Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift and Suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ThreeBills$, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ThreeBills$

ThreeBills$ Registered Member

Hi all, I am still new to off roading so I have a question about suspension. I have an 89 k-5 blazer, with 3 inch superlift and 2 inch body and it rides terrible. I have been doing research and found that many people suggest tc leafs up front and a ord shackle out back. Is there a benefit to running larger leaf springs ? I also would like to know what you would suggest as far as shocks ? Thanks

I am trying to fit 37's or 38's

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, it all depends on your wallet.

If you are new to this, get used to it first. You are going to have all kinds of people tell you what you "need". Only you can really decide that though.

If you are into doing modifications and are comfortable with tools, then most of what is done here will be nothing overly challenging.

I recommend BDS front springs, and either a shackle flip in the rear, or lifted BDS rear springs. BDS has the best warranty onthe market and IMO their 4-6" lift springs ride/flex better than stock.

If you don't mind a bit of trimming you can run 37's-38's on your current lift. If you do not want to trim anything, you'll need to run at least a 6" susp. lift in addition to your body lift. I ran 38's w/ a 4" susp lift and 3" body lift for years. I would rub frequently.

Bottom line is that you need to decide what you will use the rig for and build it accordingly. What do you intend to do with it? Light wheeling/daily driving? Or will it be a hardcore trail rig? Do you cringe are dents and scratches, or do you wear them like a badge of honor? It's all up to you man. It's your truck, build it how you want. :cool:

3. ThreeBills$

I want to be able to do anything. I have purchased a 14 ff and am in the process of getting a Dana 60 front. I just wanted to know the best way to get the lift I want without sacrificing quality. I have read a lot on this web site about people using larger leafs to get more lift, I was wondering if it is worth it and how much work it takes. I assume I will have to change some things if I put in larger leafs, is that correct or do they pretty much bolt into the stock holes ?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Let me ask this; what kind of wheeling are you into ?? Rock, Mud, Trails, ...ect. Tall lifts are fine for mudding, but you want a lower center of gravity on the rocks.

5. ThreeBills$

I am more into trails and rocks. I occasionaly do mud, but nothing to serious.