Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift and body roll

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have been thinking about getting a 4 or 6 inch roughcountry ezride lift in front. and a shackle flip in the rear. Is anyone running this setup that noticed a big difference in how it handles on the road. (ie does it want to flip over too easy) Currently I dont know what I have on my truck in terms of suspension. I dont know if it is a rancho or stock suspension. In the back there is 2.5 inch blocks, but i dont know if they were put there to compensate for sag or if it was for a lift. In the front I have some really stiff springs. I know my truck came with the "heavy duty front sping option" as it says so in the glove box. Right now I am running 33x12.5 bfg ats, and they have never rubbed. The front springs have a small bow tie emblem on them. I thought it had a small lift when I bought it because of the blocks in the rear and the rancho shocks, but the bow tie on the front springs has me wondering. What do you think I have? It is very very stiff. Harder ride than many 3/4 and 1 tons I have ridden in. Also, will 35s fit with that four inch lift? How about if I get the sway bar disconnects?

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Maybe the fronts are the stock ones with an add-a-leaf? My Blazer still has the stock suspension (22 years) and hasn't needed any blocks in the back.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Heavy duty front springs will have three leaves and 4 shocks.
    My 87 had this option and the ride was terrible.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Stock front springs on a K5 have negative arch. The spring looks like it's bent backwards. If your front springs have positive arch (looks more like the back springs) then you have some type of lift in there.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Handle differently???? hahahahhaha, whoo, thats a good one. I'll say what my brother told me many years ago, if you lift it, you can go real fast in a straight line, but when you want to turn you'd better slow waaaayyyy down. When you change a major characteristic such as height, center of gravity, spring rate, etc. it will handle differently, its just a matter of knowing the limitations of your machine, i can slide my Riviera around corners and take on/offramps at 80 without worrying too much, but i've lifted the rear tires on the Blazer mimicking my Riviera behavior, thats what most people these days don't realize about SUV's they are high, poor handleing and are not sports cars. Just take it easy and "relearn" the feel of your truck after the mods. And what ever you do, buy all the recomended steering correction, that will help alot.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I know it will change my ride charectoristics alot. I guess the real question i should have put is... Is there a big difference in the handeling between an "EZride lift" and a normal lift of the same height? What are the differences between brands? Right now, although it is taller than stock blazers, i can corner very well. I have almost no body lean at all in the corners. That is nice, but too bad i feel evry bump in the road, and have to take my seat belt off to go over speed bumps. I know it never going to ride like a cadilac, but i dont want to have to put one of those kidney belts on the dirt bike racers use either.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5