Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift and shackle flip ? for ORD

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by yunit, Jun 23, 2001.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Instead of calling you guys up to harass you I decided it would be best to post in here instead. I am planning a 6" lift for my 87 Jimmy, the following is what I plan to do with my suspension.

6" front springs
    4" springs in the rear
    2.5" shackle flip for the rear with Revolver shackle's

My question is should I even bother with all of these items for the rear or should I just install 6" springs front and rear? With a 6" lift what modifications would you suggest I make to my underbody so everything is sound. My truck is an 87 with a 700r4/208 combo. Also how do you feel about using the revolver shackles on a full size? Thanks in advance for your response, Pete.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why not run 2" block or springs and a 4" shackle flip?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You'll have better ride and flex with the shorter spring, Tim's right, I'd recommend a 4" flip with the 2.5 or 3" spring.
    You will want to run a CV jointed rear driveshaft. I think they're still about $350 from Tom Wood's, and worth all of it. You will not be able to get the ujoint angles right for going down the highway without it. It may come close, but you can ask "moneypit" about a cv shaft. He had the same experience as me, fighting it for years then buying a CV and wishing he'd done it sooner.

On the revolvers, they're planning on coming out with a version for a fullsize around this winter sometime, but I'm personally not a huge fan of goofy shackle setups. I've seen too many potential problems (axlewrap being one of them) with them to recommend them without trying them out first.

I'd run it with a standard shackle for a while and see what it does, it may be fine for you.

Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot Stephen you'll be hearing from me next week with my order.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650