Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Life of stock distributor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GOK5, Feb 10, 2003.

1. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

I have an 88k5 and was wondering the mileage life of the stock HEI distributor. I'm replacing my 350 w/103,xxx miles on it and wondering if I should replace or reuse unit? thanks

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

103,000 miles isnt all that much. As long as the bushings aren't worn and it still works ok I'd still use it. It's a different design, but I'm still using the original, as far as I know, distributor in my 79. Judging by the wear on the cylinders when I rebuilt the engine I'm guessing it had atleast 300k, maybe 400k or 500k, miles on it.

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

My OE HEI had 130K on it and it was still going strong. It got replaced only because the new crate engine came with a new distributor (and I wanted to ditch the computer controlled one). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Thanks guys

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Check and make sure there isn't excessive wear in the shaft bushings. Try to move the rotor back and forth. If there is much play there at all, either replace the distributor, or get it re-bushed. When those wear out on the TBI engines it starts to screw with the output from the cam position sensor (which is integrated into the dist.), which will cause the ECU to do all kinds of weird stuff. GM had a TSB where it would cause the torque converter clutch to lock and unlock as you were going down the road.