Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Life expectancy on a highangledriveline?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Aug 2, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Okay...
    I asked Jesse but... I want to hear what other customers have to say. I have a 14 bolt and an np208 and I'm planning on ordering a rearshaft from HAD. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    what is the life expectancy like? I run highway speeds at least 5 days a week (70+) and I wheel as often as possible. Will the driveshaft last over the warranted year. Opinions and such appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would hope so for as much as they cost!

My take, though I don't have one, would be that is better than a stock driveline, and stock drivelines last a long time, usually suffering a painful death off-road /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So I think you'll be fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Drive shafts need maintance. They need U-joints. If your have it properly installed then 100K no problem. What will make them fail is getting the U-Joints full of water and crud.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

mud and water are not my favorites... I change the ujoints once a year (an offroad racing technique that's pretty popular) anyway and my angles are not extreme. If it can last a few years that would be great. Looks like I'll be ordering this monday. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have one in the front, 1350 CV w/1410 at pinion. I believe it's a 35* unit and I had to clearance grind it some, too. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've thrashed it HARD for about 10 months and so far, so good. I say go for it. Plus, Jesse is a great guy to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Will

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Believe it or not but I have wraped my U-joints with duct tape when I go Mudding and this keeps them clean.

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

They only lasted a few hours in Jesse James Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But even so, I'll be ordering a couple for myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    They only lasted a few hours in Jesse James Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But even so, I'll be ordering a couple for myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because they put quality parts in a non-quality vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At least Ford found the problem and circled it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

If you give the cap on each u-joint a very small tack weld where the crown of the cap seats against the square ear on the yolk, it will keep it from wiggling out under pressure.

Keep the tack small so that you can chissle it off when you need to.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif