Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifetime of a 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 89Jimmy, Jul 5, 2003.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I have run Jimmys and k5's since 1989, but always had 350's in 'em. I'm looking at a '86 with a 6.2 and a banks sidewinder turbo kit with a 700r4 tranny. According to the sales schpeil the engine was installed about 60,000 miles ago and the turbo kit about the same time. I'm curious about the life expectancy of the mill. Is 60k a lot of miles for a turbo equipped rig? Are there any major turbo maintainance issues that I should be looking for? I really like the truck and have been wanting a diesal for some time, but I don't want to make a costly mistake because of my ignorance of diesals. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Put your hand on the injector pump and shout, "I BELIEVE"!!!
    John

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

60,000 miles on a diesel???? LMAO that thing is still new,LOL

3. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

With decent care,,,,somewhere around 200-300K miles or so. I replaced my NA 6.2 at 240K because it needed a injector pump. The motor itself was fine, it's just that the new pump was going to be around 300 bucks or so {if I remember right} and I found a used 6.2 with 60-70K miles on it for 500 bucks. Couldn't pas it up.

4. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

The biggest killers are as follows:
    Cracked vibration damper = broken crank
    early glow plugs overheated & blow up
    early glow plugs swell and break off in cylinder when removed

Timing chains stretch & may need to be replaced around 100K
    injector pumps wearing (and they're not cheap)

Mine has 96K miles and doesn't use oil. I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Oh, w/ the Banks, it should be putting out around 207hp and 396 ft/lbs. That's about 66 ft/lbs more than a TBI 350 at its peak year. Even the new ones are only 325 and muuuuch higher on the powerband. Check http://www.bankspower.com for a graph.

Finally, think of the mpgs...

My 6.2 is getting 10mpg in an 11,500# motorhome w/ a TH400, no lockup converter, and the injector pump is leaking at the throttle shaft (yes, a new pump is on order). I should be back to 16s in no time.

The things you DO wnat to consider is that the 86 TH700 was pretty crappy. They didn't get good until 91ish. And the rear axle is 28 spline.

With that much torque, those are the two things I'd be worried about, not the motor.

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I've got a 30 spline 10 bolt rearend out of my '89, if needed, and I've also got a 700r4 that was rebuilt by our local tranny place to what they call their "plow package". I think it uses some later year parts. I think that the diesel trannys have some different specs. I'll have to check that out. I have spent some quality time on Bank's website. (Tough to stop drooling). What do you mean by "early" glow plugs? Can the balancer be checked visually for cracks, or is there some other procedure? Thanks.
    John

6. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Yeah, just look for cracks or if the rubber is squishing out of it. If it's oil-soaked, definitely fix the leak and get a new damper.

The diesels use a different converter & that's all AFAIK (definitely check).

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com has a great article on setting up your TV cable so you don't munch your tranny.

I'm jealous about the Banks, have fun!

Oh, consider a membership to http://www.thedieselpages.com. I've gotten a lot of good info from those guys.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like Banks gets the hp estimate right but sells things short in the torque department.

[ QUOTE ]
    With a rebuilt injection pump amd injectors, 3* timing advance, k&n filter, Stanadyne performance formula, J-code intake, banks stinger, and a sidewinder turbo, the project blazer made 172 hp and 451lb/ft of torque on the chassis dyno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were rear wheel numbers.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Where'd you get the quote from? I want to find out more about the pump he used.

That's incredible for RWHP #s. Bump 'em by 20-30% for drivetrain losses (20% on my M3, 30% on my XJ).

TIA!

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author