Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Amount, Front vs. Rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Mar 15, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Do you find that K5's require considerably more lift in the rear to make them sit level? I know of at least 2 that have 3~4 inches more in the rear but sit dead level. Both of these have spare tire carriers with huge spares, could this be the difference? My old K10 would always sat level even with a fair amount of weight in the bed. I know K5's have the top but that's less than 200lbs so it's equivalent to one adult - no big deal.

I'm close to starting my K5 build, I'm planning on using my 8" front and rear springs but was thinking that I might need a zero rate to level it out at the most. Am I way off? If I need a shackle flip now is the time because the frame is bare. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It will be more or less depending on truck. You are using aftermarket springs. Considering how easy zero rates are to install, you may want to try it without first and see haw level it sits. The top isn't really heavy , but removing it does raise you up a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have 5.5" BDS springs up front and 9" total in back.

The rear is 4" BDS springs, 4" ORD Shackle Flip, and a 1" zero rate...

It sits level, but I have the big tire for a spare and probably 150lbs of tools and other crap in the back...

[​IMG]

4. nvrenuf

Funny, yours is one of the two I was thinking of. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif The other belongs to K5Junkie, I found out over the weekend he has 4" more in the rear than the front. He also runs a 39" spare on a bumper mounted carrier.

Since I will have a 42" spare I guess I'll have to be prepared for the worst. I'll put it together and then start measuring to see what else I need to get. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. nvrenuf

Yeah, the blocks are easy to add. I'm just worried I'll need a larger amount and I've heard the flip kits are a beeyotch to do because of the gas tank.

6. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Since I will have a 42" spare

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are real heavy. You may need the zero rate after all, and maybe a ladder to get in that monster /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. pauly383

I wouldn't want to do it either. I scored an unused echobit kit that so far is working well, the bolt on kit. I would have to remove my receiver/skidplate ( receiver tube runs the whole tank) to get it done with ORD kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just did the shackle flip on mine. I didn't remove the tank, Just lowered it till the lines looked stretched enuf! had plenty of room to get in. The only problem i had, Is the 52", 2" lifted springs are actually shorter from front to rear, straight across. the arch measures 52", but across measures 50"! Now my shackle are leaning foward and I have no droop!

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive got 4" TC EZ ride springs in the front and 6" TC in rear with a zero rate and no weight in the back, no spare and no top. Still wish I was about an inch taller in rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif