,not to mention what I spent doing it,and all the blood,sweat,and tears!.. :screwy:

I didn't care though,I was building them for my own use and enjoyment--but the rust they had,even though it was repaired,killed ANY chances of ever getting top dollar from them at sale time..I have kept nearly all of the trucks I had and patched them together until they were junk,then scrapped them,because trucks here are not too hard to find cheap that are rusted or patched up--dime a dozen in a way...you'll make no money here selling a repaired rotbox... :frown1:

I will say this--its NOT an easy job to take a truck off the frame,and do an ametuer restoration--its hard work,lots of heavy lifting,and i takes a lot longer than most people realize to do it even half-ass,and I see many "projects" at swap meets and in the "want ad" books people had to abandon when they found out how difficult,expensive,and time consuming it is to do all the work..most working folks dont have enough time to do it...

.Its a commitment,you have to be able to devote hours of time,money and labor if you want the end result to be worthwhile--I've seen marriages get broken up over a vehicle getting restored!--("You love that truck more than you love ME!--etc!)--most people watch it on TV,and think it only takes a few days to do all the work--thats a fantasy!..

I'd look for a rust free truck,and use the drivetrain parts from your rusty one --maybe you will get lucky and find one with a bad motor or tranny,and you can just swap yours in---bodywork is hard,time consuming,and in the end--a minus instead of a plus--it kills resale value,and it will only rust worse later on no matter what you paint it with--once it starts its terminal in most cases..

My biggest mistake was buying too many trucks and hoarding all the parts,and keeping them too long outdoors in the weather,after I kept the trucks too long too...now its killing me trying to get rid of all the scrap and mess in my yard,I would have junked it all long ago if scrap prices weren't so low until recently...

Since you'll be moving,I'd say scrap the rusty body of the blazer,keep the parts for your Jimmy,or another truck down the road--the cash from scrapping the Blazer will help pay for more stuff on the Jimmy,or another truck later on...you definately dont want to have to lug a rusty body to your new home,that will be hard labor and costly to do... :crazy: