Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift and insurance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Nov 8, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i pay my insurance bill at the agency in person every month, except last month i used a credit card by phone because i couldnt make it over there. so when i went in yesterday, i payed and got the recipt. the lady looks at me and says "so how big is your lift?". i told her it was four inches, and she went on to tell me that my company only will insure up to a 2 inch lift. after about 30 mins, and her calling to verify that i had the state police inspect it, she told me it would be ok. man what a pain. the ins company will do any thing no to pay out if they have to. not that big
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

never admit to anything. a well placed "i dunno...i bought it that way" diffuses alot.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Never tell them. The only time it EVER benefits you to list what you've got is if you've got an appraised vehicle. What they get off the VIN is enough for them. Unless they want to actually pay what your truck is worth (which you're only going to get if you get it appraised) then don't tell them jack.

If your eighth digit happens to read N and you stick a 502 under the hood it doesn't benefit you any to say you replaced the 262 with a 502. When they ask if your vehicle is modified you simply said "nope, it's the same way as when I bought it". They don't need to know you've got 38" rubber, 1 ton drivetrain, a 502, and get down the quarter mile in 13 seconds.

Unless you have to, don't let them even look at your vehicle. Most insurance places in Michigan don't even care as long as you've got the title. However, make sure you take lots of pictures. And I mean lots. I used to give the doubles to my insurance company in a sealed envelope so they couldn't find out what I had nor could they say I didn't have such and such if I made a claim. Insurance companies will do their best to rape you. And when they're through with you they'll give you to the state for sloppy seconds. They might seem like nice people but when it comes to You versus Them they will stuff you in the rear with a pineapple.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I am always asked if it's modified, and my reply is always nope, I only get liability so I don't care for the value, I just don't want them to raise my premiums because the truck become more dangerous or can make more damage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nice truck though..funny thing is it looks almost like mine! lol..when i get my lift and tires/wheels on i think are trucks are going to look about the same!

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow i got 7" of lift and my ins co. don't care! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif as long as you got the title they're happy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Well..I really believe you should check with your insurance about lifts (don't have to say who you are) and check around with other agents because what happens when you get in an accident and they weren't disclosed about your lift? Who's to say they have to cover an undisclosed-modified vehicle? We all know that a few inches of lift doesn't make a difference for highway safety when installed correctly, but how do they know you're not 'Jerry the redneck mekkanical indeneeer' and they'll call you on it. Point is-what's the end result of insurance needs.
    Say, when are you going to paint? Still orange/white?

8. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

yeah i am still planning on orange and white, probably in the spring.
    as far as not saying anything about mods, i learned a lesson once and almost the hard way. the vehical i had prior to the jimmy, was a 94 Z-28, i had a lot of work and extras on it and used to race it every wednesday and friday night at the 2 local tracks. it got t boned at an intercetion on a wed morning. so it had the vynal #'s on the windows, the skinny's on the front and the M/T et streets on the rear, and the "test pipe" and cutout on it. when it got towed to the body shop the guy there really liked the car. he told the tow truck driver to take it to my house, and when i got there he told me to go home and put ALL the stock stuff back on it before my ins company or the police could look at it. he told me that if they had seen the stuff that was on my car wether it was my fault or not i would be SCRE*ED. so i spent about 12 hours that night putting the stock parts back on my twisted up camaro. im glad i did it , and am also glad i tell the ins company about these things now /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

question, i have liability and comprehensive (fire, flood, theft, vandilism) they didn't ask anything, except year, make, model, vin. So blue book might be 2 grand, i bought it for 3300, and have a little over 6 in it (tires, axles, here and there stuff) what do i get in the end?

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Best have it apraised, then go talk to your insurence co.

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If you're lucky you will get something for it. Most of the time insurance companies will give less than blue book for it.

PLPD gets you nothing. All it does is protect you from personal liability and property damage. I have PLPD because it's not worth full coverage. I'd be paying twice what I am now and I'd still get virtually nothing for my truck.

If I were you, I'd check with your insurance company to see how much you can buy your vehicle back from them in case you total it. Most people think I'm nuts when I say this (including some of the people I wheel with) but most insurance companies will let you buy your vehicle back for $500-$1000.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

My sentiments exactly, I only have PLPD, and I don't pay much insurance, all I care about is not having to pay anyone that I might hit.
    For my cars and trucks, I don't want anything from my insurance.
    I did the math one time and I figured one year's worth of insurance premium would be enough to put it back together if it got totaled, so I keep the money, and so far in 3 years no accidents so that much money I saved /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    But then again, I rarely have thousands in mine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I pay $450 for six months. $100 comprehensive costs another $120 for six months. Basically, I'd have to replace a windshield every six months to get my money's worth. In general, insurance claim that a vehicle is totaled once the cost to fix the vehicle reaches 90% of bluebook. That means if I crashed my truck and mangled it to the point where it wasn't cost effective for them to pay to have it fixed they'd give me ~$1500 for it. I paid $1900. It's worth ~$5500 going rate now.

14. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

If you claim too much on your insurance if you have full coverage it will be hard to renew it. A couple years ago they didnt want to renew my mom's insurance because she had "too many claims." The only thing she's ever claimed is chipped windshields, one new windshield and hail damage on a truck we used to have. She hasnt had any accidents or tickets either.

Insurance is a big rip off. You pay all that money to them and then if you have a few small claims they want to cancel it. Right now they're screwing everyone over in TX by charging according to credit history. Good credit= higher prices /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif