Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifespan of a Red Optima? Update - found the problem, PermaCool relay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Apr 27, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Found my elec problem - turns out there WAS a draw on the battery. Reason I'm posting this here: it's the PermaCool relay to run the two electric fans (PermaCool, 14" fans, relay is the one that came with the temp sensor). Started the truck this afternoon, and 'crack' the relay explodes and starts smoking and burning off the insulation. I had installed this last spring when I went with electric fans, by the book, no ghetto rigging, fuses everywhere, and it was working pretty much as advertised, apparently until some time recently. Reason I think the relay was the culprit is that as soon as I disconnected the relay, the battery started to take charge from the alternator. Now, I hadn't touched any wire or connected something new/different in the last six months, so this thing pretty much went without warning (or maybe the discharged battery WAS the warning!) - I thought some of you might want to know.

Found my main battery dead yesterday. Truck had sat for a month on jackstands for the shackle flip, front lift, and rear spring pack rebuild/greasable bolts all around. Finally finish, and turn the key - nothing, not even the lights in the dash. Started the truck from the auxiliary battery (Wrangler NW system) just fine. Both batteries are red optimas, main is five years old, aux is four. My el cheapo voltmeter sez aux at 11 volts, main at 4 volts. I know the voltmeter always reads low, so I think the aux is fine, but the main is probably pretty much dead. Never had any indications of problems with it, truck's garaged all year, and didn't have any drain on the bat that I was aware of, didn't leave the lights on or had the radio on while working on the truck. So, a few questions: is my main bat just at the end of its life span, and any recommendations for a decent voltmeter? And, what's the opinion on batteries these days, are optimas still the ones to get, or is there better stuff out there? thanks, michael

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Re: Lifespan of a Red Optima?

7 years or somthen like that You should be able to charge it and if you cant take it back to where u bought it

3. jms

Thanks, taking back won't work, got them while I was living in San Diego /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

try recharging it with a slow trickle charger. they like that

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

if it turns out to be completely dead and none of the stores in your area will honor the warrany b/c you didn't buy it from them, then call the company, most company's will try to help you out. i had a set of monroe shocks on my K5 that blew a seal. i ended up calling monroe and they sent me a set completely free of charge. they sent both for the rear even though only one of them went bad.

6. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing, 2 day trickle charge while I finished my work was all it took...still going strong.

Chris

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Try a long slow charge(1-2amps) overnight let rest during the day(no charge), repeat till it will start the vehicle.

8. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

About a year and a half ago, I starting having trouble with one of my red tops. It wouldn't hold a change. At the time, the battery was over 5 years old. The place I bought it from had gone out of business. I went to Interstate's website www.interstatebatteries.com and looked up the local distributor . I took the dead battery there and, after testing it, they gave me a new one. I didn't even have to show them the receipt! I'll bet there is a distributor in Omaha. It might be something else to try.

9. jms

Thanks, I'll try the website, that's a good idea. I've never done the trickle charge with gel batteries, but my previous experience with regular plate/acid bats hasn't been too great - the charge usually bought a me few months time but then it was over really quick. Right now that would be fine, just driving about town, but I'm not sure I trust a battery like that on a long desert trip...

Anybody have an idea about where to get a good brans of a voltmeter?
    The NAPA guy showed me one - for the price of a new Optima, not quite what I had in mind.

10. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

mine went bad after only 1.5 yrs, took it to 4wp(thats where i bought it) and they replaced it no questions asked, they had a copy of the reciept on my name in the computer so i dint need to bring one in.

11. jms

Update at top, pertains to electric fans, so this may be of interest.

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

a good brand i have is a "fluke" voltmeter; actually it will test a lot more than volts, i also have an el cheapo that i throw in the box to go wheeling with /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

here are a few on ebay: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&query=fluke&from=R10&ht=1&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&category1=4676&Top10=&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&catref=C1 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif